How are April & May at WDW, in terms of crowds and weather?

KentB3

Original Poster
Though it has been less than two months since returning from my first-ever WDW trip, I have been seriously thinking about my next trip already! :D :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :animwink: Besides having THE BEST vacation in my lifetime, I missed a bunch of things while I was there; for instance, Downtown Disney, both water parks, The Living Seas (closed then) and Soarin' (out of FastPasses with a 60 minute wait) at EPCOT, a couple of things at Animal Kingdom, about half of the attractions at Disney-MGM (due to ABC Soap Weekend crowds); not to mention Splash Mountain, Liberty Belle Riverboat (both closed) and Space Mountain (also out of FastPasses with an astronomical wait) in the Magic Kingdom.

I have been sort of considering April or May for a next trip, but not exactly sure about weather and crowds during these months there. If anyone can fill me in here, please feel free to post! :)

CThaddeus

April should be horrendous, as that will encompass the spring break/Easter madness. I have heard, though, the weeks after Easter are usually good until about the 3rd or 4th week in May, when the summer madness begins. Hopefully, what I've heard is right, as I intend to be there the last weekend in April and the first week of May. My fingers are crossed...

Disneyfanman

I recommend that you purchase the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World". They have added a few pages that predicts crowd levels by the day, and takes into account past trends and things like "Extra Magic Hours". We used it for our past trip over Thanksgiving and found it to be amazingly accurate.

I have been there during the busiest times of the year, and have always found that if I avoided the early morning days, and got their early, that I could manage the crowds just fine. The "Unofficial Guide" has been part of my visits for the past 10 years. I haven't waited in a line for more than 45 minutes in years. I have read other books too, but think that one is by far the best.

KentB3

Original Poster
Disneyfanman said:
I recommend that you purchase the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World". They have added a few pages that predicts crowd levels by the day, and takes into account past trends and things like "Extra Magic Hours". We used it for our past trip over Thanksgiving and found it to be amazingly accurate.

I have been there during the busiest times of the year, and have always found that if I avoided the early morning days, and got their early, that I could manage the crowds just fine. The "Unofficial Guide" has been part of my visits for the past 10 years. I haven't waited in a line for more than 45 minutes in years. I have read other books too, but think that one is by far the best.

I have the Unofficial Guide to WDW; in fact, five copies (1992, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006). However, they can't be right about EVERY April and May of every year, so I was trying to ask what it was like then, from the expecience(s) of various WDWMagic members.

Just thought you'd like to know! :animwink:

CAPTAIN HOOK

The Unofficial Guide is a surprisingly accurate guess at crowd levels. April is busy due to Spring Break and Easter (depending upon when the two events fall) - the weather is warm and can reach high 90's (1999). Park hours reflect attendance (particularly over Easter)

shari71

Well it was completely wrong about the first week in December this year. I used it to plan our Christmas vacation and it was listed as a 1 out of 10 for crowds. It really wasn't that good. Maybe it was just a off year for the records but I didn't see much difference in early Dec than October.

mickeysgal

We went in mid-April one year and we will never do it again. In April, a lot of schools take their senior trips to Disney/Orlando area. Disney also hosts a lot of grad nights during that month. While the crowds were so-so, the rudeness of the students was enough to make you want to scream. I can't tell you how many times we stood in line and were cut by 10+ teenagers (one stood on line and then the rest jumped in). They really spoiled our vacation. We are going in mid-May this year (our first time visit during this month), if it's the same, we'll stick to going in January-February like usual. Hope you have a lovely time!

scorp111

We went Late April- Early May last year for a couple of weeks. Weather was warmish, low 90's, and crowds were about average. They picked up a little bit around 5/5, as that was the start of the celebration.

Trishnh

The best time to go!

We have been several times the last week of April/first week of may and the second week in May and I think that is the best time to go! The weather is perfect--usually warm, not humid, and not a lot of rain. The crowds are lower the second week in May--except for Mother's Day which is very crowded. We are heading down again this year April 22- May3:sohappy: --I cant wait!!

I think early April and LAte May get much more crowded with spring breaks and summer vacations starting.

Joevn

I've been around the beginning of May several times and the crowds weren't that bad at all.

Here's a great web-site that gives an idea of crowd levels each day. It's from the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" mentioned in a previous post. I used it to help plan out my days for my trip last August and we ended up having a great time without too much hassle with crowds and such.

http://www.touringplans.com/BestDays.htm

Joe

Erik

I would suggest finding the spring break schedules of Florida school districts - we mistakenly went during this time and it was the most crowded I had ever seen the parks.

executivechef

My family and myself look forward to our May vacation every year. The weather is great and the crowds are light in my opinion. Last May was a little busy when we went May 5th-12th but they also opened Soaring a few days before we arrived. This year EE opens and from what I've read and information posted that it has an opening date in April so I think that month is going to be a nightmare for crowds with spring break at the same time.
The weather was great, 75-80 during the day and cool nights made for perfect weather.
Hope my opinion helps in a small way. Hope to see ya there in May..:)
May 5th-13th for us!
Guy

timkelmom

Echoing everyone else, April is quite crowded due to spring breaks. The last week of April through May is considered average attendance. I would suggest May but try to avoid Mother's Day weekend.:)

NIU EE

This past year April's Easter crowds stretched longer than usual and May's crowds came earlier in the month. If trends continue there won't be full weeks worth of slow times at the world.

jovada

In Belgium, the Easter holiday is from April 1 until April 17, 2006. So that's probably not a good time to go?
Isn't there some schedule with holidays available? I now everything there is to know about Disneyland Paris, and the first thing I do is consult a page of the government listing the Belgian holidays and another one listing the French holidays. Very easy. But for the US, I can't find any information regarding school breaks.

PhotoDave219

As soon as Orange County schools lets out, it gets nasty. If youre goign in april, make it early and expect average crowd levels.

There is NO DEAD TIME anymore....

mnagel55

Joevn said:
I've been around the beginning of May several times and the crowds weren't that bad at all.

Here's a great web-site that gives an idea of crowd levels each day. It's from the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" mentioned in a previous post. I used it to help plan out my days for my trip last August and we ended up having a great time without too much hassle with crowds and such.

http://www.touringplans.com/BestDays.htm

Joe

Thanks for the link.....its relatively 'last minute' but we are going to take our DD for her 10th B-day (April21st)......hooohooo...our week scored a 10 :cry:

Heatherbell

I have been in April and I would seriously consider avoiding it during the vacaion weeks, keeping in mind that some schools are the second week of April and some are the thrid week. Then take into consideration people decide to go early/stay later then the actual school vacations to avoid the big crowds. We went the second week of May in 2003 which would've been just fine except every softball/cheerleading squad from every school in America was there (little exaggeration). Then we went this past April during the last week and it was moderately busy but again, alot of school bands and cheerleaders etc. It was hot in May, a little cooler in April...

Anytime you go should be fine if you just avoid vacation, just be prepared and know that it isn't the "slow"time.

Have fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom