How badly Leave a Legacy failed!

Sherrybaby

I believe the bigger statement that people took offense to was a suggestion that anyone who actually bought one of the tiles was stupid and gullible. Do you like being called stupid and/or gullible? I know I don't.

I agree 100%. I also don't like OTHER people outside of Disney trying to take away MY tile because they don't like the "tombstones". I was promised a 50 year tile at WDW. If Disney takes it down or moves it to some ugly, obscure place because of threads like this then I'm going to be upset, along with a lot of other people, I'm sure.

Christina

jmvd20

Why keep defending this leave a legacy junk?

It's like the handful of people who kept defending disney's decision to leave that tacky wand up. The silent majority think it is ugly,

People that don't like the wand are the silent majority??? :ROFLOL:

That is one of the best ones I have heard in weeks. People have been bashing the wand non-stop around here since it was first built.

ToTBellHop

People that don't like the wand are the silent majority??? :ROFLOL:

That is one of the best ones I have heard in weeks. People have been bashing the wand non-stop around here since it was first built.
I would argue the Wand haters are more the "loud, obnoxious minority".

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
This thread started with reasoning that people may not agree with, but at least it had its basis in some facts and figures rather than some random inflammatory statement.

Depends on your/Merfs definition of fact and reasoning. Just looked like an opinion to me, an opinion that stressess that there is one orthodoxy at WDW.

Personaly Id like to be given the choice to make up my own mind rather than be presented with one fans opinion.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Exactly. If he was trolling that would be one thing, but he's clearly a guy who loves Epcot and has strong opinions about what goes on there. He also posts when he's excited about something going on at Epcot. This thread started with reasoning that people may not agree with, but at least it had its basis in some facts and figures rather than some random inflammatory statement.

I'm extremely surprised that this topic has proved so controversial. A lot of people on this board seem very sensitive to criticism of Disney.

Actually, there was no support other than some simple math. Merf then stated his opinion that because of the result of the math that he provided that LAL was a "complete and utter failure". I took exception that LAL was a "complete and utter failure" using the position that LAL allowed me to recognize my mom's affect on my life in a way that is not typical.

There have been some comments that Merf was only referring to the financial aspect of the equation. My contention that the phrase "complete and utter failure" is all encompassing and he meant what he typed. Had he been referring only to the economics, he very likely would have said that "This profit center was a complete and utter failure".

ToTBellHop

I'd hate to hear what the wand haters would say if they put a pair of pants on Donald Duck.
there was a very interesting study recently regarding male ducks...suffice it to say, from that reading, maybe Donald should wear pants. He at least has the decency to wear a towel covering his lower half after showers. I once tried dressing like Donald...didn't go over so well, though I did get a few date offers.

JimboJones123

there was a very interesting study recently regarding male ducks...suffice it to say, from that reading, maybe Donald should wear pants. He at least has the decency to wear a towel covering his lower half after showers. I once tried dressing like Donald...didn't go over so well, though I did get a few date offers.
Don't know if those would really be concidered "dates". :lol:

kennyj29

I'm sorry but I think the whole thing is hideous. When I look at the pictures of Epcot from years back and see how beautiful the front of Epcot was, it bothers me terribly that those tiles are there now. It took away from the beauty of Epcot's entrance. I'm not saying totally destroy them but put them in another location that wouldn't be such an eyesore. You can put it anywhere around Epcot and it wouldn't look as bad.

Epcot82Guy

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: ! Just a thought:shrug:

ha ha. No. Actually, I do think there would be a nice compromise there. The only shape I would see working would be Mickey as the basic three circles because anything else would be too intricate to be recognizeable. And, there could be potential for a very modern presentation of that. But, as it is, the square blocks of tiles just wouldn't make it work. So, blocks of some sort it is (barring massive overhaul and reetching of tiles).

Anyway, as interesting as this is, I am in the middle of bar study, so I really should preserve my brain power for the next week and a half. Thus, I leave you all to discuss, and I will see you after July 26. :wave:

The Mak

I agree 100%. I also don't like OTHER people outside of Disney trying to take away MY tile because they don't like the "tombstones". I was promised a 50 year tile at WDW. If Disney takes it down or moves it to some ugly, obscure place because of threads like this then I'm going to be upset, along with a lot of other people, I'm sure.

Christina

I don't think anybody in the various LaL threads I read have said to bulldoze the LaL tiles themselves. A reworking of the entrance to beautify LaL to make it look non-tombstone-ish or non-war-memorial would placate a lot of people on these forums.

There's also plenty of 'blank' space in Futureworld West to relocate LaL very tastefully. That part of the park isn't exactly 'obscure' is it?

RiversideBunny

The current design makes it looks as though Space Ship Earth is about to take off and leave behind some dead crew members.

The design could have been a Lot better.

:rolleyes:

I think it was a nice idea but it really wasn't done properly. I always felt that the Leave A Legacy tombstones would have been better suited if they were towards the rear of the park, perhaps around the area of the walkway to the World Showcase. Right there at the enterace makes it look cluttered and cheap

EPCOT Explorer

I actually don't mind the LAL.I relly like the visual illusion they create with SSE.As a EPCOT Purist they nearly arn't as bad as the Wand.

A bit overpriced though:)

darkstarx13

i bought one of those things awhile ago, two actually, one of me and my brother, and one of my parents. and this was like some odd years ago
BUT the sales of the leave a leagacy engravings are decreasing, everytme i walk by them (when it was open) i wouldnt see too many people in line...maybe 1 or 2..but thats about it. :(

CBOMB

He wasn't posting an opinion. He was posting a fact. He saw kids playing on them. Others have seen people complaining about them. I have seen both as well. While it is "against the rules," some kids see it as a play area (there's an idea - Eisner's Playful Spot, where kids can climb all over the pictures that have been mounted to slides and such). I brought some friends to Epcot for the first time last May and one of the first comments after entering the Park was, "Who died?" I then had to explain the whole thing to them, to which one said, "It's like they buried Walt here or something." Now, while I have not seen the bird droppings, I also don't get close enough to them to notice those kinds of details. I weave though them as quickly as possible. But I don't find it at all hard to believe that birds can and do ________ on them.
As for those who are complaining because some people are complaining, can you honestly tell me that every little thing Disney does is perfect? Every attraction is great? I'm sorry, I love Disney, but I won't hestitate to say if I think something is not up to "Disney standards," as I have interpreted them from the past. Things like the Wand, the Hat, and the Tombstones (all from approximately the same time period. Coincidence? I don't think so) don't strike me as particularly good show and if someone like Mousemerf (or myself)wants to create a thread slamming something he doesn't like or thinks is a failure, then it is his right to do so. It is also your right to post and opposite opinion if you want, but to complain because he's trying to lift Disney up to what he (or I) believe is a higher standard again is, in my opinion, wrong. If you don't like the thread and you think it is too negative, there's nothing keeping you in it. The red "x" at the top right corner of your screen will close it immediately and you can get back to threads that give you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
While you have seen, and heard those things, I have not. Funny how that works isn't it.
It is everyone's right to state an opinion. However when the opinion is stated in such a way to sound like a fact, that's when the heated debate starts.
While Merf may be trying to lift Disney up to a higher standard, it is only to the standard that he feels is appropriate. That is an opinion, he is entitled to that. Everyone can choose to agree or disagree with it. Because people take a different view than from the one that some might have, does not mean they are defending Disney or that they think everything is perfect. It only means they have a different opinion from others.
I have always enjoyed each, and every one of Mousermerf's post. They are always stimulating, and provacative. I just may not agree with them.
Because, as mentioned before, they did try multiple times to give them away. Not just in packages.
What were the other times they tried to give them away other than offering them to CM? I'm just curious, not saying that it didn't happen, I just don't remember it.
Why keep defending this leave a legacy junk?

It's like the handful of people who kept defending disney's decision to leave that tacky wand up. The silent majority think it is ugly, even people at disney probably think it was ugly, it was just a matter of getting the money and getting a management that really cares about the product to finally have it removed. Thankfully now there seems to be better people throughout the company (Jobs, Lasseter, Catmull, Vaughn, Macphee) and they are going to take action to clean up the mistakes of the past.
Junk is merely your opinion. If the silent majority is silent, how do you know what they want? Glad you know what the folks at Disney disapprove of.
The powers that be will do just fine until they make some move that some people here will disagree with. When that happens the trashing will start. That's the real circle of life.
Exactly. If he was trolling that would be one thing, but he's clearly a guy who loves Epcot and has strong opinions about what goes on there. He also posts when he's excited about something going on at Epcot. This thread started with reasoning that people may not agree with, but at least it had its basis in some facts and figures rather than some random inflammatory statement.

I'm extremely surprised that this topic has proved so controversial. A lot of people on this board seem very sensitive to criticism of Disney.
Why do you think people are sensitive to critcism of Disney when they just have a different opinion than the one you might have.
Just remember Merf isn't the only one here that loves Epcot, nor is he the only one with strong opinions, and strong feelings about the direction Epcot should be taking.

speck76

Came across this tidbit as a "tip" at disneyworld.com:

Okay.. now let's look at the press information from Legacy's closure...

750,000 - 550,000 = 200,000 unfilled tiles

That's ~26% of the original total. Nearly 8 years and the thing is under 3/4 of the way full.

They would of had to sell them for atleast 2 more years assuming the rate of sale was steady from start to finish. Far more likely then the needed ~256 sales a day, with how unbusy the kiosks had become, they were looking at several years, 4 or maybe 5.

What a complete and utter failure.

of course it would be YOU to point out something that YOU think is a failure.....

Most projects never expect 100% of sales.....hotels are not built to always be 100% occupied, theme parks are not built to always be at 100% capacity....

Not expecting someone like you to understand this....but whatever

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom