Pre-Trip I Can't Believe We're Doing This

Bear with me here. As I continue to process the fact that we just booked this trip, I find myself a little overwhelmed. It has been a while since I've been active here and, the primary reason for that is the fact that our last trip (January 2015) didn't go so well. The reasons behind that are long but, if you are really interested, just take a look at the trip report from that visit. Anyway, I had to take a break from the forums because we had to take a break from vacations for a while. The good news is, things are much much better now in our world and, with the help of a nice little cash out refinance on our mortgage, I was just able to book our next trip.

There is one huge difference between this trip and the ones we've taken in the past... we are doing more than just living on WDW property. *gasp* In fact, we will be resort hopping, park hopping (including outside of WDW parks) and staying in places we've never stayed before. I decided to share this pre-trip report as, frankly, I'd love everyone's thoughts and advice. This trip will be a whole new world for all 3 of us.

Resort #1 - All Star Music - Standard Room (05/01 - 05/04)
We've stayed in All Star Movies quite a few times, but never Music so, I'm excited about this selection. I wanted to build in dining wherever I could for the trip but, with how chaotic things will be when it comes to resort and park hopping, I decided to go with QS dining while visiting the WDW parks. This way, very little is truly "scheduled" and we can move about freely and change plans on the fly.
05/01 - Driving ~9 Hours, Relaxing at the Pool, etc. - ADRs for Boma Dinner
05/02 - Magic Kingdom (Park Hopper)

SM, POTC & 7DMT FP+ Selections
05/03 - Epcot (Park Hopper)
SSE, Nemo & TT FP+ Selections

Resort #2 - Legoland Resort - Adventure Premium Room (05/04 - 05/05)
Both Legoland and the Legoland Resort Hotel are completely new experiences for us. Because we'll have 3 days of dining from our stay at ASMU, we'll be carrying over some credits to feed us before and after Legoland opens, somewhere on property (likely the ASMU food court). Then, we have the included breakfast for the morning of the 5th before we checkout.
05/04 - Legoland

Resort #3 - Universal's Cabana Bay Resort - Standard Room (05/05 - 05/07)

My first, and only visit to Universal was in 1992 so, I might as well have never been because everything is different. My son and husband have never been either. As I said, I built in dining wherever I could just to reduce stress a bit and, Universal is no exception. In addition to 2-days of QS dining, I also added the Superstar Character Breakfast on 05/06.
05/05 - Universal Studios (Park Hopper)
05/06 - Islands of Adventure (Park Hopper)

(Note: I wasn't originally going to go with Park Hopper but, because of the breakfast being at the Studios, and that being our second day at Universal and likely when we'll hit Islands of Adventure, I went ahead and did it so we could pop between the two).

05/07 - Both the Legoland Package, as well as the Universal Package, included free days with the tickets I selected. We will be driving home on this day but, I figure we may go back and do some of our favorite things at either Legoland or the Universal Parks (or maybe both) and then get on the road sometime before 1:00 if at all possible.

So there it is... an insane trip of bouncing between resorts and properties and doing a ton of stuff we've never done. I'm hoping the insanity of it is ultimately what makes it great. My son's issues sort of being forced to reset themselves each time we are moving to someplace new. Fingers crossed all goes well!

Any suggestions on the resort hopping? That's probably the thing I'm most in need of insider tips on. Obviously on our checkout days, we'll be checking out early and heading to a park, and then checking in later that afternoon on a break or at the end of our park day but, any ideas on how to make sure we don't leave things behind or make a mess of this would be great!

Last edited:

wdwfamilynh

Bear with me here. As I continue to process the fact that we just booked this trip, I find myself a little overwhelmed. It has been a while since I've been active here and, the primary reason for that is the fact that our last trip (January 2015) didn't go so well. The reasons behind that are long but, if you are really interested, just take a look at the trip report from that visit. Anyway, I had to take a break from the forums because we had to take a break from vacations for a while. The good news is, things are much much better now in our world and, with the help of a nice little cash out refinance on our mortgage, I was just able to book our next trip.

There is one huge difference between this trip and the ones we've taken in the past... we are doing more than just living on WDW property. *gasp* In fact, we will be resort hopping, park hopping (including outside of WDW parks) and staying in places we've never stayed before. I decided to share this pre-trip report as, frankly, I'd love everyone's thoughts and advice. This trip will be a whole new world for all 3 of us.

Resort #1 - All Star Music - Standard Room (05/01 - 05/04)
We've stayed in All Star Movies quite a few times, but never Music so, I'm excited about this selection. I wanted to build in dining wherever I could for the trip but, with how chaotic things will be when it comes to resort and park hopping, I decided to go with QS dining while visiting the WDW parks. This way, very little is truly "scheduled" and we can move about freely and change plans on the fly.
05/01 - Driving ~9 Hours, Relaxing at the Pool, etc.
05/02 - Magic Kingdom (Park Hopper)

SM, POTC & 7DMT FP+ Selections
05/03 - Epcot (Park Hopper)
SSE, Nemo & TT FP+ Selections

Resort #2 - Legoland Resort - Adventure Premium Room (05/04 - 05/05)
Both Legoland and the Legoland Resort Hotel are completely new experiences for us. Because we'll have 3 days of dining from our stay at ASMU, we'll be carrying over some credits to feed us before and after Legoland opens, somewhere on property (likely the ASMU food court). Then, we have the included breakfast for the morning of the 5th before we checkout.
05/04 - Legoland

Resort #3 - Universal's Cabana Bay Resort - Standard Room (05/05 - 05/07)

My first, and only visit to Universal was in 1992 so, I might as well have never been because everything is different. My son and husband have never been either. As I said, I built in dining wherever I could just to reduce stress a bit and, Universal is no exception. In addition to 2-days of QS dining, I also added the Superstar Character Breakfast on 05/06.
05/05 - Universal Studios (Park Hopper)
05/06 - Islands of Adventure (Park Hopper)

(Note: I wasn't originally going to go with Park Hopper but, because of the breakfast being at the Studios, and that being our second day at Universal and likely when we'll hit Islands of Adventure, I went ahead and did it so we could pop between the two).

05/07 - Both the Legoland Package, as well as the Universal Package, included free days with the tickets I selected. We will be driving home on this day but, I figure we may go back and do some of our favorite things at either Legoland or the Universal Parks (or maybe both) and then get on the road sometime before 1:00 if at all possible.

So there it is... an insane trip of bouncing between resorts and properties and doing a ton of stuff we've never done. I'm hoping the insanity of it is ultimately what makes it great. My son's issues sort of being forced to reset themselves each time we are moving to someplace new. Fingers crossed all goes well!

Any suggestions on the resort hopping? That's probably the thing I'm most in need of insider tips on. Obviously on our checkout days, we'll be checking out early and heading to a park, and then checking in later that afternoon on a break or at the end of our park day but, any ideas on how to make sure we don't leave things behind or make a mess of this would be great!

I just found this report and linked back to you last pre-trip and trip reports. Your family deserves this vacation more than anything in the world!!! I hope all goes well (I know I couldn't handle the resort hopping...but I'm just too uptight about things like that and wish I could be more flexible like YOU) and, if there are rough sports during your trip, I hope you still capture (and really focus on) the best times. Watching the photo slideshow and the pool video reminded me (in a BIG way) that on our next trip (still 200+ days away...SIGH), I need to let go of the schedules and the "perfect" trip I always have in my head, go with whatever happens...and MOST OF ALL, just have FUN :) Can't wait to see more!!!

monykalyn

Our 2015 trip we did resort and park hopping too. So much easier when you have a car; we did 3 days Caribbean Beach, 3 days Beach club (we actually had an overlapping day of when we checked out of BC and into our timeshare-did this on purpose so as to not be "homeless" for long, and it was during Star Wars weekends and I didn't want to have to interrupt the fun ); then onto Marriott Sabal Palms-we had the condo for 7 days, but did an overnight at Royal Pacific 2 days after moving to condo to get Express passes for all 5 of us (cheaper than buying for even 1 day) and I had credit card rewards which payed for the hotel (bonus-had enough to do club level too).

One tip I picked up was to pack essentials in one bag (tooth brushes, swim suits, shoes etc) that you always use. One bag for first resort (clothes for everyone), another bag for 2nd resort etc, The "resort" bag then becomes the dirty laundry bag. This way we only had 2 bags (plus kids personal items) to keep track of. Of course this changed at the condo as it had laundry in the unit and I did laundry on down days :)
We will be doing another split stay in August-2nd part at Saratoga Springs. Not sure about first few days yet as my middle kid has band camp-we are going to drop off the oldest kid for her DCP internship and I and probably youngest kid will go with her, then DH and middle DD will come down a few days later. I actually like doing split stays!

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Hi
Great looking trip
At universal you will be happy that you paid for the hopper
The hog warts express train goes from US to IOA and back
But you need the hopper to ride it
Enjoy
Max
Well, I had heard that was the main benefit of having it but, no one in our family is really into the Potter stuff so it wasn't a make or break initially. Don't get me wrong, we'll love the Potter area etc. but the train alone wasn't enough motivation to do it is all. :D

I love All Star Music! :)
Fabulous! We've been to ASMO so many times I've lost count but never to ASMU so I'm excited for the change!

I just found this report and linked back to you last pre-trip and trip reports. Your family deserves this vacation more than anything in the world!!! I hope all goes well (I know I couldn't handle the resort hopping...but I'm just too uptight about things like that and wish I could be more flexible like YOU) and, if there are rough sports during your trip, I hope you still capture (and really focus on) the best times. Watching the photo slideshow and the pool video reminded me (in a BIG way) that on our next trip (still 200+ days away...SIGH), I need to let go of the schedules and the "perfect" trip I always have in my head, go with whatever happens...and MOST OF ALL, just have FUN :) Can't wait to see more!!!
Thank you so so very much for this comment! My goal is definitely to focus on the positive, and to try to keep my husband doing the same. :)

One tip I picked up was to pack essentials in one bag (tooth brushes, swim suits, shoes etc) that you always use. One bag for first resort (clothes for everyone), another bag for 2nd resort etc, The "resort" bag then becomes the dirty laundry bag. This way we only had 2 bags (plus kids personal items) to keep track of. Of course this changed at the condo as it had laundry in the unit and I did laundry on down days :)
Fantastic suggestion! I didn't even think of the fact that I may want to pack a little differently, especially for those essentials we'll need quick access to. I'll definitely have to rethink how I tend to organize things!

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
I just have to share, this trip is fairly unusual in that I haven't had to edit this post at all. Every pre-trip I've done in the past ended up with edit after edit, changing things we planned, changing FP+ selections, changing dining, etc. This time around we're pretty much sticking to how we planned the day everything was booked! The only edit (which I'm about to make) is we booked Boma for dinner the night we arrive!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom