Hyperion Wharf: any news?

ttalovebug

Call me crazy, but I had a feeling from the first announcement that we would never see this concept come to life. Not that it's any huge loss, as it looked like a typical shopping mall, but how disappointing to know for certain that there is no plan, and they don't care.

It seems like there hasn't been anything close to good news in a while, huh?

sittle

More like TDO stumbled back and thought "what have we done?"

The answer, in case anyone has a doubt is : screwed up two very entertaining and unique clubs (Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse)...

.... anyone seen JT.... :ROFLOL: ... strangely absent from this commentary.... :ROFLOL:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
More like TDO stumbled back and thought "what have we done?"

That seems more likely.

Either way though, this is a good thing. If they went ahead with HW, we would have been saddled with it for a decade+.

However, it is not a good thing that it is taking this long to come up with a suitable plan of action.

JiminyandTink

I was actually excited about this (but I suppose any news was good news with what's been going on in that space). But I had hopes that the area would have the feel of a cool turn-of-the-century port city like the American Waterfront at Disney Sea. But I guess the concept art never really lived up to that anyway.

Ignohippo

That seems more likely.

Either way though, this is a good thing. If they went ahead with HW, we would have been saddled with it for a decade+.

However, it is not a good thing that it is taking this long to come up with a suitable plan of action.

I would've rather had HW than the ghost town it remains.

Mouse Detective

It seems far more likely that no 3rd party companies wanted in on HW, at least at the prices WDW wanted.

As you've pointed out on here before, new stores and restaurants have been going in all over U.S. 192 and International Drive during this poor economy yet no one is going into the spaces on Pleasure Island. Maybe Disney just wants way too much rent.

menamechris

As you've pointed out on here before, new stores and restaurants have been going in all over U.S. 192 and International Drive during this poor economy yet no one is going into the spaces on Pleasure Island. Maybe Disney just wants way too much rent.

Of course Disney wants too much rent. I am not sure if they still do this - but I knew someone who had a store in DTD. Rent was collected for him one of two ways - if he had a dynamite month, they took a percentage of what he made; or if he had a slow month - there was a flat rent rate. Of course, they took whichever was larger. To be blunt - anyone who leases space in DTD is a sucker... I can't believe Disney acts dumbfounded that people/businesses aren't fighting to get storefront space there...

NoChesterHester

I think the similarity to the Boardwalk is just an excuse.

Like many in commercial real estate know; many times a concept and renderings are produced and released to generate interest from potential tenants. Once a certain number of leases are signed that the developer feels comfortable with proceeding construction occurs. Most times the final realized project only slightly resembles the initial concept.

Disney is going to have to operate this themselves. In this economy the rents they require are just way too high and the payback just too little.

Hyperion Warf didn't die because of fan outrage. It was a bad fiscal idea.

Did Knee

I have commented before on the steady drip drip drip of small facts that added together provide hope to those of us that deeply desire the return of the Adventurers club, Comedy club and other nightlife entertainment venues to the former PI area. If this report is correct, somebody in the TDO or corporate hierarchy did the math and decided that the HW concept had fatal weaknesses. My only question is what the plan will be going forward. I say re-imagine the clubs for the 21rst century. The AC with an AC themed restaurant and big eclectic AC themed giftshop for instance would greatly increase its revenue. New eclectic live music venues designed for today, with themed restaurants and retail attached. To me this is the obvious way to go, and Disney needs to do this in-house not outsource it. Give imagineering free reign and let them create this their way. It WOULD be a winner.

DCLcruiser

If they would make it easier to get to and from the Boardwalk at night (iirc the buses didn't run late) and advertised Atlantic Dance Co and Jelly Rolls more it would make up for a lot of what is missing at PI for nightlife.

PI needs to be clubs and restaurant/bar/lounges. Give the adults some more to do at night. DTD is a waste of bad shops and a few over-priced restaurants.

jt04

A revitalized AC at DTD would work perfectly with the HW concept. And I will believe HW has been canceled when Steve tells us it has been canceled. SPI has an agenda to see the dance clubs reopen and he slants his stories accordingly. Not a criticism necessarily, just an important distinction.

jt04

Goes back to what I've said all along...where's the due dilligence? Why not put a modicum of effort into researching something before announcing it?

HW is the right concept in the right place at the right time. Splitsville will prove the concept this fall as it functions in many was as a smaller version of what HW would be in my opinion.

71jason

SPI has an agenda to see the dance clubs reopen and he slants his stories accordingly. Not a criticism necessarily, just an important distinction.

In King Bob's defense,
(1) he's fully transparent about his agenda--heck, he republishes it once a year;
(2) he publishes the bad news as well as the good. (And the indifferent, w.r.t. the return of the clubs, this seems indifferent.)

MarkTwain

I found this part interesting from the SavePI blogpost:

We're told that third-party merchants and others at the Boardwalk complained loudly when the Hyperion Wharf concept was first announced, arguing that it was too close to what the Boardwalk concept was already offering.

Quite true. Here is how Disney described Hyperion Wharf when it was announced: "The district will come to life with a nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier." Here is how Disney currently describes the Boardwalk: "Disney's Boardwalk is designed after boardwalks that were famous during the turn of the 20th century." Apparently there is agreement that Disney World doesn't need two of the same thing and that it would create Guest confusion. So HW is finished.

So Boardwalk doesn't want anything turn-of-the-century at Pleasure Island? To their credit, it makes sense... but when you think about, turn-of-the-century has always been Disney's fallback as far as design goes (just look at 80% of the hotels on property). Inferring from this, that means the new iteration of Pleasure Island will likely remain either modern-themed, or will have to receive a more radical retheme (tropical beach, Mediterranean, etc.).

I don't see the radical retheme as likely, since I'm sure what Disney liked about the Hyperion Wharf concept is that it kept most of the existing PI in place without having to make expensive changes. I think it'd be interesting if Disney responded to the existing Empress Lilly/Fulton's Crab House steamboat, and redesigned the whole land to resemble a New Orleans French Quarter cerca 1920s. That would allow keeping some of the urban elements, while adding charm and associating the land with a region that has always been known for having a party atmosphere. Add some iron-wrought balconies, a jazz band, and a speakeasy-themed bar and you're on your way to a fresh new take on PI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom