$$Hotels$$

wagner92

Original Poster
Hey, I will be in Disney sometime around Christmas... and I will be looking to throw around some serious money for a luxury hotel. What would you guys recommend as a hotel choice and why? Grand Floridan? Boardwalk? Key West? Thanks a whole lot!

The Mom

Premium Member
If I were going at Christmas, and money was not an issue, I would choose Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, or Yacht Club/Beach Club, even though at any other time I would probably prefer AKL or the Poly. I just like an old-fashioned Christmas atmosphere, not a "tropical" one. Also, it can be COLD at that time, so again the tropical hotels might seem strange. Of course, I live here year round...you might like it to be more Floridian!

wagner92

Original Poster
I couldn't resist... I live in Iowa.. and it always amuses me to see the Florida people complain about how *Cold* it gets.... with all respect... yeah right... cold is -80 degrees windchill. Try starting your car, huh? But then, I have gotten to the point that I can take my dog outside to go potty ... in shorts and a t-shirt... when it is below freezing. I know it was my fault that I started the thread drift, but please answer my previous question... which hotel and why?

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by wagner92
I couldn't resist... I live in Iowa.. and it always amuses me to see the Florida people complain about how *Cold* it gets.... with all respect... yeah right... cold is -80 degrees windchill. Try starting your car, huh? But then, I have gotten to the point that I can take my dog outside to go potty ... in shorts and a t-shirt... when it is below freezing. I know it was my fault that I started the thread drift, but please answer my previous question... which hotel and why?

I was just trying to give you a choice! OK, I choose....Boardwalk or Beach/Yacht if you're spending most of your time at Epcot and/or DS, Grand Floridian if you're planning on being at MK most, and AKL if you want something really different. We stayed there in June, and it was great. I loved watching the animals from my balcony, and walking around the resort.

Trust me, this was not a thread drift!!! ;)

BTW...what couldn't you resist?

wagner92

Original Poster
Everyone that lives in Florida who thinks 50 degrees is cold... that's what I couldn't resist commenting on. And.. my bad. I meant that "please answer my previous question, which hotel and why?" was not directed towards you, but rather towards anyone else... I wanted to prevent a whole discussion about weather! But thanks anyway for replying again! Looks like I am leaning towards either AKL or Grand Floridan

Smee

Go Wilderness Lodge, the best anytime and boat rides to MK.

I've heard the decorations are the best of any WDW resort.

Tramp

I would avoid the yacht and beach club cuz of all that crappy new construction with their timeshares....
I've never been to WDW at Christmas but I would probably choose the Grand Floridian, if for no other reason, to satisfy my yearning for an old fashioned Christmas.
Now if they can just figure out how to make it snow on Christmas Eve.

Maria

Wilderness Lodge looks awesome for Xmas!! It´s like going to a cabin in the woods... beautiful.

Grand Floridian looks beautiful too, but for a more classic and elegant Xmas.

I like them both....

Hehe....not a discussion over weather, but it does get cold... and HUMID!! (even on the 30´s) that is the challenge...the humidity in Orlando just goes straight to your bones! ;)

Castle Cake Apologist

Actualy...

I don't know if they still do it, but we were there quite a few years ago (6 or 7) for Mickey's Christmas Party and if you were at Main Street USA at the right time, Disney made it snow! :eek: It was truly incredible. Oh, we stayed at Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside):rolleyes: ;) Altho when we visited The Grand Floridian, we wished we had stayed there. (Wilderness Lodge wasn't around then) Unfortuantly, we aren't the type who bathe in gold if ya know what I mean. (We po' lol!) Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps u a bit....

Mattore

On the "where to stay" question...

It depends in part on who you are and your preferences. If you like really fancy and formal - Grand Floridian is awesome. I love that place. And be sure to have dinner at V&A (if money is no issue) its a great meal.

Less formal? The Polynesian can be a lot of fun. Especially just walking on the beaches at nights, etc. It's really a great hotel. But then again, all of them are great. Though I must say, I dont know if I think the Boardwalk really fits the 'luxury' theme.. but its still nice. :)

Coronado

I agree with the Fort Wilderness choice..... The lobby is worth it all. The fireplace in the corner, the tree in the middle, and the fir trees on the property reminds me of some special Christmas times.......everything is there except the cold weather. Have a fantastic vacation.... bring lots of film.....wide lens shots are realy great that time of the year because with all the decorations.

wagner92

Original Poster
Hmmm, sounds like Wilderness is good, however, I can step outside my front door and see fir trees.... I'm not necessarily in the mood to see the same thing that I see in Iowa; however it sounds good! What about Dolphin/Swan everybody?

The Mom

Premium Member
Hmmm, sounds like Wilderness is good, however, I can step outside my front door and see fir trees.... I'm not necessarily in the mood to see the same thing that I see in Iowa; however it sounds good! What about Dolphin/Swan everybody?

It's on Disney property, but not really a Disney hotel...again,if you want a "Floridian" feel...art deco South Beach sort of thing...it's a choice. I think Grand Floridian would be better.

Also, Christmas 1983 the high here was 11 degrees F, Christmas 1989 21F and light snow, etc...not exactly sub zero, but not the best weather to go to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach either. Sometimes it's also in the 80s...you never know.

wagner92

Original Poster
Well right now in Iowa, it is 20 degrees and falling..... usually when I am there every Christmas, the average temperature is about 60 to 70... its paradise after months of shoveling snow until my fingers *snap* off. I do wear shorts when I am there, and most local Floridans look at me like I'm an idiot... (Or like I'm DisneyOwner182 :D :hammer: :p ;) :) It looks like I would probably prefer to go to the Grand Floridan... so can I ask if there is anything I need to do there.. like restaurants, etc? Any good websites? Not the official one!

Lance

its paradise after months of shoveling snow until my fingers *snap* off. I do wear shorts when I am there, and most local Floridans look at me like I'm an idiot...

I hear that!!!

When I go down at Christmas, I bust out the White T-Shirt and cargo shorts. I love the weather in Florida at Christmas time.

Stay at the Contemporary in a tower room.

Big RED

Well the best place to stay over the holidays would have to be the Wilderness lodge. But if you are going for the New Year the magic kingdom is the place to go and if you can't get in (because it fills up quickly) watch the fire works from the Boardwalk. I think it is one of the best places to ring in the new year. You can see all four parks set off their fireworks. The New Year is the only time that fireworks are at Disney's Animal Kingdom. They set them off in the cast Parking area and is a great show as well.

GF for rather fancy quasi-victorian atmosphere; near MK is a plus.

Boardwalk for quasi-edwardian (it seems to me); we love being a short walk from EPCOT and the Studios.

As near as I can tell, all resorts are well-appointed with Christmas cheer.

We get our first look at Wilderness Lodge later this year. We're looking forward to experiencing the holiday atmosphere.

Hopefully, all the cuts back won't interfere with our enjoyment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom