How long to spend in each park?

MammaT

Original Poster
I am planning our first family to disney world November 8-15. My girls will be 2 and 5 years old. I am trying to plan an itinerary for each day/park and I'm not sure if we should plan to be at each park for the whole day. We plan to go to one park a day starting in the morning. I'm not sure if we should stay a full day to make dinner reservations in each park? For example: could we see all the necessary attractions at animal kingdom and leave the park to have dinner at a resort? I'm assuming a full day or two in magic kingdom is necessary but what about the other parks?? Any suggestions would be helpful! Also, any recommendations you have about table service restaurants would be appreciated! Thanks!

Figaro928

Welcome Aboard!

We were there in the fall with a 18 month and a 3yo. We felt both Animal Kingdom and Hollywood studios both only warranted half days for their age. It was a lower capacity time so we were able to get done everything we wanted to accomplish (we skipped all the bigger; adult rides - which had longer lines) at each park in the mornings. Epcot is a stretch with the younger kids, but its my personal favorite so we went there often & the kids actually did enjoy it. We did two full days in the Magic Kingdom and then finished several nights there as well.

As for a table service restaurant with two young girls? 100% Akherus in the Norway section of Epcot. While also open for breakfast, we went for dinner & the food was really quite yummy. It's a character dining experience with I think five of the Princesses.

Happy Planning!

DisneyPrincess5

Welcome to the board and congrats on your first family trip coming up!

I don't know what your kids routines are, but if they typically nap on a regular day, they will DEFINITELY need one at Disney. So much to see and take it and they'll probably need a rest, and honestly you may too. I would say a good plan is to be at whatever park you choose at rope drop in the morning, plan to maybe have lunch then either head back to your room for a bit or have them nap in their strollers in a quiet part of a park. Then get back to park-ing! If you take in everything, you could spend a lot of time at each park, especially MK of course. They would probably love a character meal. Chrystal Palace at MK has a great buffet Pooh and Friends meal but there are many others to choose from at all parks and many resorts.

Happy planning!

Disvillain63

As for staying in the park, you'll have to be the judge of that...do your children take regular naps...do they need their nap to be functional and pleasant...etc...

If you decide to do full days in each park, then AK is possible to do in one day and return to your resort for dinner. You could do this at DHS also...or split DHS up by returning to your resort for 'quiet time' and then returning to DHS to see Fantasmic.

Thinking about your children's ages:
MK - 2 days - Crystal Palace, Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table
Epcot - 1 day - Garden Grill; Akerhaus; Beirgarten
DHS - 2 days - Hollywood & Vine
AK - 2 days - Tusker House; Rainforest Cafe

If you're going to do Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, then do a resort day or go to AK or DHS in the morning and back to your resort midday. When go back for a nap, plan on rope drop in the morning.

Mouse_Trap

I am planning our first family to disney world November 8-15. My girls will be 2 and 5 years old. I am trying to plan an itinerary for each day/park and I'm not sure if we should plan to be at each park for the whole day. We plan to go to one park a day starting in the morning. I'm not sure if we should stay a full day to make dinner reservations in each park? For example: could we see all the necessary attractions at animal kingdom and leave the park to have dinner at a resort? I'm assuming a full day or two in magic kingdom is necessary but what about the other parks?? Any suggestions would be helpful! Also, any recommendations you have about table service restaurants would be appreciated! Thanks!

I would purchase the 6 day base ticket, don't bother planning at all. Just decide upon a park to go for your first day, I would suggest Magic Kingdom. From that point on just decide on a daily basis where you want to go, what you want to see and how long you will stay for.

Over planning will just spoil your holiday, you got two young girls and I think it's possible you will end up taking things a lot slower than you would have planned to do.....that's not a problem though. You are going there for a holiday presumably, not to rush around trying to fit everything into a preplanned schedule.

You can easily spend a full day in each park (2 for MK) and not see everything. Please don't listen to the people who say that some are not a full day park. I have been many times and there are only a handful of reasons I would not stay all day, pretty much if too hot / tired or too cold (very rare, but did happen once on a December trip). For some people who have been to the parks 20+ times the I can also see why they may consider some not to be full day parks. Being your first time, you will probably take it slow and take in the sights and cherish the environment.

Mouse_Trap

I also meant to add......definitely try to get an idea of the shows and attractions that are in each park and which ones you most want to see. An basic idea of the layout of each park will help also.

Leave the planning at that, go and just enjoy yourselves and most of all have a fantastic time.

BigTxEars

I would vote

2 Days at MK
1 Day at AK
1 Day at DHS
1 Day at Epcot
1 Day "off" from the parks
1 Day based on what you find you like the best while you are there

With ones that little plan on breaks during the day for naps back at the hotel. The off day in the middle of the week, sleeping in some, swimming and relaxing, maybe DTD.

ratherbeinwdw

I totally disagree with not planning. I have heard from of so many people who didn't get to do much at all because they didn't plan. You'll need to plan if you are going to do fastpass + and I wouldn't go without doing that. We went the time you are going last year, and though it wasn't packed, it was somewhat crowded. We were very glad we had our fastpass+. We were on a short trip and would never have been able to do things like TSMM and Peter Pan without the fp. Your children are at a great age for MK. You'll probably want to make sure and do two days there. If they are early risers, be sure and do MK's early hours. You will be able to do so much that first hour, and by doing that, you will have time for a quick nap in the afternoon. And if you save Little Mermaid until the fireworks, it will be straight walk on. If you do early hours at AK, you will be able to walk right on the Safari, so don't waste a fp on that one. Unless you plan to ride the thrill rides, you will be able to finish AK by 3:00. If you are going to ride some thrill rides, it make take longer; same thing for DHS. It all depends on what the adults plan to ride. You will also be able to finish EPCOT by 3. Make sure and take the girls on the little boat ride in the Mexico pavilion. Also make sure they do Crush and Journey Into Imagination.

ratherbeinwdw

Check out allears.net for the menus for all the restaurants. They give every restaurant in every resort the parks and DTD with prices. We also go to the Disney Food Blog to actually see the food, and trip reports on this site has tons and tons of pics of the food.

Last edited:

BigTxEars

I think the whole full day / half day park for many is based on a checklist of rides and shows. Once the checklist is down it's time to leave. That is certainly one way to tour, but not the only way. As they say everybody does Disney differently.

I am a roamer, with no real plan. :)

HouCuseChickie

My girls were 2 and 4 on their first trip and 2.5 and just turned 5 on their second trip. I completely agree with 1 park per day (vs hopping) at this age. On their first trip, we devoted 3 days to MK, 1 day to EP, 1 day to HS, and 1 day to AK.

We planned pre-park opening character meals for most days which really seemed to help on a number of levels. Not only did it drastically reduce their desire for meet and greets during park hours, it got food in their tummies in a fun way and it got them into the parks early without having to deal with the crowds and rush at park opening. i.e. we could be finishing up breakfast at Crystal Palace or Cinderella's Royal Table just before the masses were granted entry- so we were ahead of the rush.

Beyond that, we had a significant nap time each day. We'd leave the parks by 2pm and let them nap until dinner time...which was sometimes a later dinner- especially if we'd planned fireworks viewing. The long nap also allowed us to extend our evening time in the park and take advantage of evening extra magic hours. I know some people skip extra magic hours, but for these trips we chose the parks offering them since they worked really well with our plans.

As for restaurants, obviously the kids will likely enjoy character meals, but my kids also really enjoyed things like Cali Grill, Rose & Crown, 'Ohana dinner, 50s PT, WCC, etc. i.e. even without characters, there are some meals out there which are enjoyable for the kiddos. Teppan Edo, Biergarten, Sci Fi, and Sanaa also come to mind as non character meals kids tend to really enjoy.

If you can work in a break day- that's also really nice too. We like those for pool time, exploring resorts, and just taking in the little details you don't normally get to do when rushing to the parks. It's also really good for helping the kids recharge (as well as mom and dad).

Last edited:

gooftroop5

I totally disagree with not planning. I have heard from of so many people who didn't get to do much at all because they didn't plan. You'll need to plan if you are going to do fastpass + and I wouldn't go without doing that. We went the time you are going last year, and though it wasn't packed, it was somewhat crowded. We were very glad we had our fastpass+.

As a family who has taken their kids since 4 months old, I have to completely agree with this disagreement. ;) Planning was the only way I kept sane. Going in with a plan, at least an idea, made things so much simpler, IMO.

We planned pre-park opening character meals for most days which really seemed to help on a number of levels. Not only did it drastically reduce their desire for meet and greets during park hours, it got food in their tummies in a fun way and it got them into the parks early without having to deal with the crowds and rush at park opening. i.e. we could be finishing up breakfast at Crystal Palace or Cinderella's Royal Table just before the masses were granted entry- so we were ahead of the rush.

Beyond that, we had a significant nap time each day. We'd leave the parks by 2pm and let them nap until dinner time...which was sometimes a later dinner- especially if we'd planned fireworks viewing. The long nap also allowed us to extend our evening time in the park and take advantage of evening extra magic hours. I know some people skip extra magic hours, but for these trips we chose the parks offering them since they worked really well with our plans.

If you can work in a break day- that's also really nice too. We like those for pool time, exploring resorts, and just taking in the little details you don't normally get to do when rushing to the parks. It's also really good for helping the kids recharge (as well as mom and dad).

I agree with all of these things too. Pre-park opening character meals and naps or breaks during the afternoon.

We always plan one meal per day and play the rest by ear.

There is a really good thread going about traveling with young ones that you might want to check out. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tips-for-booking-for-the-first-time-with-young-children.881770/

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I would purchase the 6 day base ticket, don't bother planning at all. Just decide upon a park to go for your first day, I would suggest Magic Kingdom. From that point on just decide on a daily basis where you want to go, what you want to see and how long you will stay for.

Over planning will just spoil your holiday, you got two young girls and I think it's possible you will end up taking things a lot slower than you would have planned to do.....that's not a problem though. You are going there for a holiday presumably, not to rush around trying to fit everything into a preplanned schedule.

You can easily spend a full day in each park (2 for MK) and not see everything. Please don't listen to the people who say that some are not a full day park. I have been many times and there are only a handful of reasons I would not stay all day, pretty much if too hot / tired or too cold (very rare, but did happen once on a December trip). For some people who have been to the parks 20+ times the I can also see why they may consider some not to be full day parks. Being your first time, you will probably take it slow and take in the sights and cherish the environment.
Not planning at all is setting yourself up for a disastrous vacation.

noidwork

My first piece of advice is that you probably don't want to take advice from someone with only 2 posts on this forum. However, if you're willing to ignore my first advice, please let me offer you my second piece. I've been many times as a kid, dating, married, and my last 2 times were while married with a 1,2, and 4 year old. I think there is no truer way to approach this than by following Dwight Eisenhower's approach. "In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." You definitely need to understand what's where, know what you'd like to see, and then when you arrive, be prepared to toss everything you thought you know out the window. I am a ride guy. Love the rides, I can do without the rest. The first time I went with my kids, I was excited to get them on some rides. 2 hours after we entered MK, we still hadn't been on a ride. We hadn't even gotten in a line for one yet. We got there and the kids saw Goofy, then there was a dance party in the hub, then there was a stage show at the castle. 2 hours later and I hadn't been on a ride, and I'd never had more fun. We still saw everything we wanted to on that trip, but we didn't do it by following any plan I'd ever used before. We just took it as it came, saw what the kids wanted, and had a blast. I agree with what people say about HS and AK, to a point. I think they're not quite full day parks with little people, but they are definitely more than half day. Those 2 days were our Downtown Disney and hotel pool days. Park hopping with kids is rough, I had the hopper, but only used it once, and even then it was mainly just to justify having paid for it. As for the table service restaurants, I'll leave that to the real experts here, we are mostly a QS type of family, mainly because of price, desire to get back on rides/shows, and #1, my kids can't sit still for that long while at Disney. Enjoy your trip, no matter how bad your plan gets messed up, it'll still be better than any other day not at Disney.

SAV

My kids have been going to WDW since they were each 2 years old and we always tour the parks commando(open to close), stay at one park, and don't take a nap break(they napped in the stroller). But you are the only one who knows your kids and have to decide if a mid-day break is necessary.

You can easily spend a whole day in each park, so none are a "half day", especially if you are first timers. There is so much to see at each one, that you will not need to hop to another. And with kids, hopping is more of a chore and takes up valuable time you could be spending in the parks.

WDWoptmist

I would spend 2 days in MK and EC and 1 full day in DHS and AK but with two kids that young I have no idea what they can handle

KCheatle

MK = 2+ days (Be our Guest restaurant for Dinner, Crystal Palace restaurant for breakfast)
Epcot = 2 days (Princess breakfast. Otherwise, we love Canada, but it's 2 TS. We also love Italy).
AK = 3/4 day. We leave after the parade. Usually do dinner at the hotel or at another park.
HS = 1 day. It used to be a 1/2 or 3/4 day until my kids started to like the Fantasmic! show. Now, we do the Fantasmic! Dinner package at the Hollywood Derby. The kids have enjoyed Hollywood and Vine, though, when we've gone there in the past.

HRHPrincessAriel

I think it totally depends on your kid. I LOVED Epcot even as a kid and could have spent days there.

I personally could do AK in 1/2-3/4 a day and be done. My kiddo loves the zoo any thing animal related. I'm pretty sure we will be spending multiple days there as a result

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom