Hurricane Irma

AEfx

I can only speak for the school my children attend and you are way, way off. 1/2 are on some sort of scholarship and on the free lunch program. The other 1/2 have very hardworking parents who's paycheck goes toward tuition and life not much else.
So the $1,700 we raised through our our of uniform week was money those families needed but sent to Texas because they needed it more...

That's fabulous. I'm so glad that you feel so good about it. Would you like a Mickey Glove to keep you from bruising yourself as you pat yourself on the back?

If 1/2 the kids are on *free lunch* because they cannot afford to purchase a hot meal, then my jaw is on the floor right now that they are expected to bring $5 every day to school so they are not bullied, teased, looked down upon, and made to feel different/inadequate because they are wearing uniforms and the other kids are wearing their sports wear. Do you not even know the very basic concepts of why schools have uniforms to begin with? And if you think that kids who aren't able to do this aren't getting crap from their peers one way or another, it's time to go back to school yourself and learn about child development.

There are a million ways that money could have been raised, and choosing one that is all about a child's appearance is...ugh...I can't even believe I have to explain this.

What's with this attitude? There are millions of people with damaged homes and without power. Thousands and thousands of people without water., and thousands and thousands who are literally stranded and have no idea what's going on with their homes, loved ones, or their cities.. relying on information from out of state people who can watch and share the info.

Seriously think about your attitude.. it's not warranted, and it's really a bit nonsensical.

If you are going to continue this - do not try to deflect this on me.

I'm sorry, as I said - I am not going to continue to argue this - it will be my last post on the matter - I'm not going to let your lack of awareness deflect from the issues going on - but it's clear for all to see (and if you look at the post, you'll see I'm not the only one who agrees) that your statements are ignorant at best, and show a complete lack of understanding of children that I'm shaking my head at thinking that you are somehow responsible for their educations (hopefully you are an administrator and don't actually interact with them much).

There is nothing wrong with a fundraiser. What was outrageous (and I will be very specific, since you are pretending I'm complaining about a "fundraiser" in general) is that:

1) You personally expect 100% participation,

2) You think a child should bring $5 to school every day for a week for the privilege of not being teased or bullied by their classmates because they are the only ones wearing their uniforms because they cannot afford it (and just because you may not *see* that, it's happening, trust me - or you don't know the first thing about children),

3) In addition to the "donation" you also have very specific clothing that is required on each day (effectively, a new uniform), making the presumption that every kid has an array of sports outfits (High School, College, NFL - NFL? Do you know how much even an NFL tee-shirt costs? and what about kids who's families don't give a lick about sports?) to wear each of these days you expect 100% participation,

4) You further suggest that every school should do this - and when confronted with the rather blatantly obvious notion of many families could not afford this (sure, let's pick a day not to eat this week so my kid doesn't get picked on at school!) you said..."those who can't...won't" completely ignorant of the fact that those kids will be bullied and teased for not being able to afford it and being different than their classmates the entire week).

I'm sorry, that is indefensible, and very troubling to hear from someone who is involved with the education of children.

As I said, this will be my final post on this matter - I will not allow you to try to worm your way out of these indefensible notions by mis-characterizing the criticism and further derailing this thread with your self-aggrandizing justifications.

I think it's wonderful for any school to have a fundraiser - have a bake sale, a white elephant table, or even just suggest a donation - not you think is all cutesy and "fun" to adults instead of using it to create a blatant class system within your school and needlessly burdening parents and the children so the kids aren't singled out due to their appearance, the very reason uniforms exist to begin with.

AEfx

During the first week of school, my daughter (9 years old) and two of her friends were learning about Hurricane Harvey and decided to hold a bake sale with the proceeds going to the victims. They raised nearly $700 during the four hour sale and with my wife's company matching any donations, they raised almost $1400 - pretty good for three fourth graders!
On a related note - before we were married, my wife worked in Freeport, TX as part of her training rotation. She still has some friends in the area so this storm hit home a bit.
Maybe another bake sale is in the future - the house sure smelled good prepping the goodies.
View attachment 228591

That is awesome!

AEfx

Any word if the outrageously priced over-water bungalows at the Polynesian Resort were damaged from the storm??

Cripes, I forgot those teepees were still there...they are anchored, and this certainly would be the first big test of how well that worked.

JohnD

Original Poster
Too soon?

150543_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

peter11435

That's fabulous. I'm so glad that you feel so good about it. Would you like a Mickey Glove to keep you from bruising yourself as you pat yourself on the back?

If 1/2 the kids are on *free lunch* because they cannot afford to purchase a hot meal, then my jaw is on the floor right now that they are expected to bring $5 every day to school so they are not bullied, teased, looked down upon, and made to feel different/inadequate because they are wearing uniforms and the other kids are wearing their sports wear. Do you not even know the very basic concepts of why schools have uniforms to begin with? And if you think that kids who aren't able to do this aren't getting crap from their peers one way or another, it's time to go back to school yourself and learn about child development.

There are a million ways that money could have been raised, and choosing one that is all about a child's appearance is...ugh...I can't even believe I have to explain this.

If you are going to continue this - do not try to deflect this on me.

I'm sorry, as I said - I am not going to continue to argue this - it will be my last post on the matter - I'm not going to let your lack of awareness deflect from the issues going on - but it's clear for all to see (and if you look at the post, you'll see I'm not the only one who agrees) that your statements are ignorant at best, and show a complete lack of understanding of children that I'm shaking my head at thinking that you are somehow responsible for their educations (hopefully you are an administrator and don't actually interact with them much).

There is nothing wrong with a fundraiser. What was outrageous (and I will be very specific, since you are pretending I'm complaining about a "fundraiser" in general) is that:

1) You personally expect 100% participation,

2) You think a child should bring $5 to school every day for a week for the privilege of not being teased or bullied by their classmates because they are the only ones wearing their uniforms because they cannot afford it (and just because you may not *see* that, it's happening, trust me - or you don't know the first thing about children),

3) In addition to the "donation" you also have very specific clothing that is required on each day (effectively, a new uniform), making the presumption that every kid has an array of sports outfits (High School, College, NFL - NFL? Do you know how much even an NFL tee-shirt costs? and what about kids who's families don't give a lick about sports?) to wear each of these days you expect 100% participation,

4) You further suggest that every school should do this - and when confronted with the rather blatantly obvious notion of many families could not afford this (sure, let's pick a day not to eat this week so my kid doesn't get picked on at school!) you said..."those who can't...won't" completely ignorant of the fact that those kids will be bullied and teased for not being able to afford it and being different than their classmates the entire week).

I'm sorry, that is indefensible, and very troubling to hear from someone who is involved with the education of children.

As I said, this will be my final post on this matter - I will not allow you to try to worm your way out of these indefensible notions by mis-characterizing the criticism and further derailing this thread with your self-aggrandizing justifications.

I think it's wonderful for any school to have a fundraiser - have a bake sale, a white elephant table, or even just suggest a donation - not you think is all cutesy and "fun" to adults instead of using it to create a blatant class system within your school and needlessly burdening parents and the children so the kids aren't singled out due to their appearance, the very reason uniforms exist to begin with.
I'm with you on this. Clearly they've never been the child or the parent of a child who couldn't afford an out of uniform pass.

21stamps

I'm with you on this. Clearly they've never been the child or the parent of a child who couldn't afford an out of uniform pass.

Ugh. I don't want this subject to go on.. it was one comment.. 3 people on this thread who's schools are doing a specific fundraiser. Out of uniform passes are offered a few times per year for various fundraising. This is the first time I've ever seen one for a week.

Let's use the 50cent or $1 pass. Most families can afford afford $1-$3 per day for 5 days. It might mean skipping something that you had planned, ordering a pizza etc.. it's about giving to someone who is worse off than you.
How that could possibly be viewed as bad thing is utterly baffling.

Ok enough of that.. the way a simple statement was turned into something ugly is seriously crazy to think about. I hope it ends here.

AEfx

From @tikiman Facebook. They had RCFD there on Sunday, and the lights appear to be on. Couldn't have been much fun in them. At least the people got a lot of DVC points back if they were evacuated.

Thanks for posting the pic.

They *had* to have been evacuated. There is no way in heck I can imagine Disney let anyone stay in there - while I'm sure computer models and such were done before they were installed, but with this being the first real test of them in extreme weather, they would have been absolutely negligent had they not.

I mean, look at what all that computer modeling did for our dear Yeti...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom