Trip Report How Could It Be So Hot with No Sun?!" Another September Adventure 2016

So a little background

I did not write a post trip report from last year’s visit-2015, but it was an awesome trip. We have had some family issues and I never got fully in the mood to let me keyboard come alive after we returned home. It had been a tough year, but the three of us (DM, DF, & I) are all incredibly excited to go as things have calmed down. Nothing is more terrifying than not knowing what to expect in life, but we have learned that we can face any battle and prevail.

We are DVC members and travel to Florida every year from PA. We dove into DVC when BLT was announced-perfect location and great financial sense for us being 8-10 day trippers and deluxe resort lovers. BLT has been great, it has its issues: sometimes rooms are not ready at 4 or 5 PM once or twice, but we have been able to obtain something for our inconvenience each time. In 2012 we had bed bugs in our 2 bdr unit at BLT—that was a fun one. Click on my profile and there should be a trip report link from that year about it—no lie. One of the worst things that has ever happened to us on vacation, but things happen. Some things are beyond your control and no amount of planning can prepare you for that. We still love Disney and have for over 30 years!

We have received some great news that we will have 4 extra guests next year for our trip! My brother, nephews and sister in law will be joining, so that makes our hearts very happy. Can’t wait to start that one too J

Here’s the plan…for the 3 of us (Big Daddy-60, Grammy Debbie-60 & Me-34)
Chillin' at the Rose Bowl

September 21st Drive to CLE to stay overnight and catch flight the next morning.
September 22nd-25th Universal: Royal Pacific Resort
Park to park visits
Take a drive down the old Space Coast Highway some afternoon

September 25th-28th Bay Lake Tower
September 28th-Oct 2nd Beach Club Resort

Next up the day to day!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
We went to Antojitos shortly after it opened in 2014 when we visited Universal. Getting seated was a process. I don’t think the staff was fully trained at the time, so I cut them some slack. We were seated, but it took me asking another staff member for a server when they realized they dropped the ball. However the food was very good and the Mariachi band was entertaining. Overall it was a good experience.

Well this time we were seated within a few minutes, but unfortunately there were other problems.

The server finally came over and asked for our drink order as we pondered over our menus. The menu is large, but it has all your Mexican favorites. I had already had a Guinness earlier and drinking liquor soon before bed gives me reflux problems, so I skipped the gigantic margarita this evening. Although I do love a margarita on the rocks, I don’t need a quart sized drink haha.

He asked us if we wanted to start with an appetizer, but we were ready to order our meals and DM was having nachos anyhow. The band wasn’t scheduled to play any time soon unfortunately, so there was just people watching and the bar to view from my seat. My parents got to watch the kitchen prepare the food. The food was taking quite a while, the kind of time frame you realize you have been waiting a long time, yeah that long. The server kept saying it was coming, it’s almost ready.

It eventually arrived and everything was lukewarm. At this point we were so hungry we ate what we had. The cheese on DM nachos had congealed-at some point the cheese was melted, but it sat too long before being served. DF burrito was maybe a shade over luke warm. My taco meat, which was grilled on a grill with flames was not hot either. I don’t need my food to be a raging inferno, but I do expect hot food and the second night in a row with disappointing food is a real turn off.

Trying to get our check was another issue. Obviously, we were not pleased and we asked for the check and the server kept asking if we wanted anything else or dessert. After three times he should understand that we just want the check so we can leave. Totally oblivious to our overall experience. Maybe if you ring up your bar bill you get better service.

Not sure what was going on, but someone should be ashamed to call themselves a chef after serving food that wasn’t acceptable for service. It is not fine dining, but with the competition on property you have got to try harder than that. I won’t be back nor do I recommend Antojitos to any of my family or friends.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Saturday September the 24th

A quick breakfast at the lounge and then back to Universal for Escape from Gringott’s- since it opened back up yesterday. The queue is probably better than FJ, but because of the interactive goblins. The ride vehicle is more restricting for me being Pooh sized. My weight is centralized in my belly area and apparently if you are given the front row- shoulder harness needs to come down further than the rows behind. Well it wouldn’t make the final click so we had to be taken off and sent to wait around the corner. That was embarrassing. Finally we were placed in the third row with no problem. Once around on the ride was good enough for me anyhow.

Afterwards we wandered through the shops and I picked up some button badges. Most of the merchandise hasn’t turned over much from previous years, but it is all very high quality unlike some of the other Universal products. I was eyeing the chocolate cauldrons, but I figured I would visit the Toothsome emporium later.

We wandered out of Diagon Alley and rode Men In Black again, Minion Mayhem, then did the first showing of the T-2 show. After that we rode Transformers and took the train back to IOA.

It was mid day and we needed to get to Disney Springs to activate our APs and buy our TIW card. So we decided to split from the park and maybe come back later in the afternoon since IOA was open later and there was no private event that evening.

to Disney Springs...

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Disney Springs

Well Guest Services had relocated and I didn’t really pay attention to where before the trip. I guess it was just one of those small details you overlook while you are bogged down planning your daily strategy and meals. Well it wasn’t far from our original starting point of the Lime Garage!

It was about a 20 minute wait, which is quite typical for Guest Services and I think most folks have caught on that it is way better to wait in a nice air conditioned building, than standing outside EPCOT or the MK sweating to death J. The process took about another 20 minutes to purchase APs, activate, sync with MBs and buy the Tables in Wonderland card. The new building is pretty sweet though and no longer do you need to wait in the narrow hallway-you can spread out in the room and a CM comes to get you when they have a representative ready.

Boathouse Lunch

By now we were starved! Deluxe Burger was there, but didn’t really strike the mood. So we strolled down to the Boathouse. Now that we have been there for dinner, which was later on in the trip, lunch would be my preferred meal here. Dinner was jam packed with loud crazy people and birthday celebrations for drunken adults who behave worse than most children. Hey, it is a busy place I get it! The food and service are great and they offer fresh seafood. It is a big draw, but I like a more calm atmosphere. Lunch is a lovely time to enjoy the view and food. Fresh fish and chips were perfect-the fish was bread crumb coated rather than batter fried and the chips, while tasty and thin need to be eaten quickly before they get soggy. Nothing grosses me out more than soggy chips or bread.

It was a lovely lunch. Dinner was later in the week-I will get to that later in the report. Time to head back to Universal property!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
From the pool to Portofino

We decided against going back into the park and went to the pool instead. I would have liked to have ridden the new King Kong ride, but we will save it for next time. I like to leave a little on the table for the next trip’s excitement. Fast & Furious is opening this summer, so that will also be something to look forward to experiencing.

The pool at Royal Pacific isn’t spectacular or crazy big, but it doesn’t need to be. We find it convenient to the 3rd tower that we stay in-the elevator opens right out into the pool patio and walk way to the boat launch. The pool is a decent size with minimal depth. The surrounding area is nicely manicured and clean. Universal also has a fenced in area around the pool to keep children or unregistered guests from entering or exiting. I do not know why people get so frazzled about fences being ugly around pool areas. In my home state of Pennsylvania, where you can swim about 3 months out of the year, requires at least a 4 foot fence be around a swimming pool. It is not for looks, it is for safety!

The pool area attendants were friendly and always said good morning or afternoon and were happy to help with any issue or question you had for them. They play a movie in the pool area each night, similar to Disney, but they bring it right in the pool area, so I guess kids can swim and watch a movie at the same time. Entertainment multitasking! The ship structure in the pool area is a kiddie play area. Many resorts put these kid zones in and I don’t even think the kids want to play in them-they want to be in the big pool of course. The age for the kiddie play area is pretty narrow, but it looks really neat.

The pool food is great and we have had it in the past, but with the late lunch and a reservation at Mama Della’s waiting for later, there was no time for nachos! It was time to wash up for supper at Mama Della’s at the Portofino Bay Resort!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Mama Della’s via CityWalk

I saved the best for last I had hoped. I’ll cut to the chase and say Mama’s was the best meal on Universal property. I snag a reservation every time we visit and with the Open Table app it was a piece of cake! Oh maybe I will have some cake for dessert.

Along the way to dinner, I will discuss the pros and cons of staying on property at Universal Studios. For one, if you plan on visiting the parks for 2 days or more stay on property. The deluxe resorts are less than that of the “deluxe” resorts at Disney. You are missing out on some perks like a patio or more square footage, but splurging for club level is way more economical. So if you want to spoil the family for a few nights this is the place to do it. I love staying concierge at the Polynesian or Beach Club, but for $700-$800 a night, it is way outrageous! If you have rented a car, which we do every time, you are charged a fee per day to park in the lot as well.

The boat service on Universal property is stellar. The only down side being if there is lightening and heavy rain the boat service is suspended and you have to catch the less frequent and less reliable resort to resort shuttle. We lucked out and didn’t experience any wild weather till later our in the WDW portion of the trip. The longest wait was maybe 15-20 minutes, mind you we avoided the times when the crowds would be the worst like park closing or after a major event. The boat staff is friendly and courteous too!

Universal checks you bags before you board the boat at your resort. RPR has manual check, whereas Portofino has an x-ray machine that you put your bags through and a metal detector. They do a thorough bag check and wand you for metal items. The lines are not a bad since they are limited to whoever is riding the boat instead of being at the front of the park.

Portofino Bay Resort is absolutely stunning when approaching by boat. The daylight was dwindling and I managed to get a few nice shots especially with Big Daddy and DM.

[/URL
]
[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal%202016/IMG_7574.jpg.html][/URL
]

We arrived a few minutes early for our reservation so we meandered around a bit. The first on property resort stay was here at the Portofino about 16 years ago. It was back when my brother was in college. The resort is luxurious and the décor is lovely, but what I dislike about the Universal resorts (HRR, RPR incl.) is the mega hotel feel. The Beach, Yacht and Boardwalk are also guilty of long, almost never ending hallways. Bay Lake Tower can feel institutional, but at least it isn’t as big as it looks. When it is really busy you feel it waiting for the elevators, which can be a bear, but being an early riser helps avoid that 8-9 AM crush of guests.

Mama Della’s is next to Sal’s on the ground floor-water level of the resort. Sal’s is a deli pizzeria that you can order your food and they will make it fresh to order. The pizza is really good and it offers sandwiches, homemade desserts, and beverages of all types. It is a fun place to stop for a families looking for a lower cost meal that’s shareable. I have never been to Bice, but it looks fancier than anything I want to try. I am sure Victoria and Albert’s is amazing and some day I would like to try it, but I am not in to fine dining. I like to eat and I am not into all that pretentious pomp and circumstance.

The restaurant is dressed up like several different dining rooms at Mama’s house. And yes, Mama comes around and checks on your meal. The restaurant is on the dark side in some areas. Our table was off to the side of the main dining room where larger tables are and the open kitchen. This is no food factory, that chef is up there barking orders to his cooks and they are turning out plate after plate of steaming hot food.

It was rather dark where we were seated so I didn’t want to annoy other guests with the flash. Too long and unsteady for longer shutter speeds too!

Mama’s Menu
[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal%202016/IMG_7580.jpg.html][/URL
]

Mohammed was our server for the evening and he presented the specialties of the house. He kept the Fiji bottles rolling to my table! I was having the lasagna, which is a weird choice for me, I am not a huge fan, but it sounded fabulous. It was layers of creamy cheesy béchamel and meaty Bolognese sauce in a portion about the size of my hand. Big Daddy and I both ordered that dish and DM went with the fettuccine Alfredo, another creamy decadent dish. I wish I had room for an appetizer and dessert, but I figured with the lasagna that would be filling enough and I was right.

Mama Della’s saved the first few days of disappointments. Service was excellent as was the food. A must if you love fine Italian food served with love.

Hard Rock Café at night
[URL=http://s130.photobucket.com/user/erg48/media/Universal%202016/IMG_7586.jpg.html][/URL
]

So long from Universal, these cats are off to find a couple of mice!
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom