Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I hope it’s not too soon or insensitive to ask, but how did Fort Wilderness Campgrounds fare?

I know post-Irma, the campgrounds remained closed for almost two weeks.

We are expected to check in on Sunday, and there have been no emails or updates regarding the status; just a line on the website saying that those with current and upcoming reservations are being contacted.

(Again, apologies if this is insensitive. I know in the grand scheme of things whether JenniferS makes it to FW is not that big of a deal.)

ppete1975

How about the gator parks? I am sure there are alot of them besides gatorland. When the hurricane hit houston a few years ago one of those had a breach. I cant find a better article but I know several escaped, that and alligators are everywhere in florida anyway, everyone keeps talking about street sharks.. how about alligators..

Vegas Disney Fan

Lol. It’s not an unrealistic expectation. We have the technology and know how to design and build infrastructure that is significantly less impacted by these storms. Companies and governments choose not to. There are millions of people across the state of Florida right now that know first hand that their infrastructure is not designed to prevent failure.

Over such a vast area it’s going to take decades to replace the old infrastructure.

In the big picture if you have ten thousand miles of old lines that need to be replaced over the next decade and your options are replacing a thousand miles of old lines with above ground lines every year or replacing a hundred miles of lines with below ground lines every year the option is clear.

It’s not the ideal choice but it’s the logical choice.

Dorian maybe?

This was the tower during Irma.
View attachment 670101

Dorian:
View attachment 670100
My God you are correct! I’m so out of it! The whole Covid years put a fog on my Disney trips memory before. We were actually in WDW right before Irma came too. I don’t recall if the airport closed then or not but I know we were on a flight out the day before. And I recall parks were very empty as with Dorian. Then Dorian a year or two years later 2019? But we were on the last Disney cruise that was at castaway and then the next day the Bahamas got leveled by Dorian.

I have a friend who is always joking on Facebook why do I always go to Disney when there’s a hurricane coming. She was referring to my post during Irma and Dorian. I actually wrote to her yesterday and said I feel like I’m kind of missing out on something by not being there right now.

Br0ckford

I hope it’s not too soon or insensitive to ask, but how did Fort Wilderness Campgrounds fare?

I know post-Irma, the campgrounds remained closed for almost two weeks.

We are expected to check in on Sunday, and there have been no emails or updates regarding the status; just a line on the website saying that those with current and upcoming reservations are being contacted.

(Again, apologies if this is insensitive. I know in the grand scheme of things whether JenniferS makes it to FW is not that big of a deal.)
If there can be a debate on underground utilities here, then your question is just fine.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It's worth mentioning that there's a lot of new Floridians since the last major Hurricaine. Lots of people have moved down there even since just the start of the pandemic. They're taking their cues from Florida natives, who are competing with each other to see who can act the most nonchalant about a cat 4 Hurricaine bearing down on them.

^^THIS

It's estimated that 3 million moved to Florida since the last major hurricane to hit the state a couple of years ago.

And yes, there are Floridians who think, "I survived X, this one won't be a problem". This is why you get nonchalant responses, including local governments, when monsters like Michael or now Ian show up.

I must commend local agencies. They were as prepared as they could be and regularly communicated with residents in Ian's path. Just because some failed to listen to the recommendations...and please...isn't on them. Heartbreaking to watch an assisted living/skilled nursing facility being evacuated this morning, due to flooding.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The cone is already labeled with an explicit warning that storm effects will often exceed the limits of the cone. The thing people seem to overlook is that the cone shows where the eye of the storm MIGHT go... it can wobble left or right anywhere that cone covers. It gets narrower as the time gets closer and the forecasters are more confident.

If you want to see the expected effects areas, you have to look at the projected wind speed, surge, and rainfall charts -- available on the same page at NHC.NOAA.GOV.

Precisely. Michael in 2018 was expected to make a right turn, taking it directly over Tallahassee. Fortunately for us...and sadly for Mexico Beach and Panama City, it continued heading northwest. But that wasn't known until a few hours before it made landfall.

Disney Analyst

It's never worth the risk. If they say leave, leave.

So many lives can be saved with caution, but I fear there is such a distrust at this point, or a stubbornness against authority, many don't heed the warnings.

I hope there are far less fatalities than being reported. May everyone continue to stay safe.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The money is not already there for installation, operation, and maintenance of underground power distribution. Research the Scattergood power line in LA.

After each hurricane hitting the state's capital since Kate in 1985, we've had discussions about burying power lines. But the cost is exorbitant and the City would have to pass the cost on to each utility customer...for several years. No one demanded their bill go up 5% to 10% every month to pay for it.

hopemax

It's never worth the risk. If they say leave, leave.

So many lives can be saved with caution, but I fear there is such a distrust at this point, or a stubbornness against authority, many don't heed the warnings.

I hope there are far less fatalities than being reported. May everyone continue to stay safe.
It's not just stubbornness against authority, but just stubbornness. People have joked for years about the Waffle House Index, and they closed 21 locations between Naples and Bradenton. If you won't believe authority, believe Waffle House.

Vegas Disney Fan

And yes, there are Floridians who think, "I survived X, this one won't be a problem". This is why you get nonchalant responses, including local governments, when monsters like Michael or now Ian show up.

You see this on the news after every storm, “we survived (insert storm name) so we thought we’d be fine this time too”.

I think it’s human nature, the more times we do something the more comfortable we get with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom