Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No clue. I an in North Florida so i don't often see much south of Flagler county. The closest I got to having to deal with designing with wind speeds that high was when I did the trusses some of the buildings for the expansion at Castaway Cay back in 2008-2009.

So there may be a Castaway Cay after this?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quite frankly, the only really good solution is hurricane shutters. Not cheap and a pain to put up and take down. Spent many a week or two after a storm was predicted to hit Miami waiting for my dad to take down the shutters.
The laminated impact glass works quite well, but the bill to replace them after they have been hit will make you wish your house blew away.

One of the best solutions I saw was the use of motorized metal roll up shutters. The total cost was nearly double that of impact glass, but all the homeowner had to do was turn a key and every window and door would be covered. Not only did it work great for storms, but it made the house a fortress when they left for any length of time.

psherman42

Most likely.

There are ways you can tell if you have laminated impact windows.

http://www.storm-solutions.net/blog/how-do-i-know-if-my-windows-are-impact-resistant
We got a letter from our apartment complex (in Orlando near Disney) telling us that we should close our blinds to avoid shattered glass and that they won't be boarding up any windows..this has me even more worried since there's a tree right outside my bedroom window. Really hoping this thing dodges Florida.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Following along. Fingers crossed that no one gets hurt and everyone's vacation goes as planned. To be slightly and momentarily selfish, might this impact a trip scheduled two weeks from now?

Depends on strength and where the storm makes landfall. At the very least, power outages could be a week.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The laminated impact glass works quite well, but the bill to replace them after they have been hit will make you wish your house blew away.

One of the best solutions I saw was the use of motorized metal roll up shutters. The total cost was nearly double that of impact glass, but all the homeowner had to do was turn a key and every window and door would be covered. Not only did it work great for storms, but it made the house a fortress when they left for any length of time.

Many of the rental homes on St. George Island have those motorized shutters on the doors leading out to the beach. Not sure if code required them after Dennis.

21stamps

Our house had something like this, but I don't think the high rise condos allow them. I know the pre boom high rises had shutters, but none that I've seen or lived in that were built from 2001 on.

Minnie1986

It is more than likely that the entire state will have some sort of damage. But, for instance, in my case even with a direct hit worse case scenario I will only have some flooding and house damage. Unless something collapses on me I have an almost 0% chance of dying due to drowning. I am much more likely to have an accidental death after the storm, due to downed power lines, chain saw injuries, venomous snakes and insects, etc. There are thousands of people in the state in the same situation.

But there are many in Zone A whose homes will be underwater, and they MUST get out or risk dying. I am in one of the higher zones.
Hoping you'll be safe!

disney4life2008

We got a letter from our apartment complex (in Orlando near Disney) telling us that we should close our blinds to avoid shattered glass and that they won't be boarding up any windows..this has me even more worried since there's a tree right outside my bedroom window. Really hoping this thing dodges Florida.

I think all Orlando units are required to have hurricane insurance. I wouldn't anticipate they would board up windows. But my bed is next to my window. Im moving my bed to closet side. My living room is mostly glass windows and it facdsa huge lake. Im scared about that

MOUSEGIRL

I like your thinking....
Please make sure to buy beer, wine or whatever adult beverage you like, before and after harvey no adult beverages to be found. the liquor store just opened Saturday ( a week and a day after the storm). I am not much of a drinker but watching the rain keep falling and inching closer and closer to the house I became a drinker. 5 days of rain can do that to you. Then once you finish clean up and discover your Disney Trip is only 10 days away and Irma pops up you start drinking again. LOL..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom