How does one become Grand Marshal of the MK parade?

Merriweather

Original Poster
my 5 yr old says that she saw on the planning video that the characters sometime pull people out of the audience to be in the parade. I know that there was a "Grand Marshal" family in the parade over the holidays but does anyone know how one gets picked to be in a parade at Disneyworld. This would definitely make my daughter's lifetime. We are going at Mardi Gras (Feb 7-11).

Thanks,
Stephanie

KevinPage

Pure luck. I've asked CM's, made phone calls to Guest Relations, posted questions online.

You have to be lucky when you enter the park in the morning that a CM see's you. Being part of a group and all wearing the same shirt could help.

But if you don't get picked, you have to walk around all day looking like a dork :lol:

SpaceRacer2003

I have not seen the planning video but it sounds more like a "show stop" that the parade used to make. It would stop several times along the route and the characters would bring people out from the crowd to be part of the parade.

As for Grand Marshal's, from what I've heard, there is a CM that wanders around the park during the day talking to people and he (or she) just randomly asks a group they may be talking with, to become the Grand Marshal. So HakunaMatata is right, better chance of a lightning strike.

Merriweather

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies...

Well, we have purchased matching t-shirts from DisneyDirect.com and will wear Mardi Gras masks as we will be coming from New Orleans. 17 crazy people with Mardi Gras Masks might stand out. Will post if it works when we get home.

Debbie

Merriweather said:
Well, we have purchased matching t-shirts from DisneyDirect.com and will wear Mardi Gras masks as we will be coming from New Orleans. 17 crazy people with Mardi Gras Masks might stand out. Will post if it works when we get home.

Look for the 12 Krazy Koona$$es from Boutte. We will be on Main Street, Mardi Gras, day to cheer on my girlfriend's son, who is marching with Jesuit. We also plan on matching shirts, probably some with Hahnville High, and I'll probably have a jester thingy on. We're also bringing beads in the AM. Where are you staying? We'll be at Pop Century. I suspect this will be a big year for alot of folks to escape Mardi Gras and head for WDW.

tigger1968

Its not an entirely random process to get picked. My wife and I were selected to be Grand Marshalls a few years ago. :D They apparently try to have a family and a couple, so they pick two groups. And yes, they do talk to you to see if you might be what they are looking for, apparently. We had no idea until the CM asked us. We rode up front in an antique car, while the family followed in a stagecoach. Truly the most magical day my wife and I ever had at WDW! And no, I won't give away how we got picked, because that would just ruin it for everyone, wouldn't it? :)

The Mom

Premium Member
The one thing that EVERYONE chosen had in common (at least those who have posted on the internet) was that they walked in/around the park looking and acting as if they were in the happiest place on earth. No squabbles, crying, whining, frowns, testy remarks, foot stomping, etc. Thery were friendly and outgoing to the "secret" CM, and made a great first impression.

Matching t-shirts, Disney outfits, etc might get you noticed...initially. But unless you can complete the "ideal" Disney guest picture, you're probably not going to get picked.

I suspect I'll NEVER be GM. :lol:

Merriweather

Original Poster
Debbie...

Thanks! We are staying at Pop Century as well. Didn't know Jesuit is going to be there. My sister-in-law's nephew is in the band. Will have to give them a call. We have friends at Hahnville. Do you know any Laque's?

Stephanie

Kadee

We just found out that we will be able to go sometime this summer instead of waiting until Thanksgiving. My 16 year old daughter and her best friend should have no trouble standing out. It would make their year to be picked for that.

tigger1968

I will admit that the process happens early in the day.....we got picked before 10:00. So get there early I suppose... :lookaroun

Mr Wizard

My wife and I were picked as the couple to ride in the antique car in the parade. We had gotten to the park early and while we were getting our picture taken by every Disney photographer we could find (determined to someday get a good one) we ran into "Ed". Thinking he was also a park photographer I tapped his shoulder and asked if he would take our picture. When he turned around and said "sure, where is your camera?", I realised I had goofed and started to cover my mistake with some friendly conversation. He asked if we had been to the park before and we said yes, many times and this time was to celebrate our anniversary. When we asked him about who he chose he said it was totally random and he then went on to tell us about what things some had done to try to get picked. One example he gave was of a group who were all dressed up the same and hung around asking questions about the parade and who was going to be chosen and he said that this was a group he could never choose. His reasoning being that if one semi-oddly dressed group that was ( for lack of a better term) VERY noticeable was picked, the next day there would be two groups even more outlandishly dressed trying to get his attention. And it would only get worse after that. So I know thats not much help but at least you know what won't work. NOW, on to my personal plea for help! If you know anyone, ANYONE who was in the MK on May 17 2003 and has some video or still pix of the parade PLEASE let me know. This was the coolest thing that has ever happened to us at the parks and all we have are two not so great stills. My wife and I would greatly appreciate it! ! !

P.S.-Last May we wound up staying at Port Orleans Riverside and loved it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom