Holy Hail!!!- An Independence Day Trip Report

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
INTRO

During the trip, I debated with myself about doing a report. Most softball trips don’t afford a lot of time for actual vacation activities, but these big summer ones tend to have more time for “STUFF.” They usually are played over the course of a week, there’s typically a lot of downtime before bracket play begins, and teams are usually looking for extra ways for the kids to bond. We also end-loaded the trip with some vacation sort of stuff, so I decided it could be worthy of a report IF I took enough pics and video. While there will be some wordy sections (since nobody else is great for pics when I’m driving), there will still be a lot of visuals. Here are the details…

WHO- Me (Sandy), David, Kendall (K), and Sam
WHEN- June 25th-July 6th
WHAT:
June 25-July 2: Colorado

July 2-July 5: Rapid City, SD area for some unfinished business

July 5-July 6: College visits along the drive home

WHERE- TX, NM, OK, CO, WY, SD, NE, KS

APPROXIMATE DISTANCE:
4,500 miles
IMG_7729.jpeg

Note- the map is just the basic route and does not include all of the little day trips and side adventures.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 1 - The LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG Drive – aka: Never Trust the NAV and Did You Check Your Bra?
*Caution- lots of words ahead!

July 25th

Last year, when we played in Colorado, we left the house at 5am and stopped in Raton, New Mexico for the night after a visit to Capulin Volcano National Monument. This year, I wanted to skip the stop and overnight stay, and drive straight through along the same route. I figured we had enough time last year for the monument visit and still arrived at our hotel a couple of hours before dinner, so driving straight through shouldn’t be an issue. I got a little nervous about it along the way and decided to change our departure time for this year to 4am. I have to admit that I’m still pretty shocked that we were rolling out of the driveway right on schedule! I was also pleased to see that my mapping app was routing me through New Mexico (the prettier drive) and I wouldn’t have to do anything special…or so I thought.

We rolled out of the driveway on time and we were officially off on our adventure. I double-checked my mapping app and it had us routed through New Mexico, so all appeared to be good. The first few hours were completely uneventful. Traffic was so light that is actually routed us right through Dallas. It wasn't until we got to Quanah, TX (in between Wichita Falls and Amarillo) that things started to go sideways. The kids had been sleeping when the peace was disturbed by a crying Kendall. She wanted to know if it was possible for her AirPod to fall out of the car while driving. :eek: When we stopped for gas and snacks, we checked EVERYWHERE! She tried "Find My" and still nothing. We assured her that it would turn up, but that we had to move on. Yeah...she was not happy! She asked to drive, but she was waaaaaaay too emotional for me to trust her behind the wheel in an unfamiliar area.

When we arrived in Amarillo, it routed me to the loop as expected, but it had me turn ahead of my normal turn-off. I wasn't overly bothered because it still looked like we'd be taking the southwestern route and I'd be avoiding this canyon section I don't love driving. It wasn't until we hit the town of Dumas that I realized it had rerouted me onto the eastern route. It was too late to change course. We'd lose too much time. So, we just pushed on and accepted the fact that we wouldn't have all of the great scenery and would have to settle for lots of prairies and grasslands. Our new course took us through the Oklahoma panhandle, which is a short portion of the journey, and then into southeastern Colorado.

53001648015_a13f88a1e2_c.jpg

It's a good thing there were lots of pronghorn and prairie dogs on this route, because there was also a lot of construction. In fact, I'm shocked that it sent us this way. We had one portion of road maintenance that went down to 1 lane and led to a 30+ minute delay. At least K slept through most of it, because every time she woke up, it was something about those darn AirPods. She kept saying that I'd be angry if she lost something that expensive, but I kept insisting that there's no anger when I'm not having to pay for another pair. She made her next attempt to find them when we got onto I-70 in Limon, CO. I used it as a chance to change drivers so I could try to change our Rocky Mountain National Park entry time. The app gave me errors about rebooking as soon as the window opened (same thing happened last year) and I wasn't fast enough to book on David's phone, so we were stuck with what I'd previously booked. At least we could now see mountains in the distance through the haze.

53001473226_a099d04040_c.jpg

53001947698_2a6a59825a_c.jpg

While we had gained an hour when we crossed into Colorado and shifted to Mountain Time, we were pretty road weary. In light of that, it was a very pleasant surprise to hit absolutely ZERO traffic in the Denver area. Sure, it was now early Sunday evening, but no traffic is a blessing at any time. I guess that was good, because the hotel lobby and check in line were anything but quiet. Colorado is home to a couple of massive softball tournaments and related events that all take place around Independence Day, including some smaller showcase events, camps, and identifiers. So, just imagine the chaos of having around 2,000 softball teams as well as college coaches/scouts descend on the greater Denver area for a week. Our check in last year (different hotel) was a breeze, but this year, we showed up to a packed parking lot, a long line, and people waiting on management over a growing list of issues. They also were doing some construction renovations, which added to the chaos. Thankfully, our check in went smoothly and we were done in time to partake in the hotel’s “kick back.” Part of why we picked this place over going in on a house with other teammates was the food and drink situation. Yes, they have a full breakfast, which is now super common, but they also put out a dinner buffet spread, adults get three cocktails each night of their stay, and soft drinks are available all day, so I could easily grab a can of Diet Coke. Dinner tonight- pasta alfredo and grilled chicken. Each night, they also usually had hot dogs, nachos, and some kind of soup as well as popcorn in the lobby.

53001852480_fdb1f97955_c.jpg

We actually ate dinner before ever unloading the vehicle. It was just so nice to sit down and relax. We did eventually pry ourselves from our seats and unloaded the car. It doesn’t look like I took any room pics…which is SHOCKING, but it was a really nice sized room. You entered the living room area, which had a sofa that converted into a queen-sized bed. We also had enough room for a twin air mattress, so the girls didn’t have to share. Splitting the rooms was a large bar area with a hidden fridge and microwave. Across from that was a standard bathroom and then the main bedroom (with a king- yay for extra sleep space!!!) on the other side of this central hall/bar/bathroom space. While the girls’ area had no natural light, we had a lovely view of a nature trail and stream cutting between the various hotels. Of course, I didn’t photograph any of it this day and the one video I took focused primarily on what mountain/foothill areas I could see from the room.

Once we got everything unpacked, Kendall asked if we could check my car one more time for her missing AirPod. She was still having no luck and the vehicle was now totally emptied out, so hope was fading. We dug through the vehicle and still nothing. She was in a much better mental place in this moment, so I asked her something that I wanted to ask earlier, but knew I’d get a nasty attitude if I didn’t time this accordingly.

ME: Have you checked your bra?
KENDALL: MOTHER!!?!?!?!
ME: Hear me out and just humor me. Have you checked your bra?
KENDALL: Mom, I would have felt it if it were in there and I would have heard it beep.
ME: Just check, PLEEEEEAAAASSEE!
KENDALL: Fine. *giggle* OMG!!! It was in there!!!

So yea, K had her AirPod with her the ENTIRE time.

After this, we just cleaned up and relaxed for the night. David never got around to going out for extra drink fixings, but I brought a bottle of Kahlua premade mudslide. I thought he'd just have a little bit this night, but he's now a fan of the stuff. Softball stuff wouldn’t be starting until Tuesday and Sam decided to pass on a couple of camp offers for that Monday, so we’d just be using the day to acclimate to the altitude and enjoy. We had an 11am entry for Rocky Mountain, so we could even sleep in a little. Yeah…this looks relaxing!

53001124382_ea12f7648b_c.jpg

She's dressed more for winter, but I had turned the room A/C way down and it was significantly cooler than the triple-digit heat we'd left at home.

Before I went to sleep, I remembered that I could buy a day pass to the park (since you need that with the timed entry) on the Recreation.gov app. I didn’t want to pay for it until we knew for certain we’d be visiting, as it’s $30 (compared to the $2 for the timed entry) and there was no risk with waiting to purchase. At least it was easy enough to buy and add to my phone’s wallet for easy viewing and it would save us a few minutes at the park entry areas.

I promise there are more pics and things get more interesting! LOL

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
CHAPTER 1: June 26th- We’re Even! I owe you NOTHING! I’ve become a TOURON!

I honestly can’t recall what time we agreed upon for wake up/alarms, but I was up around 5am. Sure, some was the strange dreams I was having, but the sun rises early in these higher elevation areas. The room had decent blackout drapes, but my body picked up on the little bits of light coming through and I was suddenly wide awake! I was feeling a bit congested and wheezy, but figured it was tied to new area/new pollen. We all eventually got up, got ready, and hit the seating area for breakfast. I think 9:30 or 9:45 was our goal time to head to Estes Park and we got out as planned. Traffic was fairly heavy through Boulder, but it was smooth sailing after that. I was driving, so no pics until we stopped for gas and snacks…as well as our required run through the Mad Moose to check out cool merch and get a bathroom break. I did take this pic from the gas pump.

IMG_7736.jpeg

I sent them to my parents since they were just up in this area a couple of weeks before our trip. They froze up here and had a lot of snow/poor visibility. My dad was shocked to see how different it looked in such a short time span.

We got our snacks and headed to the Beaver Meadows area entrance. We were in line just before 11 and breezed through when we got to the front of the line. David was also now driving, so I could take all of the pics I wanted. We weren’t even a half mile in when I got my first magpie! Yeah, they’re all over, but I still love them.

IMG_7737.jpeg

Followed by a couple of mountain pics…

IMG_7738.jpeg

IMG_7739.jpeg

We had only been driving for a few minutes when we came upon a jam and were passed up by a park ranger. We were barely into the park, so I figured it was newbies seeing elk for the first time. Still, the crowds kept building, so we pulled up to some people and asked…and I’m so glad I did.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a mama moose and her calf that was quite literally frolicking in the creek cutting along the left side of the road. Now, if you’ve followed my previous trips, I have been trying to find a moose for Sam since our summer 2018 trip. We have gone all over Yellowstone (twice), Grand Teton once, Glacier in several spots, and this was our SIXTH time looking in Rocky Mountain. Back in 2019, K and I saw a mom and her calf in a failed (for Sam) divide and conquer moment, but for Sam…it’s been one big goose egg aside from moose tracks and poop…UNTIL NOW! Every trip, we’d say I owe her a moose. David had just barely come to a stop when Sam and I bolted out of the car with cameras and my backpack (photo gear). I’m going to share pics first before sharing my stupidity in the moment.

IMG_7740.jpeg

IMG_7741.jpeg

IMG_7742.jpeg

IMG_7743.jpeg

IMG_7744.jpeg

IMG_7745.jpeg

At some point, I noticed David and Kendall were with us. I figured he’d parked the car in a better place. I then turned and realized my vehicle was sitting along the side of the road, partially blocking traffic. It never occurred to me that my car key was in my backpack. David also doesn’t have access to my app to go keyless, so the car was pretty much sitting where it was when Sam and I jumped out. At the time when I was realizing all of this, I could hear the ranger loudly informing the crowd that the owner of the “purple” (it’s really burgundy) vehicle needs to move immediately. So, I left the camera and gear with Sam, David and K and bolted back to the vehicle to move to a better spot. So, while I still practiced proper safety with maintaining a good distance from the animals, I was a total touron with my vehicle. On the other hand…I no longer owe Sam ANYTHING! OK, at least when it comes to moose wishes!

I really do feel bad about the vehicle thing, but I genuinely forgot that David couldn’t move it into a safe spot. In my defense, moose history aside…K had just melted down about losing internet signal. She had the bright idea to work on a test for one of her dual enrollment college summer classes…right before driving into a national park. She knows better! …and people wonder why I worry about her.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
After the moose, we started to make our way up Trail Ridge Road. We stopped at the first lookout, before getting up into the tundra. I don’t think we’ve stopped at this one since 2019. It’s not the biggest wow in the park, but it’s a pretty view.

IMG_7750.jpeg

IMG_7749.jpeg

IMG_7752.jpeg

IMG_7751.jpeg

IMG_7753.jpeg

Getting back to the car would be a struggle for me. At first, I was feeling really good…like I could power walk for miles. Then my lungs felt like they were on fire and my legs felt like lead weights. I tend to be more susceptible to the changes in altitude, so I figured that was the culprit…even though I was still a wheezy mess. I eventually got back to the car and took a bit to rest and recover. We started driving up again and observed the typical summer snow melt.

IMG_7754.jpeg

IMG_7755.jpeg

Not the greatest photos, but I noticed that there were no brightly colored wildflowers along the road. We saw them last year, but I guess maybe the area warmed a little bit sooner last year.

We skipped a couple of the overlooks we visited last year and ventured up into the tundra.

IMG_7756.jpeg

The snowfield layers indicated heavier and more recent snow.

IMG_7757.jpeg

Some spots, from the right angles, could possibly pass for winter.

IMG_7758.jpeg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We stopped at two of our favorite overlook spots. The first is usually teeming with marmots, the second usually is great for bighorn sheep, marmots and pika. Both have an on top of the world feeling with spectacular views. The views didn’t disappoint and the weather conditions were perfect, but the only signs of wildlife were a couple of pika too quick to photograph. I even put my feet in the snow at one point.

IMG_7759.jpeg

IMG_7760.jpeg

IMG_7761.jpeg

IMG_7762.jpeg

IMG_7763.jpeg

IMG_7764.jpeg

IMG_7765.jpeg

We were starting to think that the marmot (which may actually be a Prairie dog) in Sam’s Rocky Mountain animal crackers would be our only marmot for the trip.

IMG_7766.jpeg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We kept driving on Trail Ridge Road and saw something we’ve never seen before… sort of. We’ve seen coyotes and thought we’d seen them in this park before, but we’ve never seen them in the upper altitudes, we’ve never seen one this healthy, and we’ve never seen one relieving itself. David kept insisting it was a fox, but it was too big and didn’t have a foxy face.

IMG_7775.jpeg

IMG_7776.jpeg

IMG_7780.jpeg

IMG_7778.jpeg

I chose not to take a picture of him squatting, but got a number of good pics afterwards. Sam even got some of him retreating across a snowfield. There were no cars around us, so we had lots of time to observe. It now also seems pretty certain that what we saw last year was a fox. No pics for comparison, but last year’s sighting was much smaller and the face/head was completely different. A friend shared a recent coyote pic from the park and while its coat was darker (maybe an altitude thing), they both looked clearly like coyotes.

We moved on and spotted our first cluster of elk as we drove.

IMG_7782.jpeg

We then stopped at an overlook that we haven’t visited in several years. I’ve always liked how the melt pools at the bottom.

IMG_7784.jpeg

IMG_7786.jpeg

We also spotted a number of elk on the far slope.

IMG_7792.jpeg

IMG_7790.jpeg

IMG_7788.jpeg

While I know it’s all pure luck, I had a couple of people tell me they drove the park and saw nothing. These guys look like boulders without magnification. I wonder if they saw elk and just didn’t know it.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
While we had no plans to eat there this time, we figured we’d stop at the Alpine Visitor Center, if we could find parking. That situation has greatly improved since they started with the entry pass system. As we were approaching, we saw several bull elk crossing the road after the entrance. David asked if I wanted to drive to see them, but we decided it wasn’t a major priority. I was really just hoping to spot some marmots. They often frequent this area.

A cyclist stopped for a nutrition break struck up a conversation and said we should take the quick hike to marmot point because there were a ton. While I appreciated her suggestion, I don’t always trust trail advice from someone who bikes up these extreme inclines for fun. When I later researched the trail, it was short but listed as moderately challenging due to the steep climb. Needless to say, we passed. My breathing just wasn’t up for it.

We did manage to spot a couple, but they never came out enough for decent pictures.

IMG_7804.jpeg

IMG_7805.jpeg

We moved on and saw that the bulls had to decided to rest in the area above us. So, we drove to a pullout on the other side. I was really hoping more for marmots, but all I got was an angle on the bulls and this bird.

IMG_7806.jpeg

IMG_7807.jpeg

IMG_7808.jpeg

IMG_7810.jpeg

IMG_7809.jpeg

While we’d already met our moose goal, we figured we’d drive to our favorite moose “hunting” area on the other side of the park.

IMG_7811.jpeg

IMG_7812.jpeg

It was a relatively uneventful drive, although I’d love to know what’s nesting here. This side of the park always had big nests, but the only thing we’ve seen in the area are osprey, and they seem to favor the lakeside areas just outside the park.

IMG_7813.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We kept driving on Trail Ridge Road and saw something we’ve never seen before… sort of. We’ve seen coyotes and thought we’d seen them in this park before, but we’ve never seen them in the upper altitudes, we’ve never seen one this healthy, and we’ve never seen one relieving itself. David kept insisting it was a fox, but it was too big and didn’t have a foxy face.
That was definitely a coyote you saw.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We were planning on the Coyote Valley (blue) trailhead just out of habit. It’s where we saw moose in 2019 and what we suspect was a muskrat (last year), and it’s supposedly a great area to see beaver. Unfortunately, the lot was full and there was no sign of anyone leaving, so we headed back up the road to the Bowen-Baker trailhead (red).

IMG_7840.jpeg

It’s just a little ways up the road and it’s still right on the Colorado River. Plus, we’ve never stopped here before, so it’s something a little new.

IMG_7822.jpeg

IMG_7823.jpeg

IMG_7824.jpeg

IMG_7825.jpeg

IMG_7826.jpeg

IMG_7827.jpeg

IMG_7828.jpeg

IMG_7829.jpeg

IMG_7832.jpeg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We followed the trail for a bit around the water and into the trees, but I get nervous hiking into these wooded sections. The last thing I want to do is surprise a moose in a wooded area. So we took some pics in some wide open spots.

IMG_7833.jpeg

IMG_7834.jpeg

IMG_7835.jpeg

We eventually went back to the trailhead area.

IMG_7836.jpeg

IMG_7837.jpeg

Sam even asked to be in one.

IMG_7838.jpeg

…but only one! Clearly I angered the teen!

IMG_7839.jpeg

Although, she might have also been bothered that I captured this on video. Hey, she didn’t fully wipe out and I stopped filming to help her.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It was time to get back in the car and head out. It really started to feel a bit repetitive, but I took some pics as we made our way back up.

IMG_7847.jpeg

IMG_7848.jpeg

IMG_7849.jpeg

IMG_7850.jpeg

IMG_7851.jpeg

I also captured some more evidence of the snow layers.

IMG_7852.jpeg

As we neared the top, the bulls were still in the same spot, so we decided to stop for some pics. Yeah…we’ve seen lots of elk, but we don’t have them at home, so we enjoyed them while we could.

IMG_7853.jpeg

IMG_7854.jpeg

IMG_7855.jpeg

IMG_7857.jpeg

In the same vein, I feel like I have so many driving videos in the park, but I felt compelled to take more. This is the first of three during our exit.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We followed the trail for a bit around the water and into the trees, but I get nervous hiking into these wooded sections. The last thing I want to do is surprise a moose in a wooded area. So we took some pics in some wide open spots.
Nice photos! It's always good to trust your instincts and hike where you feel more comfortable, giving a wide berth to animals in the area. (That aside, I think you might have been o.k. taking your first choice trail, only in the sense that moose don't get into rutting season until September. That's when they're most unpredictable, everyone needs to stay clear of them, if possible.)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Nice photos! It's always good to trust your instincts and hike where you feel more comfortable, giving a wide berth to animals in the area. (That aside, I think you might have been o.k. taking your first choice trail, only in the sense that moose don't get into rutting season until September. That's when they're most unpredictable, everyone needs to stay clear of them, if possible.)

The trails and offshoots in this section have portions with very little room for retreat or advance warning of a nearby animal, so it always feels like a gamble. We’ve never seen a bull, but we saw a mom and her baby in this area in 2019. I have to assume mom would get protective/defensive if we spooked her. We were at a decent distance with this one, but she just came out of a wooded section and immediately disappeared again, so it makes me nervous not being out in the open. My husband does not share my fear 😂

IMG_7859.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The trails and offshoots in this section have portions with very little room for retreat or advance warning of a nearby animal, so it always feels like a gamble. We’ve never seen a bull, but we saw a mom and her baby in this area in 2019. I have to assume mom would get protective/defensive if we spooked her. We were at a decent distance with this one, but she just came out of a wooded section and immediately disappeared again, so it makes me nervous not being out in the open. My husband does not share my fear 😂

View attachment 730214
They are very protective of their calves, and the calves stick very close to the mother. Usually, they'd all just retreat quickly if they see you (as you mentioned above). Hiking is fun, and there are many other trails around to select, that appeal to different people. The great thing is that the scenery is gorgeous, so you can't really go wrong with your choices. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom