I had the best wine ever at Epcot-what was it?

noname70

Original Poster
I was fortunate enough to enjoy the "Menu Degustation" or sampler meal at Bistro de Paris (with the wine pairing). One of the companion wines was a white that the waiter told me was a "pinot blanc". Doesn't that mean "white wine"? Anyway, it was the best wine I've ever tasted in my life. Can anyone out there help as find out what wine this was (and maybe where I can find it!) Thank you :shrug:

Timekeeper

Does any of this ring a bell?

- Menu Degustation -

Saffron and mussels soup
Or
Organic smoked salmon dome with blue crab lemon grass vinaigrette and curry biscuit
Or
Foie gras terrine with apple Calvados cake, pruneaux coulis (add $5.00)

Vouvray "Peu de la Moriette", Dom. Pichot 2004

Atlantic Red Snapper, vegetable spaghetti, saffron sauce
Or
Seared scallops skewer, braised green cabbage with bacon, tomato blinis

Pinot Blanc, Willm 2004

Strawberry & basilica granite, key lime sorbet, pomegranate liquor

Grilled beef tenderloin with morels, potatoes and shallot confite
Or
Chicken breast stuffed with porcinis mushrooms and proscuitto, macaroni with black truffle gratin, baby onions

Ch. Tour de Segur, Lussac St. Emilion, 2000

French assortment of cows and goats cheese, mixed salad, toasted bread, pine nuts and chives. (Add $5.00)

Desserts assortments:

Strawberry millefeuille, mint ice cream
Vanilla crème brulee
Pineapple and Coconut summer tart
Warm chocolate cake with 70% dark chocolate
Marquis de Perlade, Blanc de Blanc

$120.00 including wine pairings $75.00 without wine

P7193.jpg

noname70

Original Poster
It must have been the Pinot Blanc, Willm 2004. I just did a quick google search and found bottles of Pinot Blanc Willm for $12. This can't be the same thing can it ($12??) Is Pinot Blanc, Willm a brand name or a type of wine. Forgive my ignorance on this.
thanks

agent86

It must have been the Pinot Blanc, Willm 2004. I just did a quick google search and found bottles of Pinot Blanc Willm for $12. This can't be the same thing can it ($12??) Is Pinot Blanc, Willm a brand name or a type of wine. Forgive my ignorance on this.
thanks

Willm is the vintner (the wine maker) and Pinot Blanc is the varietal (type of grape). Why do you think it "can't be the same thing" just because you found it for $12?

noname70

Original Poster
Willm is the vintner (the wine maker) and Pinot Blanc is the varietal (type of grape). Why do you think it "can't be the same thing" just because you found it for $12?

Because at that restaurant I'd be lucky to get a glass for $12-let alone a bottle.

DivineMadness7

Because at that restaurant I'd be lucky to get a glass for $12-let alone a bottle.

Yeah but their markup is likely huge. I'm no wine connoisseur, but I've had some excellent $12/bottle wine. Price doesn't ALWAYS connote quality, though I do understand why you were surprised as I probably would be as well.

BSikor

thanks

Yep. That's it. It is a very good wine. You've got good taste. If you like that one, take a look in your neighborhood wine shop for Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc. It has a lot of the same flavor notes.

yankspy

Keep in mind that a restaurant will have a huge mark-up on alcohol. A bottle of wine that would cost you ten dollars at a store will likely cost you around forty in a restaurant. Being that it is disney, add a few more dollars on top of the usual mark-up.

Timekeeper

One cannot discount their environment when it comes to taste. The glass of wine that you enjoyed in Paris was also enhanced by your overall experience, mood, setting, etc. This is particularly true if you are still developing your palette and among non-connoisseurs. So when you bring that same bottle of wine home, pour it into your paper cup, under your fluorescent lighting, to the scent of your cheap Glade plug-in, the juxtaposition may disgust you, and you'll find yourself wondering why you paid $12 for a bottle of toilette water.

...Oh heck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

(But everything's better at Disney, right?)

dixiegirl

Yeah but their markup is likely huge. I'm no wine connoisseur, but I've had some excellent $12/bottle wine. Price doesn't ALWAYS connote quality, though I do understand why you were surprised as I probably would be as well.

Exactly!!!! We had gone oneyaer during The Wine and Food Festival...Great time to try different wine , well I had tried (not realizing that itwas sold in Italy in Epcot ) It's by Banfi , Rosa Regala a sparkling red dessert wine.....YUMMO!!! I could have drank the whole bottle..Which I did do once I got home and located it at our local liquor store..Being a sparkling wine you really can't put it back in the fridge once opened(dam :ROFLOL:) But Anyway to get to my point, here it cost me 16.00 for the same bottle that is sold at Epcot for 40.00:eek: crazy huh??? And to buy it for 8.00 a glass is still crazy when you realize how many glasses you can get out of one bottle....although for me I like a big , big ,big glass...like a goblet!!!!

dixiegirl

Just love that quote...Isn't it true though....We costantly compare things, "oh you know where they have great" or "this is sooooo much better at Disney World"....My inlaws or always saying that...'let me guess Disney"... When certain things come out of our mouth.......But yes its true Everything is better at Disney.......It's so freakin MAGICAL!!!!!

yankspy

Exactly!!!! We had gone oneyaer during The Wine and Food Festival...Great time to try different wine , well I had tried (not realizing that itwas sold in Italy in Epcot ) It's by Banfi , Rosa Regala a sparkling red dessert wine.....YUMMO!!! I could have drank the whole bottle..Which I did do once I got home and located it at our local liquor store..Being a sparkling wine you really can't put it back in the fridge once opened(dam :ROFLOL:) But Anyway to get to my point, here it cost me 16.00 for the same bottle that is sold at Epcot for 40.00:eek: crazy huh??? And to buy it for 8.00 a glass is still crazy when you realize how many glasses you can get out of one bottle....although for me I like a big , big ,big glass...like a goblet!!!!
If you like dessert wines you might want to try Inniskillin. They make an icewine. It is actually Canadian. It is a little pricey but good.

Phonedave

One cannot discount their environment when it comes to taste. The glass of wine that you enjoyed in Paris was also enhanced by your overall experience, mood, setting, etc. This is particularly true if you are still developing your palette and among non-connoisseurs. So when you bring that same bottle of wine home, pour it into your paper cup, under your fluorescent lighting, to the scent of your cheap Glade plug-in, the juxtaposition may disgust you, and you'll find yourself wondering why you paid $12 for a bottle of toilette water.

...Oh heck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

I have the opposite problem. When I drink my Boone's Farm Strawberry Wine out of a glass at a restaruant, it never tastes quite the same as when out of the paper cup at home ...... :D

-dave

sublimesting

Before the DW and I got a bit more classy, wine was enjoyed in a 24 oz. tumbler.

agent86

As others have pointed out, restaurants mark up wine by quite a bit. And as another poster said, add a few additional bucks because it's Disney. Because of this, it shouldn't be TOO surprising that you found that same wine for $12. That's why I was wondering why you thought it couldn't be the same stuff.

As a little tidbit of wine trivia (I'm a huge wine buff in addition to being a huge Disney buff), different wines are marked up differently by restaurants (i.e. they are not all marked up by the same percentage). As a general rule, the wine that is usually marked up the most is the one that is listed on the menu as the second cheapest. This is based on the fact that most people who don't know much about wine will usually order the second cheapest one on the menu. This is because people don't usually want to appear "cheap" by ordering the very cheapest one. But they tend to think they are still paying a relatively fair price if they go with the second cheapest one. Restaurants know this, so they often mark that one up the most.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom