"House of Magic" Returns to Main Street Magic Kingdom

Sundown

Original Poster
So, the "House of Magic" sign has been painted on the Emporium, in the old store spot, as well as windows themed with House of Magic things. I actually can't believe it, as this is a Magic Kingdom favorite of mine. Last week they released a YesterEars House of Magic shirt and MagicBand, this week the sign and window dressing.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/shopping/em...store-front-returns-to-main-street-u.s.a..htm

So...why the love for the House of Magic? I am thrilled to see it. The designer of the shirt, is a fan of the old shop. The facade is a big surprise to me.

EDIT: I've been thinking more about this. So to me...THIS is exactly the type of park stuff that as a park-enthusiast I love to see. Yes, Disney is a huge company, profit machine, etc. Of course. But this to me shows that at the individual level, there are designers and Imagineers that actually care about seeing cool, original-park themes return.

So I encourage you all...if you like this...support it! Whether it is posting about the House of Magic (drumming up social media enthusiasm) or by purchasing a shirt (yep, they're a little pricey, agreed. But how long has it been since you had the chance get..well ANYTHING form the House of Magic?). I posted about this before in the Tomorrowland Love thread...but how else do the designers and the "people on the ground" get feedback that their efforts are appreciated by fans? And maybe get Mangement's attention to continue doing more?

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

So, the "House of Magic" sign has been painted on the Emporium, in the old store spot, as well as windows themed with House of Magic things. I actually can't believe it, as this is a Magic Kingdom favorite of mine. Last week they released a YesterEars House of Magic shirt and MagicBand, this week the sign and window dressing.

https://blogmickey.com/2017/11/photos-house-magic-facade-returns-main-street-usa/

So...why the love for the House of Magic? I am thrilled to see it. The designer of the shirt, Richard Terpstra is a fan of the old shop. The fascade is a big surprise to me.

The pictures show that the window panes still have the silhouettes of people playing sports on the bottom, but this exterior change is quite a shock to see. Never would have guessed it to happen.

Still, it's a superficial tribute without an actual magic shop inside. Maybe the success of Memento Mori has given Disney the idea to bring back the shop in some form, with a focus on Nightmare, Haunted Mansion, Villain and other Hot Topic-ish items.

AEfx

This is amazing super-awesome news. Like, honestly - much more exciting to me than Tron, LOL.

I still have the stupid little interlocking rings I got there as a kid. They were so bad, never worked right, and I'm sure I could have gotten them anywhere - but I loved them nontheless.

Does anyone have any pics of what it used to look like inside? I feel like it was just stuffed with stuff, but that could be "kid memory".

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
This is amazing super-awesome news. Like, honestly - much more exciting to me than Tron, LOL.

I still have the stupid little interlocking rings I got there as a kid. They were so bad, never worked right, and I'm sure I could have gotten them anywhere - but I loved them nontheless.

Does anyone have any pics of what it used to look like inside? I feel like it was just stuffed with stuff, but that could be "kid memory".

I have no pics but it had tons of stuff and several CMs showing how to do the magic. Maybe we have the same memory but it seemed like the best magic shop on the planet!

The Empress Lilly

I appreciate the shout-out.

But if this is just a façade then that means two things: WDW itself realises classic MS was better and seeks to harken back to it, without any willingness however to swap profit for guest satisfaction by replacing MS: Wallmart for an actual MS again. Or, secondly, that this is WDW just tapping in again on fan nostalgia, like orange bird and Horizons merch and selling 'Universe of Energy Closing' shirts to fans rewarding the closure of their favourites with their wallet.

Atomicmickey

I was just at WDW and my son is very much into magic these days. I told him about the magic shop on
Main Street in DL, and he and I both wondered why there couldn't be something like that at WDW.
The tarp around this was removed right after we left!
Nice to see the facade, but it's a false promise if you can't get anything to do with magic inside,
and that's too bad.

I was also sad to see Sid Cahuenga's nerfed out into PhotoPass. It seems that Disney does not think
that unique, one-of-a-kind shops are something they want to have in the parks anymore . . .

No Name

Neat to see.

Pipe dream - but maybe wdw would be bold enough to operate a Magic shop again (like DL still does). Maybe wdw would think show First before profit just one time???? Lol...not likely.

I'd agree but the general idea is that better show results in a better guest experience, which results in higher profits. It's no charitable effort, it's a smart business decision.

Last edited:

FigmentFan3

Wish they'd do the same for the Penny Arcade and put at least a few of the games and movie players (mutoscopes?). I know that maintaining those things is not easy, though.
There has long been gripe about the upkeep of the brass parts in mutoscopes, but it’s my belief that with a little mechanical know how, a fabrication shop could reproduce at least some of the parts pretty easily as long as they don’t rely too heavily on castings.

JBIRDTO

Yes keep the flow-through of the arcade for guest flow but each section could be more specific to specialty items or unique shopping experiences or theme. This allows the front of the stores to have more character and those entering the shop from main street to have more unique shop experience.

jmuboy

Maybe they will return some of old Main Street for the 50th, and this is the first step in that direction...

We can always dream what you said above is true. Dream-you know like Disney’s founder always inspired us ( and his company) to do!

This renovation got me to thinking that the House of Magic location could serve a dual role as check-in for the Sorcerers of the MK game and also have some magic shop Merchandise like the DL magic shop does. This would free up the Main Street fire house to go back to an exhibit space ( and one more step in removing the Walmart feel Main Street currently has). The sorcerer check in as it currently stands is an abomination in the fire house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom