I am really starting to get concerned about the bed bug problem.

headwithfire

I tried to find a related post so I aplogize if this is a double thread:
This Nov will be our 3rd trip to Disney World and with our soon to be 5 year old son. This year we decided to stay at the Wilderness lodge VIllas.
I am really getting concerned about the bed bug epidemic.
Does anyone know what type of precautions that Disney is taking?
I have a plan of action with my luggage. My clothes will be in space saver bags then once out of the luggage, the luggage will be in a trash bag. I am doing this to avoid bringing them into the room with us from the airplane.
Anyone who has been there recently, can you tell me if noticed any precautions? Like matteresses being incased?

I am so excited about our trip, I am not going to let this ruin it. I just like to be proactive.

snowpony

The good news is they cannot make you stay in a room with them. They need to find you a new room at the level you paid for or upgrade you. Simply check for them before "moving" in. If there are any signs, then go back to the office and have them change your room.

I knew someone who lived in a place that had bedbugs, and those bites sure were nasty!

I have never encountered bedbugs before. Are there any initial signs to watch out for in order to find out if a room is infested?

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Got back home from WDW this past Thursday, 8 nights at PORS had no issues and no one was reporting issues. 2 nights at the All Star Movies and no issues and did not hear anyone complain about this issue either. Driving from South NJ to FLA and back stayed at Holiday in Expresses and had no issues. Hopes this helps a bit.

Upvote 0

Mammymouse

I was just in Home Depot and in the first aisle they had three different displays with anti - bed bug sprays. I didn't think anything you could buy was effective, that you needed a professional.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I was just in Home Depot and in the first aisle they had three different displays with anti - bed bug sprays. I didn't think anything you could buy was effective, that you needed a professional.

Some people will buy anything.

Nothing like sleeping in a bed covered in DDT for good night rest.
sleep-051.gif

Upvote 0

2gether

Check for B-Bugs

I knew someone who lived in a place that had bedbugs, and those bites sure were nasty!

I have never encountered bedbugs before. Are there any initial signs to watch out for in order to find out if a room is infested?

I travel weekly for work and so am familiar with the procedure to check for the bugs. The best thing to look for is little black stains on the mattress, carpet, or furniture. When the little suckers eat the blood, it turns into black defecatory material....and it is the most visible sign. Always check both the head and foot of the bed, around the bedboard, furniture (under the pillows as well), and around carpets/corners etc. If there are no black stains you are probably good to go.

I would make sure to check, but I am almost more worried about seats in theaters etc. Hotels have become super conscious about checking and almost all have classes for housekeeping to make sure they know what signs for which to check.

Upvote 0

smk

I was just at All Star Sports and I can tell you that resort was very clean. I was impressed with how clean it was, I never even thought about bedbugs once and I too freak out about things like that.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

From what they've said on the news, there are ways to battle bedbugs without the high $s.

For the hotel, if it really scares you, you can bring a plastic mattress cover. They recommended them on the news. They also said bed bugs are visible. Just pull back the sheets and check the nooks of the mattress. If you see anything, contact front desk. If not, slap on your plastic cover and you're good to go.

Upvote 0

Graham9

This thread makes me itch just reading it.

We are coming to WDW in a few weeks - when looking for bedbugs, how big are they and what do they look like?

Upvote 0

Phonedave

From what they've said on the news, there are ways to battle bedbugs without the high $s.

For the hotel, if it really scares you, you can bring a plastic mattress cover. They recommended them on the news. They also said bed bugs are visible. Just pull back the sheets and check the nooks of the mattress. If you see anything, contact front desk. If not, slap on your plastic cover and you're good to go.

That makes no sense.

Bedbugs do NOT live IN the bed. They live in small cracks and crevices all throughout the room. Behind the baseboard, behind the headboard, in a knothole, etc.

Encapsulating the mattress is not going to do anything. If there are bedbugs in the room, they are still going to come out at night, feed, and go back 'home'. They just will be walking on plastic instead. Unless you get IN the plastic bag and seal it, it's not going to do a damn thing - and if you do, then you have to bring in the air tanks and regulators - just a royal pain.

-dave

Upvote 0

Nemo14

That makes no sense.

Bedbugs do NOT live IN the bed. They live in small cracks and crevices all throughout the room. Behind the baseboard, behind the headboard, in a knothole, etc.

Encapsulating the mattress is not going to do anything. If there are bedbugs in the room, they are still going to come out at night, feed, and go back 'home'. They just will be walking on plastic instead. Unless you get IN the plastic bag and seal it, it's not going to do a damn thing - and if you do, then you have to bring in the air tanks and regulators - just a royal pain.

-dave

:lol:

I just want to say that I am available to anyone who would like me to check out their rooms before they go. Simply book (and pay for of course) an extra week onto your vacation plans, and I'd be happy to spend the week verifying that your room is bed-bug-free. Seems a small price to pay for your peace of mind, no? :D

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Even if your room is clear there's no telling that you won't pick them up from someone else that sat in Muppet 3D or Philharmagic (etc.) before you. It happens. It sucks. Relax or don't go.

Man the snow outside is making me crabby on a Monday morning.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Bed bugs, mosquitoes, fire ants....There's always something out there trying to get to you. You can try to limit your exposure to such, but there is no way to completely avoid any of them (short of locking yourself into a hermetically sealed chamber.) Relax, it's a lot more fun.

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

Even if your room is clear there's no telling that you won't pick them up from someone else that sat in Muppet 3D or Philharmagic (etc.) before you. It happens. It sucks. Relax or don't go.

Man the snow outside is making me crabby on a Monday morning.

I agree. The little critters have been found in movie theaters across the country, so it's not just beds.

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

I just want to go on record as saying I'm just glad we aren't talking about the crocodile whose picture from one of the resorts was floating around the boards a few months back. THEN I'd have to cancel my trip! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom