How big will MK24 really be...Crowd Comparison?

Oh, I'm psycho. Seems like a challenge to me. So, challenge accepted. And yeah, the wee smalls will be great for photos as I'm sure all the sane people will be sleeping.

pketelaar01

Im debating with my brother whether we should do our planned 2 magic kingdoms in one day trip. Start in MK, fly to SNA end in Disneyland. Would be a perfect opportunity.

worldfanatic

it won't be crowded. I'm referring to Disney World here. Disneyland will probably be crazy crowded.

Completely agree.
The Magic Kingdom will be manageable. Disneyland will be a ZOO!!!!!

I really wish those upset would just realize this is a MARKETING PROMOTION!

The purpose is to create buzz, get the Disney brand out there when it normally wouldn't, and DO IT ALL FOR FREE!

Advertising without paying.

From a marketing standpoint it is AWESOME!

Sorry if it doesn't appeal to you personally, but it wasn't meant to. Deal with it.

Totally correct Jimbo.
It'll draw some crowds during a slower time of year, but the promotional aspect is the key thing.

I've never payed much attention to the yearly celebration/gimmick, and this one certainly does nothing for me.
But it's pure marketing genius.
Bravo Disney!!:sohappy:

Pioneer Hall

If they did, their passes wouldn't work for FPs. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure the CMs have clearing the park down to a science. Chances of someone succeeding are probably next to nil.

It is a science, and I bet that it is going to be a super hard close. Doors will slam shut at 6:00am and people will be ushered out of the few stores open even sooner than that (my guess is that everything retail outside of main street will close by 5). They are going to sweep that park very quickly and roll out cleaning crews the second that an area is clear.

Mouse Detective

All the newspapers I read mentioned the 24-hour thing so it was a good marketing gimmick. Now I've got to decide whether to attend or not! Being local makes it fairly easy to accomplish.

PirateFrank

When did I say it wasn't? A marketing promotion and a gimmick are one in the same....

Sorry. Disagree there. It has nearly zero reach. It's a one day thing that will not affect DP's customers, save for the precious few (relatively speaking) that have already planned their vacations to overlap feb 29.

Sorry if it doesn't appeal to you personally, but it wasn't meant to. Deal with it.

Wow, you're taking this mightily personal. How do you know it wasn't meant to appeal to me? I have zero problem with this promotion. If they want to fine. I am only commenting that it has very little impact on the majority people that pay to turn the turnstiles. A successful marketing approach has few viable objectives....almost all of them result in higher ROI. How is increasing park hours for one day for such a small percentage of annual park visitors going to do that? I can't *wait* to hear your answer for this....:slurp:

These boards have been screaming for years that Disney shouldn't keep throwing out these generic promotions each year. Guess what? This time they didn't. So of course more complaints.

Wow, decaf dude. I'm not so sure this lines up with either side of the complaint. Personally, I think the promotions are great. What you're misinterpreting that people are complaining about are the perpetual discounts. The promotions are the various gimmicky 'themes' that may or may not be coupled with some type of a give away. I thought the 'year of million dreams' was great...in theme and execution. I personally thought the 'give a day get a day' one was lame. But it worked for some....regardless, the theme spanned an entire year and the ability to 'sell' that promotion to the entire potential annual DP customer base was realized.

I'm only commenting how this particular promotion reaches to the people that just so happened to book their vacation during feb 29th. Such a small swath of people. Short sighted.

If they did, their passes wouldn't work for FPs. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure the CMs have clearing the park down to a science. Chances of someone succeeding are probably next to nil.

I'm sure you're right....in that they've narrowed the sweep down to a science....regardless, I strongly suspect that the someone who would try wouldn't care about FP working. He or she would try to pull it off, given the once in a blue moon opportunity that the 24 hour opening would present. I'd be willing to bet Cast Members have been advised to be on the lookout for such a thing and I would be shocked if they didn't find at least one person trying to pull it off...

Thrill

The purpose is to create buzz, get the Disney brand out there when it normally wouldn't, and DO IT ALL FOR FREE!

Advertising without paying.

Sure, it is a tad of a copycat of the US HP 7.2 premier surprise promotion, but it is much bigger and will actually include attractions, not just an opportunity to buy stuff.

These boards have been screaming for years that Disney shouldn't keep throwing out these generic promotions each year. Guess what? This time they didn't. So of course more complaints.

I can't see this as an effective marketing promotion. I mean really, they announced it two months ahead. How many people book that close? And of those who are willing to book two months out, how many of them have any desire to walk around a park at 4 AM?

If you want marketing, pull another Happiest Celebration on Earth. Adding four attractions is incredibly marketable. Although Lights, Motors, Action cut into Backlot Tour, Soarin' killed Food Rocks, and the castle show was, well, a castle show, the average guests to whom WDW is trying to cater have no idea. They hear, "Disney is adding four attractions," and book. And even though closures were made, it was still a relatively good promotion from a fan's standpoint. Expedition Everest is great, and I think many would argue that Soarin' is a good attraction. The only addition I can think of in Disney's recent annual promotions has been the Magic, Memories, and You show. It's good, sure, but comparable to Expedition Everest? Never. Even Year of a Million Dreams was a nice promotion. But these last 3, 4, or 5 years (I lost track of how many boring promotions there have been) have just been lacking.

This is surely a marketing based promotion, but not a very good one, even from a marketing standpoint.

As for this not being a generic marketing promotion, it's not generic in the sense that it's "Oh look commercials with a new song," but I think the argument is that Disney is making these marketing promotions for no apparent reason. They're generic not because they are unpredictable in their content, but because they are going to inevitably going to be at the center of Disney's marketing for the year, and very little is going to come out of it. If it's Disneyland's 50th, there's reason to celebrate. Building a whole promotion around an event that takes place every four years, not really quite so important.

DisneyJoe

I'm only commenting how this particular promotion reaches to the people that just so happened to book their vacation during feb 29th. Such a small swath of people. Short sighted.

Actually, laser-focused.

- it doesn't just cover the 29th, but you can get extra days for the 2 week period of Feb 26-March 10. Must be booked by January 31 - January can be on the slow side for bookings - with Christmas bills to be paid etc...

- 60 vacation giveaways for the months of January and February.

- benefits locals who are usually one of the first to complain that Disney never does anything for them

- leaves them free to promote other things after March 10, or even after January 31, since that is the deadline for booking.

kennygman

I just hope they ACTUALLY do something. Anything. Run main street vehicles with lights on, bring out characters, offer dance parties. Seems like an easy and cheap way to create a fun day. BUT please, please don't just do some silly speech and sell cupcakes!!!

mickeysaver

I just hope they ACTUALLY do something. Anything. Run main street vehicles with lights on, bring out characters, offer dance parties. Seems like an easy and cheap way to create a fun day. BUT please, please don't just do some silly speech and sell (only 12 Dozen "Special") cupcakes!!!

No kidding!

worldfanatic

This is surely a marketing based promotion, but not a very good one, even from a marketing standpoint.

I have to disagree.
I don't think they were so much concerned about making a bunch of money from people who come to take advantage of the 24 hour opening.
Although they will reap some small rewards there.

Instead, the main benefit will be the free promotion they get right around Feb 29th.
I promise you there'll be media coverage of the DL and WDW 24 hour events. (whether it's CNN, The Networks, Newspapers, etc.)
(I guarantee Disney owned ABC News will cover it)

And that coverage will come right about the time that many people are beginning to plan their summer vacations.
Nice time to have Walt Disney World and Disneyland splashed across the news.
I think it's brilliant.

WDW1974

I have to disagree.
I don't think they were so much concerned about making a bunch of money from people who come to take advantage of the 24 hour opening.

Instead, the main benefit will be the free promotion they get right around Feb 29th.
I promise you there'll be media coverage of the DL and WDW 24 hour events. (whether it's CNN, The Networks, Newspapers, etc.)

And that coverage will come right about the time that many people are beginning to plan their summer vacations.
I think it's brilliant.

Brilliant?!?!

REALLY??!?

JimboJones123

I have to disagree.

I think it's brilliant.

Exactly.

The purpose of MARKETING is not the same purpose as ADVERTISING.

This is not an advertising campaign. The main purpose isn't to buy air time and sell tickets.

It is to build a brand and build buzz. Two things that have been very much lacking and very much complained about here.

The outright dismissal of this promotion due to personal appeal is petty. Disney is breaking from the normal "sell X number of packages by Y date, rinse, repeat."

As for those willing to participate, read the posts here. There is some very excited buzz.

Disney wants to build their brand to be fun, accessible, unpredictable, and extraordinary. Free advertising to promote these points just as Americans are getting tax returns and planning summer vacations is an added bonus.

Again, the only down side I see is being upset because you weren't pinpointed as a target audience. Maybe next time it will. Maybe it won't. I know I am satisfied not being touched by every piece of marketing.

Boy, reminds me of the awful complaints following the "Magical Beginnings" campaign.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Im debating with my brother whether we should do our planned 2 magic kingdoms in one day trip. Start in MK, fly to SNA end in Disneyland. Would be a perfect opportunity.

THAT would be a great use of the day. I've always thought about trying to ride both Pirates in the same day...and this may be your chance.

Brian Noble

I might not go so far as brilliant, but it is very clever, because I think this hits the nail on the head:

Prediction:

Everyone complains now, and claims how Disney could have done more. The event happens- and same thing happens.

We don't know many details of the 24 hour day. Perhaps they will run fireworks or a parade at 2 or 4am. Perhaps they won't. Maybe even perimeters with Wishes? Perhaps they will have all sorts of neat things set up in the MK, perhaps they won't. I'd wait until closer to the even to see what kind of details they unfold, if any. :shrug:

I honestly think it's pretty neat, and I'll be one of the crazy ones riding at 5 am. Eventho I've ridden SM at 2,3,4,5,6am before- there's still something neat about the whole park being open that late, and perhaps crowds being slim to none after 3 or 4.

benji

I'll be there! I booked my room at the Disney's Contemporary Resort. MK24 is a great promotion. It's silly but have FUN with it, thats what Disney wants you to do... when have you ever been at MK at 4am? Its kinda like going shopping at midnight on black friday. You dont really need to go but you go anyways just for the FUN of it. If black friday can bring in the crowds why can't Disney. Two different things but you get the picture ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom