Hurricane Emily

miles1

Just think of the poor folks in Cuba. Some of the projected tracks take it over the same areas that Dennis just hit. The folks there already have next to nothing, and storms like this wipe them out completely. Their government won't accept help from other countries, leaving them to live in poverty for a long, long time from a single storm.

Alztybrn

I think the people of Texas may be a little worried about this one. I will be there next week, and would rather see it turn out to the atlantic and dissipate!

MiRi

miles1 said:
Just think of the poor folks in Cuba. Some of the projected tracks take it over the same areas that Dennis just hit. The folks there already have next to nothing, and storms like this wipe them out completely. Their government won't accept help from other countries, leaving them to live in poverty for a long, long time from a single storm.

Yup. I have family in Cuba. Even though they're okay, I can't help but feel sorry for those who were less fortunate.

Tim G

WDWKat26 said:
Thank god it's moving away from FL, honestly, I wish it would move away from everywhere! No one needs this hurricane! :(
I wouldn't be too shure, if I were you...

Tim G

Tropical Storm Emily Continues To Strengthen

STORM STATUS

July 12, 4:36 PM EDT
Name: Tropical Storm Emily
Lat/Long: 11,1N, 52.8W
Max Winds: 50 mph
Heading: West
Speed: 20 mph
Pressure: 29.53 inches

UPDATED: 11:07 am EDT July 12, 2005

MIAMI -- A new tropical storm picked up speed and was expected to gain strength as it churned toward the Caribbean early Tuesday.

Tropical Storm Emily was 575 miles east-southeast of Barbados. Hurricane watches have been issued for Barbados, Grenada, St. Lucia and St. Vincent and the Grenadines, meaning hurricane force winds could be felt by late Wednesday or early Thursday. A tropical storm watch has been issued for Tobago.

The storm is predicted to be near Puerto Rico by Friday and could approach the U.S. mainland by early next week.

At 11 a.m EDT, the storm had maximum sustained winds of about 50 mph and was moving west at about 19 mph. It was expected to strengthen while gradually turning toward the west-northwest.

Hurricanes have sustained winds of at least 74 mph.

Emily's formation late Monday was the earliest date on record for five named storms to develop, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

4712818_400X300.jpg

Tropical Storm Emily Advisory Number 8

Issued at: 4:36 PM AST 7/12/05 (gateway).

Hurricane warnings issued as emily continues westward,

At 5 pm ast, 2100z, hurricane warnings have been issued for the following locations by their respective governments, barbados, grenada, the grenadines, st. Vincent and st. Lucia.

At 5 pm ast, the government of trinidad has issued a tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch for the island of tobago.

At 5 pm ast, the government of france has issued a tropical storm watch for martinique.

A hurricane or tropical storm warning means that hurricane or tropical storm conditions, respectively, are expected within 24 hours. A hurricane or tropical storm watch means that hurricane or tropical storm conditions, respectively, are possible within 36 hours.

For storm information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

At 5 pm ast, 2100z, the center of tropical storm emily was located near latitude 11.1 north, longitude 52.8 west or about 475 miles, 765 km, east-southeast of barbados.

Emily is moving toward the west near 20 mph, 32 km/hr. A turn to the west-northwest is expected during the next 24 hours. On the forecast track, the center of emily will be reaching the windward islands late Wednesday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 50 mph, 85 km/hr, with higher gusts. Emily has the potential to become a hurricane before reaching the windward islands. An air force reserve unit hurricane hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate emily tomorrow morning.

Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 50 miles 85 km from the center.

Estimated minimum central pressure is 1000 mb, 29.53 inches.

Emily is expected to produce total rain accumulations of 3 to 6 inches across the windward islands, with possible isolated amounts of 12 inches over mountainous terrain.

Coastal storm surge flooding of 1-3 feet above normal tide levels, can be expected near and to the north of the path of the center.

Repeating the 5 pm ast position, 11.1 n, 52.8 w. Movement toward, west near 20 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 50 mph. Minimum central pressure, 1000 mb.

MiamiSpartan

Original Poster
Actually, even thought the storm is looking like it will miss Florida entirely, it should be good at keeping wait times down. Peeps from out of town are less likely to travel to Florida with this many tropical systems in the area. We were there as Ivan was bearing down, and they didn't even have the Fast Pass machines operating. It was great! Enjoy your trip!

pinkrose

Emily is a cane now.

TROPICAL STORM EMILY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
955 PM AST WED JUL 13 2005
...EMILY BECOMES A HURRICANE...HURRICANE WARNINGS ISSUED...

AT 14/0108Z...908 PM AST...A UNITED STATES AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT MEASURED PEAK 850 MB FLIGHT LEVEL WINDS OF 79 KTS...WHICH
CORRESPONDS TO ABOUT 63 KT...OR 73 MPH...AT THE SURFACE....WHICH IS
ON THE THRESHOLD OF HURRICANE FORCE. ADDITIONALLY...ADJUSTMENT OF
A DROPSONDE WIND PROFILE TO THE SURFACE INDICATES SURFACE WINDS OF
ABOUT 80 KT...OR ABOUT 92 MPH. THIS INTENSITY INCREASE WILL BE
REFLECTED IN THE ADVISORY TO BE ISSUED BY 11 PM AST...0300Z.

AT 955 PM...0155Z...THE RESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENTS HAVE ISSUED
HURRICANE WARNINGS FOR GRENADA...ST. VINCENT AND THE
GRENADINES...AND ST. LUCIA.

FORECASTER KNABB

wdwishes2005

miles1 said:

cuba got hit directly with like the past 4 Hurricanes hasn't it?

seems like trying to rebuild is futile.

Maria

We are expecting the eye of Emily to pass over Mérida, my city, early tomorrow. It´s supposed to start hitting us around midnight. We are ready and just praying it doesn´t destroy much, but we have been told that the track is the same as hurricane Gilbert, the "hurricane of the century" in 1988. This is one is smaller but as powerful as Gilbert was. uh oh...

Woody13

Maria said:
We are expecting the eye of Emily to pass over Mérida, my city, early tomorrow. It´s supposed to start hitting us around midnight. We are ready and just praying it doesn´t destroy much, but we have been told that the track is the same as hurricane Gilbert, the "hurricane of the century" in 1988. This is one is smaller but as powerful as Gilbert was. uh oh...
Maria, please post again when you can and let us know if we can help in any way. Be strong! :wave:

Kadee

Has anyone heard from Maria? I hope she and her family are ok. At least Emily slowed to 135 before it hit. I know that is still strong (Ivan was 140...down from 150) but it is much better than the 155 that it was earlier.

SpongeScott

Kadee said:
Has anyone heard from Maria? I hope she and her family are ok. At least Emily slowed to 135 before it hit. I know that is still strong (Ivan was 140...down from 150) but it is much better than the 155 that it was earlier.
She has posted in the PML. She is fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom