How to avoid paying more for your rental car in toll charges when you rent a car at the airport heading to Disney

Eric Graham

Original Poster
This makes sense to me. I read where most rental car companies charge $10-20 for transponders a day for rental cars. This article may save you money on tolls there by utilizing the Visitor Pass Program at the airport. Please give feedback bc I'm not familiar with this program.

Last edited:

Lilofan

This makes sense to me. I read where most rental car companies charge $10-20 for transponders a day for rental cars. This article may save you money on tolls there by utilizing the Visitor Pass Program at the airport. Please give feedback bc I'm not familiar with this program.
That's incorrect. One of the options is to get the transponder option at MCO . The unit is on the windshield if the guests wants it activated.

Lilofan

Sorry I wasn't familiar with the program. Thank you so much for the wonderful insight.
I have rented many cars at MCO. It is easy peasy. From the rental car counter you exit the main terminal to the parking garage where the rentals are kept . It is literally a 30-45 sec walk to get your car.

Eric Graham

Original Poster
I have rented many cars at MCO. It is easy peasy. From the rental car counter you exit the main terminal to the parking garage where the rentals are kept . It is literally a 30-45 sec walk to get your car.
I've only flown through the airport once or twice. We usually just drive to Disney. Sorry, but I was just trying to help....

Eric Graham

Original Poster
This is from Google, "Visitor Toll Pass™ will pay tolls electronically on all Florida toll roads, express lanes and most bridge that will save you as much as 80% compared to rental car toll programs." Is this not true?

KeithVH

It's a great program and works well. Super simple as stated. The only "gotcha" is you go south out of the airport and take 417. A much better route to the parks. But if you need to stop on 4 somewhere, well, you'd be backtracking.

Lilofan

It's a great program and works well. Super simple as stated. The only "gotcha" is you go south out of the airport and take 417. A much better route to the parks. But if you need to stop on 4 somewhere, well, you'd be backtracking.
A number of tolls on 417 to WDW but its the most direct way to Disney.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
A number of tolls on 417 to WDW but its the most direct way to Disney.
Actually, the most direct way is to take the 528 to I4. When you get to I4, the next westbound exit is (currently) SR 535 or you can go up to the Epcot Center Drive/Disney Springs exit, which will connect you anywhere else on property. The only time I ever use the 417 is if I'm on Mears Connect, otherwise I avoid it like the plague.

KeithVH

Actually, the most direct way is to take the 528 to I4. When you get to I4, the next westbound exit is (currently) SR 535 or you can go up to the Epcot Center Drive/Disney Springs exit, which will connect you anywhere else on property. The only time I ever use the 417 is if I'm on Mears Connect, otherwise I avoid it like the plague.
Sure, in miles travelled. Time-wise, I'm thinking I4 is not the way to go in normal daylight hours.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Sure, in miles travelled. Time-wise, I'm thinking I4 is not the way to go in normal daylight hours.
Yeah, as a 20 year resident of Orlando who has watched the massive population growth over that time, there is no way I would even consider I4 as the preferred route between MCO and the WDW property. There is far less risk of major congestion on the 417 route vs the I4 route. It’s very, very easy and common for that whole stretch of I4 between 535 and WDW to be an absolutely parking lot for hours on end.

Lilofan

Yeah, as a 20 year resident of Orlando who has watched the massive population growth over that time, there is no way I would even consider I4 as the preferred route between MCO and the WDW property. There is far less risk of major congestion on the 417 route vs the I4 route. It’s very, very easy and common for that whole stretch of I4 between 535 and WDW to be an absolutely parking lot for hours on end.
Just get your quarters and loose bills ready for multiple tolls on 417. I concur I'd never take I-4 to WDW. Did one ever see Magical Express when operating take the I-4 route from MCO to WDW - Never.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom