Huge PotC Rock Skull

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Not so much a secret - but easy to miss, especially if you don't know to look for it... As it's clever.

Ever notice when you round the corner in PotC, past the underwater mermaids and you're coming up on the beach... The rocks to the left form a skull from a distance? But as you approach, you realize it's just careful layering of rocks. It was added along with the rest of the mermaid stuff (underwater effect, beach skeleton, haunting song, etc.) Nice one, Imagineers! :)

It looks like this (via Kevin Yee):

skull_rock.jpg

FYI, the song you hear is "Jolly Sailor Bold" which sounds fantastic as sung in this cover:

Try this - it might send chills up your spine. Look at the top picture with the song playing, and make "wind blowing noises" with your mouth. Creepy, right?! Almost like you're right there on the ride. :D

Kitchandro

Skull is cool. The song is not, I dont find it haunting at all. What was haunting was the creepy voiceover repeating 'dead men tell no tales' over and over again.

AllyInWonderland

Not so much a secret - but easy to miss, especially if you don't know to look for it... As it's clever.

Ever notice when you round the corner in PotC, past the underwater mermaids and you're coming up on the beach... The rocks to the left form a skull from a distance? But as you approach, you realize it's just careful layering of rocks. It was added along with the rest of the mermaid stuff (underwater effect, beach skeleton, haunting song, etc.) Nice one, Imagineers! :)

It looks like this (via Kevin Yee):

skull_rock.jpg

FYI, the song you hear is "Jolly Sailor Bold" which sounds fantastic as sung in this cover:

Try this - it might send chills up your spine. Look at the top picture with the song playing, and make "wind blowing noises" with your mouth. Creepy, right?! Almost like you're right there on the ride. :D

You know, right as I saw this, I'm listening to the mermiad song from the POTC 4 movie soundtrack. :eek:

Anyways, very cool! And I love the mermaids! They are so freakin cool! I love creepy things and the mermaids are PERFECT! I wish I could be one....

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
I think there is still so much I haven't seen and I've been going my whole life!
Oh, there's just layers and layers of details in a lot of attractions. Every time you go you'll see something new! I love this about Disney, who does it better than anyone, IMO.

It doesn't say "dead men tell no tales" anymore?
No, it still does. Just as you round the bend under the control room it starts.

There are mermaids? Where?

Oh and awesome pictures. POTC is my number 2 favorite ride in MK. HM is #1, River cruise is #3.
There are mermaids all over the place! Granted, they were not part of the original plan - they were added as part of the whole Jack Sparrow makeover. They're really just in beginning, before the plunge - by the beach. As you lead up, they're underwater (the effect is often broken), then there's the mermaid skeleton on the beach and of course the song "Jolly Sailor Bold" playing from the latest movie.

Thank you! I love PotC so I happen to have a ridiculous amount of pictures from it. I too love HM and JC! Hard to pick a favorite of the three, honestly. :)

Thanks so much for sharing! In all my time putting off work researching, I have never heard about this secret!
You're very welcome! I figured not a lot of people knew about it, since nobody ever mentions it, hehe.

You know, right as I saw this, I'm listening to the mermiad song from the POTC 4 movie soundtrack. :eek:

Anyways, very cool! And I love the mermaids! They are so freakin cool! I love creepy things and the mermaids are PERFECT! I wish I could be one....
Haha, awesome! I have all of them on Blu-ray except for the latest one; which reminds me I have to pick that up (and Nemo, LOL). I love mermaids too... It's interesting that they're actually a lot "darker" than most people realize (think sirens).

AllyInWonderland

Oh, there's just layers and layers of details in a lot of attractions. Every time you go you'll see something new! I love this about Disney, who does it better than anyone, IMO.

No, it still does. Just as you round the bend under the control room it starts.

There are mermaids all over the place! Granted, they were not part of the original plan - they were added as part of the whole Jack Sparrow makeover. They're really just in beginning, before the plunge - by the beach. As you lead up, they're underwater (the effect is often broken), then there's the mermaid skeleton on the beach and of course the song "Jolly Sailor Bold" playing from the latest movie.

Thank you! I love PotC so I happen to have a ridiculous amount of pictures from it. I too love HM and JC! Hard to pick a favorite of the three, honestly. :)

You're very welcome! I figured not a lot of people knew about it, since nobody ever mentions it, hehe.

Haha, awesome! I have all of them on Blu-ray except for the latest one; which reminds me I have to pick that up (and Nemo, LOL). I love mermaids too... It's interesting that they're actually a lot "darker" than most people realize (think sirens).
Yeah. When we did a Greek Mythology project in my English class at school, I chose Sirens so I played the scene from the movie. And it freaked some of my friends out. :p

ddrongowski

That explains it, that's when the wife and I are playing kissy face.... Did I just type that???:oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom