How Much Walking Per Day

bjlc57

although the hours are much shorter during December, which whenever we go again, is the month that we will go in.. I cannot believe that I have never seen WDW at Christmas.. but I have not..

wdwjmp239

My wife and I, along with our two kids, did MK and Epcot in an entire day and by the time we got back to the room that night, my wife had over 25,000 steps in. As for me, I was just walking around and put on another 3000 steps. So, I was in the neighborhood of 30,000 steps. So, 1 mile = 2000 steps (approximately). 30K / 2K = 15 miles. :) I recommend good walking/running shoes such as Brooks. :)

JohnD

My wife and I, along with our two kids, did MK and Epcot in an entire day and by the time we got back to the room that night, my wife had over 25,000 steps in. As for me, I was just walking around and put on another 3000 steps. So, I was in the neighborhood of 30,000 steps. So, 1 mile = 2000 steps (approximately). 30K / 2K = 15 miles. :) I recommend good walking/running shoes such as Brooks. :)

I swear by Dr. Scholl's moleskins which can be bought in any gift shop. They require cutting up. Bring a pair of scissors and cut them in your resort room. Apply as needed. Obviously can't bring the scissors into the park.

DisAl

On our trip the first week of June our shortest day was 6.5 miles in the Magic Kingdom (not a full day) and the longest 8.5 miles in Epcot.

wdwjmp239

I swear by Dr. Scholl's moleskins which can be bought in any gift shop. They require cutting up. Bring a pair of scissors and cut them in your resort room. Apply as needed. Obviously can't bring the scissors into the park.

I wear Brooks Dyad 8 sneakers because of my neutral running/walking style (I had a gait analysis done at our local running supply store). Brooks are pretty comfortable sneakers as they are. But, because I wear custom made orthotic inserts, I slip those in for added comfort. I became a Brooks "snob" since New Balance, who I used to swear up and down by, changed something with their running/walking shoes. They almost duplicated their cross-trainer shoes and made the running/walking shoes the same way which if anyone on here knows (or doesn't), walking in cross-trainer shoes around Disney property will ruin your Disney experience faster than you can say, "Where's the nearest foot doctor?"

I've tried Dr. Scholl's inserts where you step on the machine and it measures your foot based on how you stand and they were OK for a few days, but my feet and ankles started to hurt and I stopped using them. Ever since that day and getting the orthotics, my feet and ankles feel pretty good these days! :)

allgiggles

We just got back from a 7-day stay. Four different people in our group used four different tracking devices to capture our walking distances each day. One person used a Fitbit, 2 used apps that tracked calibrated steps, and one used a GPS tracking app. I can tell you that even though we walked nearly the exact same distances as each other every day (other than maybe getting in a different line at a CS restaurant or different areas of the bathrooms) the 4 tracking devices had 4 completely different distances -- usually varying by 20-25% from shortest distance to longest distance. The Fitbit was always by far the highest and the apps were all usually somewhat close together with the GPS usually being the lowest. On our MK day, the Fitbit indicated 15 miles while the other tracking devices had us closer to 10-11 miles. That's a huge difference. The next day was a down day for us so my son used a GPS/mapping website to retrace our steps and see what that site indicated for a distance for the last 2 days. The website had us closer to what the GPS and step apps indicated. Still much less than what the Fitbit indicated. When averaging the different methods together, our MK day was about 12 miles; Epcot 8; DHS 7; AK 6; DTD/MK 6.

wdwjmp239

..... The Fitbit was always by far the highest and the apps were all usually somewhat close together with the GPS usually being the lowest. On our MK day, the Fitbit indicated 15 miles while the other tracking devices had us closer to 10-11 miles. That's a huge difference. The next day was a down day for us so my son used a GPS/mapping website to retrace our steps and see what that site indicated for a distance for the last 2 days. The website had us closer to what the GPS and step apps indicated. Still much less than what the Fitbit indicated. When averaging the different methods together, our MK day was about 12 miles; Epcot 8; DHS 7; AK 6; DTD/MK 6.

I don't think the technology is accurate. I think it gives you an idea of what you walked. But, it also has a lot to do with how everyone walks. My wife, for example, because she's shorter than I am has to walk faster to keep up with me (she yells at me about this). We may do the same in mileage, but her step count will always be higher than mine. That is until we get back to the hotel and I feel like doing a slow walk around the hotel (walk from the room to the gift store or something) just to loosen up the calf muscles to prevent cramping ("recovery walks" are always good).

JohnD

I wear Brooks Dyad 8 sneakers because of my neutral running/walking style (I had a gait analysis done at our local running supply store). Brooks are pretty comfortable sneakers as they are. But, because I wear custom made orthotic inserts, I slip those in for added comfort. I became a Brooks "snob" since New Balance, who I used to swear up and down by, changed something with their running/walking shoes. They almost duplicated their cross-trainer shoes and made the running/walking shoes the same way which if anyone on here knows (or doesn't), walking in cross-trainer shoes around Disney property will ruin your Disney experience faster than you can say, "Where's the nearest foot doctor?"

I've tried Dr. Scholl's inserts where you step on the machine and it measures your foot based on how you stand and they were OK for a few days, but my feet and ankles started to hurt and I stopped using them. Ever since that day and getting the orthotics, my feet and ankles feel pretty good these days! :)

I hear you. I also wear inserts from my podiatrist. Regardless, I just can't get away from the various sores that develop on my toes. That's where the moleskins come in. Cut to fit, apply, and go.

NCO91590

DH and I went without the kids...so not a lot of stopping, and in Feb...so not a lot of shuffling. We also stay at BC and walked to Epcot and HS. On the days where we visited two parks (taking monorail from MK to Epcot and walking back to the hotel) my tracker said like, 12 miles. On our normal, 1 park day we were at 8 on average.

allgiggles

I don't think the technology is accurate. I think it gives you an idea of what you walked. But, it also has a lot to do with how everyone walks. My wife, for example, because she's shorter than I am has to walk faster to keep up with me (she yells at me about this). We may do the same in mileage, but her step count will always be higher than mine. That is until we get back to the hotel and I feel like doing a slow walk around the hotel (walk from the room to the gift store or something) just to loosen up the calf muscles to prevent cramping ("recovery walks" are always good).

Totally agree. That's why we averaged the 4 sources and came up with a ballpark figure. Each type of tracker has it's issues so we didn't really put any faith in them, we were just doing it for fun. I have a much smaller stride length than the rest of our group, so my step count is always much higher than anyone else's (including my 12 yo daughter) but we all cover the same amount of ground. I had mapped out other trips and had a good idea of how far we had walked each day on those trips so I knew where our numbers for this trip should be (at least a rough estimate). Like I said, we were just tracking for fun. I've used trackers in very "precise" situations and know they are only a ballpark figure at best. It doesn't really matter to me -- all I care about is how my feet feel at the end of the day. :)

MaryJaneP

Would it help to "calibrate" a wearable device by walking around the local high school track to determine how many steps represent one lap, whatever that distance may be.

allgiggles

Would it help to "calibrate" a wearable device by walking around the local high school track to determine how many steps represent one lap, whatever that distance may be.

It certainly doesn't hurt, but what we find at Disney World is that your steps aren't very consistent in size. There are the "normal" strides when you're walking at a casual pace in an uncrowded area. There are long strides when you're trying to "step up the pace" to catch a bus or race across the park for a FP return time or ADR. And there are a lot of little steps when you're "filling in all the dead space" or moving through a crowded area or queue or shuffling around a gift shop looking at things on a display. So while any device or app -- even if calibrated for ones stride length -- can be very accurate at counting the number of steps a person takes; none of them can measure the size of each stride taken during the day. A calibrated stride is great when you're walking on a track, running path, uncrowded sidewalk, etc. but not necessarily at a crowded venue like Disney World.

PhilharMagician

We just got back from a 7-day stay. Four different people in our group used four different tracking devices to capture our walking distances each day. One person used a Fitbit, 2 used apps that tracked calibrated steps, and one used a GPS tracking app. I can tell you that even though we walked nearly the exact same distances as each other every day (other than maybe getting in a different line at a CS restaurant or different areas of the bathrooms) the 4 tracking devices had 4 completely different distances -- usually varying by 20-25% from shortest distance to longest distance. The Fitbit was always by far the highest and the apps were all usually somewhat close together with the GPS usually being the lowest. On our MK day, the Fitbit indicated 15 miles while the other tracking devices had us closer to 10-11 miles. That's a huge difference. The next day was a down day for us so my son used a GPS/mapping website to retrace our steps and see what that site indicated for a distance for the last 2 days. The website had us closer to what the GPS and step apps indicated. Still much less than what the Fitbit indicated. When averaging the different methods together, our MK day was about 12 miles; Epcot 8; DHS 7; AK 6; DTD/MK 6.

I have a fitbit. While it is nice getting continuous data throughout the day, it is quite inaccurate in situations it was not designed for. The fitbit registers steps when riding in a car or on anything that is bumpy. I can go 1/2 mile down the roan on an ATV and get 40 flight of stairs climbed all while sitting on my a$$:rolleyes:. Then go to a theme park and it goes nuts and has me doing 25,000+ steps when I know I am walking no more than 15,000.

allgiggles

I have a fitbit. While it is nice getting continuous data throughout the day, it is quite inaccurate in situations it was not designed for. The fitbit registers steps when riding in a car or on anything that is bumpy. I can go 1/2 mile down the roan on an ATV and get 40 flight of stairs climbed all while sitting on my a$$:rolleyes:. Then go to a theme park and it goes nuts and has me doing 25,000+ steps when I know I am walking no more than 15,000.

Yep...and then there's that joke about how teenage boys always seem to manage to get in 30,000 steps a day on their fitbit but never leave their bedroom. :D

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
about how many miles/kms do you think you walk during a day in any one of the parks.
different.gif

zero creativity

Original Poster
Just got back a week ago. My biggest day according to my Fitbit was just under 20,000 steps and 8.69 miles. That was a magic kingdom day with walking back and forth to the contemporary

thomas998

I think you're underestimating the amount of time we all spend waiting in long lines, sitting on rides, standing and watching shows and parades, watching fireworkrs, sitting down in the restaurants, browsing at merchandise, etc. I don't think the average person is doing anywhere near that amount, unless they're there from open to close and all they're doing is walking.

Well the average walking speed for an adult is 3 mph.... So if you figured you spent 10 hours at the park... subtract 1 hour for lunch... 1 hour for dinner... you are now down to 8 hours... figure the number of rides you do in an average trip maybe 8.... average time waiting in line 45 minutes per ride... you've now got 2 hours of non queue or dining time... So 2 hours times 3... 6 miles of real walking.... maybe another half mile of queue walking....So I"m guessing maybe 6 miles of real walking in MK.... If its EPCOT with less rides to slow you down but more shops to be walking around in.... You could probably drop your average speed to 2mph to account for the slower in store pace... still knock out 2 hours for all your dining... plug in maybe 4 rides and you have 5 hours of slower walking for 10 miles per day in EPCOT.... that's probably as good a number unless you really believe pedometers which honestly I've never had great luck with as far as being really accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom