I got a "special" offer! Well sort of...

Plowboy

Original Poster
This seems as good a category as any to post this. I just got off the phone with Walt Disney Travel and I can't quite believe what just happened. Earlier today we received an e-mail from Disney touting a "special" offer pertaining to our 1 night stay at Pop Century in December. Contained within the e-mail was a "unique code" that we were to mention when calling WDT or going through the My Disney Experience app. I tried the app and couldn't find anywhere that pertained to the instructions in the e-mail so I called WDT. The lady I reached was very pleasant and told me that Disney wanted our room. I asked her what the offer was. She said that in exchange for my existing 1 night reservation at Pop, Disney would upgrade my room if (here it comes!!!) we were to pay the difference between the existing reservation and the proposed upgraded reservation. What??????????? In which universe is it acceptable to require the customer pay for an upgrade that Disney proposed and wants us to take advantage of? Call me old fashioned but w t h was that!

dodgr98

In the Parks
No
This seems as good a category as any to post this. I just got off the phone with Walt Disney Travel and I can't quite believe what just happened. Earlier today we received an e-mail from Disney touting a "special" offer pertaining to our 1 night stay at Pop Century in December. Contained within the e-mail was a "unique code" that we were to mention when calling WDT or going through the My Disney Experience app. I tried the app and couldn't find anywhere that pertained to the instructions in the e-mail so I called WDT. The lady I reached was very pleasant and told me that Disney wanted our room. I asked her what the offer was. She said that in exchange for my existing 1 night reservation at Pop, Disney would upgrade my room if (here it comes!!!) we were to pay the difference between the existing reservation and the proposed upgraded reservation. What??????????? In which universe is it acceptable to require the customer pay for an upgrade that Disney proposed and wants us to take advantage of? Call me old fashioned but w t h was that!
I had a very similar offer for my stay at Pop (that starts tomorrow). The rate offered was a little bit better than the rate posted on the website. I passed on it.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I'm curious how many people take the offers so WDW can then "resell" the original room and then repeat the cycle with THAT guest. Must be working well for them because I'm seeing a lot of posts about these "special offers".

jloucks

Lol, that is some car salesman gymnastics right there.

...did they also ask about your extended warranty?

Seriously tho, the airlines used to do it all the time. Offer upgrades to first class for a discount rate. I used to take them up on it too.

...then they stopped, not sure why. I suspect they started giving priority to their metal class members and not the regular travelers.

I am so old, that when I was on my honeymoon, American Airlines upgraded us to first class for free as a wedding present. They don't do that anymore lol.

Dad 2 M & M

We've received this in the past, sometimes just BEFORE completing the ressie, and more often ex post facto..

Not Disney exclusive practice here, and the pitch is always an upgrade at a reduced price.

Don't recall the "reduced upgrade" ever being substantial enough to pry us loose of our original ressie....

JIMINYCR

Some people only hear "Upgrade " and think they must be getting offered something better. Even without a discount or even exchange they dont mind having to pay for it. Theres always a percentage of gullible people who fall for these ploys from every industry which makes it profitable for them to try. Even getting a 1 % success of return makes it worth trying.

DisneyFanatic12

This is sad. I remember back in the day we had a stay booked at the All-Stars. They claimed that they overbooked the resort, and they asked if we would be ok with being relocated to a one-bedroom at Jambo House. It was a free upgrade, which just seemed expected at the time. Crazy how times change. One of our friends flight was cancelled, and they were charged a rebooking fee to get a new one…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It gets even better…their official “policy” was to side grade people if they have to walk them 😂

Which nobody ever did

But to even put to paper inconvenience without compensation should kick Disney out of any hospitality organization forever without a blink.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News

So Let me Get this Straight.....

ppete1975

Seriously tho, the airlines used to do it all the time. Offer upgrades to first class for a discount rate. I used to take them up on it too.

...then they stopped, not sure why. I suspect they started giving priority to their metal class members and not the regular travelers.

I am so old, that when I was on my honeymoon, American Airlines upgraded us to first class for free as a wedding present. They don't do that anymore lol.
1696018892257.png

Dad 2 M & M

To the original poster:

If they called me and suggested that…a simple “GFY” followed by intense laughter would be the response
You’d say that to the lady that said this:

“The lady I reached was very pleasant and told me that Disney wanted our room. “

Uhhh….was she related to George Glass? Or just grossly incompetent?

I'd HAVE to dance for a minute just to see how far down the Yellow Brick Road she'd go......while she could be savvy enough to flip the script, giving all the leverage away with that statement would piqued my curiosity enough to see just how unprepared she was.......entertainment value seemed to be close by........

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

You forgot about the rustproofing and window etching…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom