How young was your DD/DS when riding...?

dvm

Original Poster
My very tall 3.5 year old son loves coasters. He has ridden many kid coasters, and even likes the runaway train type coaster at Great Adventure (six flags NJ) - coaster is fast, without big drops, just big curves, and loud clickety clack track - he liked it.

He is tall enough for many E ticket rides.

Has your DD/DS been on Space mountain, BTMR, RNR others???

Oh yeah, he likes flumes and splash mountain. He is seemingly fearless at this age.

Tigger1988

I think BTMR would be ok for him, if he meets the height standards. I know the Great Adventure ride you spoke of (which I believe is a bit more rough than BTMR) so I'm sure he'd do fine. Space Mountain I would wait a bit, just because hes in his own separate seat.

crazygirley

While I think a child of 3.5 years is too young for any of the mentioned coasters, I have to say that you obviously know your son better than I do.

I would suggest BTMR to you as a nice "real" coaster to start your son off on. The "dark rides", especially the coasters, can be scary for a small child. Even though you probably "think" your son is strong and brave, you don't really know what goes on inside that little head of his, and you must keep in mind that he does still have the imagination of a 3.5 year old, and these coasters can seem very realistic. (I hate to sound harsh, but I always feel sorry for the little children who are dragged on these types of rides with their parents and seem fine, only to exit the rides in tears, seemingly in shock, only to hear the parents laughing at the child saying, "He/She usually loves roller coasters...")
But I really suggest you try RnRC another year if you decide to have him ride SM... the start of RnRC is often too intense for some adults, let alone a small child.

Good luck!

righttrack

My DDs both went on most WDW rides very young, as they are both quite tall. I'd say BTMRR at 3 for my youngest. While BTMRR is pretty mild, don't discount SM. While you do sit in your own seat, the restraint is far better. Don't sit a small child next to a big adult in a lapbar-style ride. The bar might not come down far enough to protect them. I'll go down the list:

BTMRR 1st DD @ 4.5 2nd DD@ 3
SM 1st DD @ 6 2nd DD@ 3
TT 1st DD @ 7 2nd DD@ 5
RNR 1st DD @ 7 2nd DD not yet!
M:S 1st DD @ 9 2nd DD@ 5

rosebud's mom

My oldest daughter was abnormally tall, completely off the height/weight charts during those years when the pediatrician keeps such measurements. She first rode Thunder Mtn at the tender age of 2 and loved it !!

My second daughter is somewhat small for her age, but just squeaked by the height requirement for BTMR at the age of 4 and loved it !

Keep in mind that no one else knows your child as well as you do. Start with the lighter rides and let him guide you to what he feels comfortable riding. the simulated coasters are a perfect start as well.

wdwdave09

Disney rides and 3.5 year old

I'll have to agree with the poster who cautioned against most coasters at WDW. You really don't know what goes on in such a young child's mind. Here would be my recommendations:

MK
Barnstormer at MK - Yes
Space Mtn. - No
Splash Mountain - do a baby swap first to make sure your son can handle the big drop at the end. I'd say probably can do this one if meets height reqt.
BTMRR - maybe. Ride is not particularly intense but the comment made about lap bars is appropriate. You would definitely need to hold him in.
Dumbo - yes

Disney-MGM
RnRC - No way
ToT - No
Star Tours - maybe. Not scary but does jostle around a bit.

Epcot
M:S - No way
Test Track - again, be careful. My son went on at 5 or 6 and I noticed his head moved around quite a bit b/c the car makes sudden stops/turns. Try before taking son.
Soarin - absolutely. this one is a must.

AK
Dinosaur - No. Ride isn't too bad but almost always in darkness and very scary dinosaurs. At least ride w/o son to see if he can handle it.
Kali River Rapids - yes. but be prepared to get wet.

If in doubt, do a baby swap first to see if you think its too intense for your son. Have fun and remember - you can always come back when he is older! You don't have to ride everything this trip.

dvm

Original Poster
thank you all for the guidance and personal experiences.

Actually, I am reluctant to allow him on any of the aforementioned rides. I feel that he is in the right place now for what he has done, and don't want to venture far from this.

RNR, TOT, M:S, TT = never at this age.

Splash - he's done it, actually a year ago, at 2.5 y.o., and loved it. He's done both Flumes at Great Adventure and loved them too.

Kali and Dino = no because too dark/scary on Dino, and too wet on Kali, even though he is a fish and won't stay out of our pool.

Rightrack: I'm impressed that your 2nd DD did SM and BTMR at 3, and I may take this into account when we are there next month, as BTMR is very similar to a coaster he has already been on. SM, I don't know about this one yet, as I remember the beginning tube startoff being loud and flashy...?

Whatabout Primeval Whirl?

Laura

Premium Member
I've been riding all the Disney e-tickets since I was tall enough. I absolutely loved them when I was little!

My son (who is about 41 inches now - turned 4 today), does not like any fast rides whatsoever! He won't even go on Goofy's Barnstormer. But if he would go on those rides I would surely take him!

I believe Primeval Whirl has a requirement of 48 inches (sorry if I'm remembering wrong). If your 3.5 year old is 48 inches I would be very shocked!!

My brother is 3, also.
He rides Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Dinosaur, Tower of Terror, Soarin', & Test Track. He is just about 1 1/2 over 40 inches, so he hits all of the 40 inch rides. When we go back, hopefully (with the help of his shoes) he'll be able to ride some more rides, like Space Mountain, Mission:Space (maybe) and whatever else the 44' rides are :sohappy:

My thought on RnRC would be take him on it, see the pre-show and go into the station and see what he thinks. Because if he doesnt like loud noises he might not be ok with the ride when it launches you into the ride, so that's just my thought b/c it scared me when i first rode it, i went in a couple times with the thought of riding it and not doing it. Then i rode it and it was awsome, and for the others BTMR and SM i would have him do it and see it if he likes it!, but i would think twice on SM because it's a single seater.

MickeyMan101

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom