Hollywood Studios Icon

heath.sneyd

While the Earful Tower is there, this graphic from MDX clearly shows that WDW presented as the "Icon" of HS.
PEP_PCWEB_Viggnettes_930x156_Hollywood_Studios.png

I'm looking forward to see what they change this to.

NormC

That graphic shows almost everything at DHS and does not "clearly" show any as an icon. The hat may be centered but that is all. I liked the hat but it was always in the wrong spot.

Sage of Time

This is just blatantly false. The earful tower hasn't been the "icon" for years now, the hat has. Just recently have we started seeing the tower being used again as the icon again.

The actual published material that Disney uses for the park says otherwise. Marketing has used a TON of stuff to brand the park, as seen in this thread, but my original statements are not false.

I stood outside awhile ago and denied it was cold. Did not change the thermometer one degree.
Is this supposed to be witty?

I'm not denying anything. Simply stating how Disney saw the three structures and their roles in their theme park. :)

epcotisbest

The Earful Tower is, and always has been, the park's icon, or symbol.

The return of the Chinese Theater is merely a return of a thematically appropriate 'weenie', as Walt Disney liked to call it, at the end of Hollywood Blvd. The 'weenie' is there to draw guests down the street.

The BAH was an attempt to 'brand' the park for 100YOM, nothing more and nothing less.

The actual published material that Disney uses for the park says otherwise. Marketing has used a TON of stuff to brand the park, as seen in this thread, but my original statements are not false.

Is this supposed to be witty?

I'm not denying anything. Simply stating how Disney saw the three structures and their roles in their theme park. :)

The hat is currently the DHS icon, regardless of your opinion. Just go to MDE and it is currently being used by Disney as the icon. Simple truth.

Sage of Time

The hat is one of several icons used for DHS.

Exactly this.
The hat is currently the DHS icon, regardless of your opinion. Just go to MDE and it is currently being used by Disney as the icon. Simple truth.

This is not my opinion. This is a recitation of how Disney acted when all three structures were built in 2001.

Since then, however, other branches of the company have diverged from this way of thinking and just slapped the hat on everything. There's a lot of stuff out there with the tower on it, too. MDE isn't the arbiter of how the imagineers intended the hat, tower, and theater to be used.

And really, that's that. I agree to disagree if you want to prolong this.

epcotisbest

Exactly this.

This is not my opinion. This is a recitation of how Disney acted when all three structures were built in 2001.

Since then, however, other branches of the company have diverged from this way of thinking and just slapped the hat on everything. There's a lot of stuff out there with the tower on it, too. MDE isn't the arbiter of how the imagineers intended the hat, tower, and theater to be used.

And really, that's that. I agree to disagree if you want to prolong this.
Nothing to prolong.

Arthur Wellesley

They've done it before, they can do it again. Make the Chinese Theater/GMR the park's icon. It's majestic, it's symbolic of what the park stands for, and it's a fitting centerpiece.

And for those who say the Chinese Theater should not be the park's icon because it isn't a Disney creation, I say this: How much of that entire park is actually based upon Disney creations?
Star Wars?
The Twilight Zone?
Aerosmith?
The Muppets?
Indiana Jones?
Toy Story?

The park is mostly a vast collection of IP's which Disney has either purchased, partnered with, or licensed with over the years. So why is it that important that the icon is something strictly out of the minds of WDI? The Chinese Theater is a magnificent representation of the park's theme of entertainment. It worked before...it can work yet again.

Last edited:

samosaurus

A brochure with these was given out at the AAA travel conference in Orlando awhile back, just a few days before the announcement about the hat...
WDW brochure icons.jpg
WDW brochure map.jpg

As you can see, the first page shows Tower of Terror as the icon, whereas the map page shows the Tower of Terror, Earful Tower, and Chinese Theater.

Last edited:

cheezbat

Always hated the hat. Thought the Theatre was a perfect icon, even though the Earful Tower was always on everything. Personally, if they want to use the Earful Tower again, that thing either needs to be relocated, a new one built in a better location, or open up that part of the park for better views and pics of that thing. Where it is now, you only see it from the highway.

Sage of Time

Really hope they put something back in the nose spot so the hidden Mickey is restored.
They've done it before, they can do it again. Make the Chinese Theater/GMR the park's icon. It's majestic, it's symbolic of what the park stands for, and it's a fitting centerpiece.

And for those who say the Chinese Theater should not be the park's icon because it isn't a Disney creation, I say this: How much of that entire park is actually based upon Disney creations?
Star Wars?
The Twilight Zone?
Aerosmith?
The Muppets?
Indiana Jones?
Toy Story?

The park is mostly a vast collection of IP's which Disney has either purchased, partnered with, or licensed with over the years. So why is it that important that the icon is something strictly out of the minds of WDI? The Chinese Theater is a magnificent representation of the park's theme of entertainment. It worked before...it can work yet again.
I honestly would love to see the theater be both icon and weenie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom