How scary is Rock'n'Roller Coaster and Dinosaurs?

cutiepiesensei

Original Poster
Hello all!

So my boyfriend and I went to WDW for our College Spring Break last year (unlike everyone else I knew, I didn't want to get drunk on a beach) and we had an AMAZING TIME! However, we only went to Epcot and Magic Kingdom. This year, we planned another trip and are going again for Spring Break in two weeks. We have park hoppers this time around, so the first day we wanted to do a couple of rides at Animal Kingdom and then hop on over to Hollywood Studios.

Soooooo I'm kinda scared of roller coasters. I like ones that have over the shoulder harnesses and loops and turns, but large hills are the bane of my existence. I hate the feeling of my stomach dropping. I have read things about Expedition Everest, and it doesn't seem to be bad, but I wanted to know how Dinosaurs and Rock'n'Roller Coaster are. I know the latter is completely in the dark, which is why I'm nervous. Dinosaurs I heard was intense because of the realism. So what are your opinions?

For comparison, I've been on Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain and thought both were very easy (and fun) rides. I've also been on Test Track and liked it. I will never get on a ride like tower of terror or splash mountain because I just don't do drops like that. Outside of Disney, I have been on the mummy returns and the Hulk out in Universal Studios and enjoyed both (though the mummy was the scariest to me out of all of them). Do you all think that RnRC is doable or should we just avoid it? I think Space Mountain was ok for me because even though it was dark, the drops themselves aren't actually steep at all. How does RnRC compare?

FettFan

1. Welcome to WDWMagic, the GREATEST Disney message boards on the internet!

2. Dinosaur isn't really that intense anymore. It used to be, back when it was called Countdown to Extinction. But they've toned it down since then, turning down the volume and turning off certain effects. It's still dark and jerky and loud....but not as much. Enough so that younger kids could ride it without getting too traumatized.

3. Rock n Roller Coaster isn't that bad at all. The launch is the most intense part....0-60 mph in 2 seconds or so. The rest of the ride is banked and sloped enough that the g forces aren't terrible.... In fact it's a much smoother ride than Space Mountain.

Lucky

From what you said you will definitely like Rock n Roller Coaster. It's very smooth with no big drops. Everest will be more intense. Dinosaur is jerky in places, in a Space Mt sort of way.

Matt_Black

Dinosaurs has tons of sharp turns and sudden stops and it's generally shaky. Combine that with the darkness and some of the effects, and it can be a somewhat jarring experience. Fun, but not for everyone.

As noted above, the launch is the most intense part of Rock'n'Roller coaster. The loops and twists are very smooth. Plus, singing along to the Aerosmith song playing can help distract you. "LIVING IT UP WHILE I'M GOING DOWN!"

RnRC mainly is just about the start, if you feel comfortable with what is a very quick acceleration then you should enjoy it as mentioned above, it's smooth and not bumpy like SM but does go upside down. Dinosaur isn't all that scary just plenty of bumps and jolts. Everest is again very smooth but the ride does go backwards and as someone who doesn't enjoy going backwards at all, that part wasn't very enjoyable, but it's over quick and the rest of the ride is fantastic. Overall they are all very fun rides and often your intial "fear" tends to give you a better adrenaline rush when on the ride I tend to feel.

morningstar

As far as I remember RnRC does not have any steep drops: nothing where you get that "zero-G" feeling that makes your stomach shift to where it ought not to be. High positive-G feeling, yes. There is upside-down, but it's so dark you hardly know the difference.

Dinosaur's motion is not scary, but dinosaurs jumping out at you could be. You lurch and shake, but always stay quite horizontal. It depends how you feel about being startled by surprises and how afraid you are of large toothy things.

cutiepiesensei

Original Poster
Firstly, thanks for the responses!!

I heard the scariest thing about Dinosaur was the realism. I ask because while it doesn't seem that the ride part is particularly terrifying, I'm the type of person that hates haunted houses and such because I don't like things popping out at me lol. So there's that....

I'm glad Rock'n'Rollercoaster isn't too bad then. So loops in the dark don't feel strange at all? I would think that would be the most intense part lol. I'm not the type of person to close my eyes on rides (I like seeing where I'm going) so not seeing always make things a little harder lol. The sudden start shouldn't be too bad, the Hulk was sorta like that so I know I can handle that.

Everest I am a little nervous to ride but I heard that it was basically a more intense BTM? When I got on Big Thunder Mountain I didn't think it was hard at all. Nothing compared to the Hulk and The Mummy Returns at least. Even Space Mountain was worse lol. And after watching some video, it really does seem like the backwards part is the only bad part. I heard it feels like you're going upside down?

Cmdr_Crimson

2. Dinosaur isn't really that intense anymore. It used to be, back when it was called Countdown to Extinction. But they've toned it down since then, turning down the volume and turning off certain effects. It's still dark and jerky and loud....but not as much. Enough so that younger kids could ride it without getting too traumatized.

I rode this two weeks ago several times......And it was getting worse as the two weeks I was there progressed..The raptor before the turn had issues and a nervous twitch, The first and still best Carno was still missing leaving a big gap and replacing it with the head in the bushes which looked pathetic, it seemed brighter than normal giving views to the walls and blankness of scenes, And the big finale Carno head either would arrive too early or too late depending on where the vehicles were on the route...

PrincessNelly_NJ

IMO, if you can ride Space Mountain then RnR should be a breeze. Disney really hypes it up to be intense and it really isn't. The take off is the most exciting part after that it is really smooth and short.
Dinosaur bothered me the first time I rode it years ago but after that it wasn't bad at all.
Everest is definitely more intense than BTMM. But I'm concerned if the drop on Splash is too much for you than the drop in Everest might be too much as well.

Goofyernmost

I'm a little confused! Why is everyone talking about Dinosaur like it is a roller coaster. It isn't! It's a land vehicle with hydraulics in it that rocks it back and forth, up and down, leans and jolts. If you have done The Hulk this is like a kiddie ride. No drops, just jolts.

I hate Roller-coasters, but I find RcRC fun. There is no hill. It is basically accelerated from 0 to 60 in a couple of seconds and then does loops an small twisting drops in the dark. What that means is that they are over before you even realize they are coming. It's not complete darkness. There are plenty of day-glow props to see as you zoom along.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'm a little confused! Why is everyone talking about Dinosaur like it is a roller coaster. It isn't! It's a land vehicle with hydraulics in it that rocks it back and forth, up and down, leans and jolts. If you have done The Hulk this is like a kiddie ride. No drops, just jolts.

I hate Roller-coasters, but I find RcRC fun. There is no hill. It is basically accelerated from 0 to 60 in a couple of seconds and then does loops an small twisting drops in the dark. What that means is that they are over before you even realize they are coming. It's not complete darkness. There are plenty of day-glow props to see as you zoom along.
Some people can't handle excessive motions... roller coaster or rides like Dinosaur that are jerky.

Texas84

Dinosaur: If you don't mind loud noises in the dark you're good. Very bumpy.

RnR: Agree, very smooth but there is a loop and a corkscrew. You will be upside down for a short time. There is enough 'neon' lighting if you don't like the dark. It can be disorientating because of the dark, in case you have motion issues.

cutiepiesensei

Original Poster
Well the Dinosaur I'm less scared about the "roller coaster" aspect and more of the "omg I'm gonna die because this thing is gonna eat me" aspect. That's why I don't do haunted houses lol.

@PrincessNelly_NJ Well it seems like it's a banked turn though, as in it kinda goes left as you go down. In comparison, Splash Mountain is straight down with a slow trek up that hill. Banked turns are easier and it seems like most have said that the Splash Mountain hill feels worse. Should I be scared still?

JTT

RnR is very smooth and over with very quickly.

Dinosaur is loud and jerky. It's OK, I did it once and don't plan on doing it again.

I've done RnR dozens of times and plan on doing it more.

Avenger117

RocknRoller coaster isn't as bad as it would seem. My wife isn't a fan of the extreme roller coasters and she wanted to ride RnR over and over again when she rode it. Plus the pre-show is really neat!

Ginzuishou

The first time I rode Dinosaur I was very scared. I had no clue what was going to happen. I also was sitting on the outside of the row which made it worse. It was very loud and had a huge dinosaur that chased the vehicle and yelled right in your face during the "snap-shot photo opportunity". wild, just wild.

I heard it was toned down now though, I rode it when it was Countdown to Extinction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom