How is the DAS system working these days?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
I will be at Disneyland in a little less than 2 weeks to celebrate my son's 6th birthday! He has a few issues and after speaking with his doctors I have decided to get him a DAS pass incase we need it. We are hoping he won't as he has made great progress in the last year.

I have read a bunch of rumors and old articles from when the DAS program was put in place and now I'm not sure what is the current way the system works. Is it still go to the ride get a return time? Or do they have central locations?

Phroobar

Remember it is completely arbitrary based on cast member. Most cms will lie to you about the program. Just keep asking until you find a cm that will work with you. My son with CP has been denied multiple times but we usually find someone that will accept it.

Old Mouseketeer

I have talked to CMs both in Guest Relations and Attractions. The program is uneven and there are still a lot of people trying to abuse it.

The way it is supposed to work, is that you go to City Hall and discuss what you need for your child and your party to access the attractions equally with other visitors. DCA attraction queues were designed and built to be fully accessible for guests with mobility impairments. Generally at DCA, a DAS card will only offer special access for guests with cognitive disabilities who have trouble with crowds and/or waiting. At DL Park, there is special accomodation at attractions with accessibility limitations for guests with visible assistive devices, including crutches, prostheses, canes, walkers, wheelchairs, etc. without needing a DAS card. However, you do need to visit city hall if you are using a "stroller as wheelchair" because you will need an identifying strip like an airport luggage tag. BTW, this includes if Grandma is using the stroller as a walker!

If you ask for a specific feature on your DAS card, the CM will probably ask you how this accommodation will help you. Most of the CMs are trying to do a good job. At some older attractions, there is limited space for a long "wheelchair line" out the backdoor (Pirates is hell on earth), so they issue return times that are equal to the wait you would have in the attraction queue. If you have a DAS card, you get your return time at one of the central kiosks around the park. If you have an assistive device and the attraction is issuing return times, you get your admission tickets scanned at the attraction and receive a return time.

NOTE: Do NOT assume that you just go in the exit of any attraction. Always ask at the attraction entrance (this position is called the "Greeter") for how to proceed, even if you visited last month or even last week. If your child has cognitive disabilities, use your resources of having other adults get your return times outside of your son's hearing or keeping him occupied or distracted. Also, make use of your Fastpasses. This is a big plus, in conjunction with return times. The two systems are completely separate.

I have both visible and hidden disabilities and have visited DL and WDW with friends and family with various disabilities. I have experienced both the good and bad of the GAC and DAS programs, as well as abuse by people trying to game the system and uneven application by CMs. My best advice is to proceed with minimal expectations and maximum flexibility. Be prepared to offer distractions and alternatives if something doesn't go as easily or smoothly as you would like.

Personally, I think a lot of people's frustration comes from unrealistic expectations as much as CM misconduct. There are a lot of people who believe that the DAS card is a "Willy Wonka Golden Ticket" that will get them at the front of any line, and don't get me started on the fakers. Ideally, you will be able to access all the attractions you want to ride with little or no inconvenience. Think positive and approach CMs with the assumption that they are there to help you until and unless they prove to the contrary. Nothing gets a CMs hackles up faster than guests with a chip on their shoulder.

I hope you and your family have a memorable visit!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. It will just be my son and myself. This is his big trip (last year I took his older sister for her birthday). I tried to pick a less busy time of the year and we are going during the week.

My son has a few issues that can make it difficult to stand/sit still for longer than a few minutes. Short or continually moving lines are not an issue, walking and moving is not an issue he is much more comfortable being in motion. I have lots of methods and tricks to help him in general.

I definitely am not looking for front of the line access. I wasn't planning on getting the card at all until his doctor suggested it. My hope is not to have to use it at all. But as his doctor said a vacation is not the time to make everyone miserable by trying to force something he may not physically be able to do.

Phroobar

Sometimes I think it's easier to just pretend there isn't any DAS system and just take visiting the park really easy and gently. Don't go commando and try to do everything. It's better to enjoy a few attractions and relax and not get mad at cast members and crowds.

Old Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. It will just be my son and myself. This is his big trip (last year I took his older sister for her birthday). I tried to pick a less busy time of the year and we are going during the week.

My son has a few issues that can make it difficult to stand/sit still for longer than a few minutes. Short or continually moving lines are not an issue, walking and moving is not an issue he is much more comfortable being in motion. I have lots of methods and tricks to help him in general.

I definitely am not looking for front of the line access. I wasn't planning on getting the card at all until his doctor suggested it. My hope is not to have to use it at all. But as his doctor said a vacation is not the time to make everyone miserable by trying to force something he may not physically be able to do.

I think you have a very sensible attitude. I would recommend you go to City Hall (or the Chamber of Commerce at DCA) and explain your needs. Tell them you don't think using your fast passes will be enough and that it would be helpful to be able to get return times so you can wait somewhere else and avoid being stuck in the line. The problem with the system isn't with people who use it when they need it. Most problems arise from people who have unrealistic expectations or outright abusers. It sounds like you have the right approach. I hope you have a great time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom