I have to tell someone!!!

ELopez

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised they haven't figured it out yet, because I am SO EXCITED about this trip to "VISIT tHE IN-LAWS". My husband keeps cracking up.

We will probably tell them in the morning (the day we leave), because we have a 500 mile drive, and I think watching the planning DVD and talking about all that we are going to ride will make the time pass.

DisneyWood

Disney Dollars

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised they haven't figured it out yet, because I am SO EXCITED about this trip to "VISIT tHE IN-LAWS". My husband keeps cracking up.

We will probably tell them in the morning (the day we leave), because we have a 500 mile drive, and I think watching the planning DVD and talking about all that we are going to ride will make the time pass.

Here is an idea: tell each child that you are going to give them a little spending money for their trip to buy whatever. Then, give each child an envelope filled w/ Disney Dollars. They will probably give you a confused look, and you tell them they can use them anywhere in DISNEY WORLD.

Have a great trip. There is no way that I could hold out that long. Wow.

Nemo14

have a wonderful trip!

Why not put it to a vote when you're on the road, and have one of the adults vote for going to the in-laws 'til the kids convince him/her to go to WDW!

disneygal78

One thing my mom did to last the long drive from Indiana to Florida when we were young was give us a little "present" every so often. It was usually a coloing book or small toy to play with and keep us occupied. (Of course, this was before there were car DVD players :) ) You could give them little gifts as "hints" and then the last thing could be your planning video as the "big reveal." Just a suggestion. Have a blast!!! :wave:

ThinkTink721

Are you sure the baby won't tell?

Since you have all girls, try The Princess Tea Party at the Grand Floridian or Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at the castle or Downtown Disney.
They may also enjoy the Pirate Cruise.

Have a great trip!

:D :wave:

kubfish

That really is awesome. If you could hold out would wait until you pull into Disneyworld, video tape their expressions.

No matter how you tell them, this will be one vacation they will never forget just because of the surprise factor... Have a great vaction!!!

14 days

kcnole

That reminds me of how I asked my wife to marry me. She knew that I'd bought the ring but I told her that I replaced some of the stones (which I did) and that it was taking a long time to get done due to problems getting the new stones, etc due to Hurricane Ivan which had just come through.

So we decided to just take a weekend and go to the beach. We got up the next morning and went out on the balcony to watch the sun come up. She eventually made some comment about how wonderful this was and how it would have been the perfect time if I had the ring. So I said ok, got down on one knee, and took out the ring. She screamed and cried and cried. She said she had no clue I was going to do that.

I think were I to do your plan. I just wouldn't tell them and just drive in and see if they figured it out eventually.

Mick G.

My advice: Try not telling them until you drive onto the property. A couple of years ago, we tried this with our kids, telling them that we were going with Daddy to a "conference in South Georgia." It's a 2-day drive for us, and we got all the way to our hotel in Tifton [which really is in South Georgia], and we told them that morning, before we left for the final leg of the trip. Yeah, they went nuts, and the video was rolling. They were 4 and 6 at the time, and I didn't think we could make it into Orlando without them figuring it out.

But, they were really busy drawing on the trip, and they weren't watching the signs at all, so I do think we could have made it to WDW without them noticing. I really wish we hadn't told them at the hotel, because I think that was our last chance to pull this trick. Now they both read really well, and we couldn't pull this off. Plus, I think they know the route down I-75 pretty well.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I vote for not telling them until you're almost there. What a wonderful surprise for them. I'm sure it will be a "magical moment" and a very fond memory that they will look back on all their lives. :D I would never be able to keep the secret, good work!

Have a great trip and make sure to tell us how it all goes! :wave:

JimboJones123

We've tried this a few times.

2/4 at the time
First time they were like "okay, I knew were were going again soon" and went back to what they were doing.

Another time we told them that we were going wake up early for something as they went to bed. When they got up we dressed the girls in their princess t-shirts. The oldest said, "why am I wearing this?? We're going to Disney World aren't we." SHE WAS 5!!!

So better luck to you. My kids have us read like a pop up book and know well before hand because of our excitement.

Guess we need to try the "fake" trip next time.

hcswingfield

A friend of mine didn't tell his kids until they got to the big gateway into WDW. He pointed to the sign and said "Hey kids, what does that say?" They thought they were going to visit their grandmother.

EvilQueen81

That is so cool. When I went when I was younger I had to listen to them complain about how expensive it was months before we went. We don't have kids yet but sometimes I wish it was a surprise for us every time we go so we didn't have to sit here for 3 months and think about how much fun its going to be.:lol:

JimboJones123

A friend of mine didn't tell his kids until they got to the big gateway into WDW. He pointed to the sign and said "Hey kids, what does that say?" They thought they were going to visit their grandmother.
We'd do that, but they would be upset that we wern't seeing grandma. Usually Grandma just meets us down there anyways though.

Laura

Premium Member
I just pulled the same surprise on my kids in June. We told them we were going to a very big toy store, and they were excited about that so they didn't complain during the 2 day drive. When we pulled onto property I asked my son if he could see the toy store yet and his eyes bugged out of his head when he saw the entrance sign. He said "WE'RE IN DISNEY WORLD!" in complete disbelief. It was priceless and I have it all on video, and I want to get it off my camcorder and onto the computer, however, I need a firewire cable. :lol:

lilclerk

Another time we told them that we were going wake up early for something as they went to bed. When they got up we dressed the girls in their princess t-shirts. The oldest said, "why am I wearing this?? We're going to Disney World aren't we." SHE WAS 5!!!

Haha I can completely picture my 5-year-old nephew saying that. Hilarious.

mousefan1972

We've tried this a few times.

2/4 at the time
First time they were like "okay, I knew were were going again soon" and went back to what they were doing.

I can see my just-turned-4 year old DD saying the same thing... she misses nothing!! We had an 8 month span (9/06-5/07) where we went to WDW 3 times (vacation twice, once for DH's work conference where the kids and I hit the parks:D ), so when we told DD we were on "vacation" the week of the 4th of July (staying home, btw), she said, oh good we're going to Disney again!!! She asked us every day that week, are we going to Disney today?She's associates "vacation" with "going on a plane to Disney World". Too bad for us we don't go again until next Spring... Have fun and please tell us how it goes!!

ELopez

Original Poster
Sorry to be a disappointment, but I think we will spring the news on them sometime Saturday morning.

I just can't imagine that long drive without talking about it! That's what gets me through the day - reading my Unofficial Guide and planning every detail on the way there!!

Not to mention the fact that they have to find out outside the van. Because when the screaming commenses, the little one will be traumatized, so I will have to have them contain their excitement (which would be NO fun).

We are thinking about giving them something in the parking lot at breakfast. I just bought the PotC 2 DVD, so maybe that. Or packing all their Disney stuff (hats, pin lanyards, kids' planning books, etc) and handing it to them saying, "You might need this".

We should be back on the 8th. I will let you know how it goes. If hubby takes his laptop, I will post sooner!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom