How does renting points work?

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
I know it's a thing you can do without actually buying in to DVC. But how does it work, what is the cost relative to booking a standard room, and who is it ideal for?

CaptainAmerica

I know it's a thing you can do without actually buying in to DVC. But how does it work, what is the cost relative to booking a standard room, and who is it ideal for?
You pay a person, not Disney, for the right to use that person's DVC points. That person books your reservation on your behalf. It can be substantially cheaper than booking a standard room but you lose the convenience of managing your own reservation and you don't get daily housekeeping if that's important to you.

I personally think it's more headache than it's worth but many people will come post after me listing all the reasons I'm wrong. If budget is an absolute constraint on staying at a deluxe resort, I'd rather stay at a moderate than rent into DVC.

sheriffwoody

We use a middle-man, even though it's a couple of dollars per point more than finding an owner to work with directly. I'm just not very trusting. Check out dvcrentalstore.com or dvcrequest.com. Lots of good info about the process and both have excellent reputations. We've rented through DVC Rental Store twice now.

For price comparison, our last trip at Kidani was about $900 for 4 nights. A similar room at Jambo (because Kidani is only DVC I think) would be about $1500. So it's a pretty significant saving! For such a short trip, the lack of housekeeping didn't bother us.

It's worth noting that we book at the 7-month window when the points go down in price. At that point, many of the DVC rooms are full so options are limited. As we're moving up in our jobs and making a little more money to set aside, we'll probably go back to regular non-DVC rooms so we have more options. We also really love the two moderate resorts we've stayed at :) In fact our DVC stay has been our least favorite so far (though it was still awesome)

DVC Mike

We use a middle-man, even though it's a couple of dollars per point more than finding an owner to work with directly. I'm just not very trusting. Check out dvcrentalstore.com or dvcrequest.com. Lots of good info about the process and both have excellent reputations.

I agree 100%.

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone!! We're only like 4 months out, so there pretty much aren't any studios available (that's what we'd primarily be looking for), but we will definitely keep this in mind for our next trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom