HM King Charles' Coronation

Brian

Original Poster
Royal watchers and Commonwealth Realm subjects alike: HM King Charles is due to be crowned Friday, 5/5. As an American myself, I'm not too sure what the true public sentiment is like, but I suppose regardless that this is a rather momentous occasion, given HM the Queen's incredible and lengthy reign.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Royal watchers and Commonwealth Realm subjects alike: HM King Charles is due to be crowned Friday, 5/5. As an American myself, I'm not too sure what the true public sentiment is like, but I suppose regardless that this is a rather momentous occasion, given HM the Queen's incredible and lengthy reign.
I'm not British or (North)American, but I'll be watching The Coronation of King Charles III (at 3am local time, mind you!). It's an historic event, besides nobody does pomp and circumstance better than the British. I'm sure it's going to be grand.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
monty python whatever GIF

Goofyernmost

You didn't want a king ...
Well, that is true, even though it's starting to look like a goal here. It seems like an expensive tradition, but I can understand why, at this point at least, it is all part of identity and pride. However to go for Camilla when he had Diana seems like a serious lapse in judgement that I wouldn't have made. ;) :)

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Well, that is true, even though it's starting to look like a goal here. It seems like an expensive tradition, but I can understand why, at this point at least, it is all part of identity and pride. However to go for Camilla when he had Diana seems like a serious lapse in judgement that I wouldn't have made. ;) :)
Camilla was his first choice. The institution arranged the Dianna marriage.

Brian

Original Poster
The BBC made it a point to highlight all the anti-monarchists out in the streets of London today, though they seemed vastly outnumbered when compared to those who came out to support.

To the British members: is the sentiment generally pro or anti monarchy these days?

LittleBuford

The BBC made it a point to highlight all the anti-monarchists out in the streets of London today, though they seemed vastly outnumbered when compared to those who came out to support.

To the British members: is the sentiment generally pro or anti monarchy these days?
Polling consistently shows that over 60% of Britons support the monarchy as an institution. I personally don’t know anyone who would favour a republic, though that doesn’t mean we’re all royalists as such—many of us recognise what the system we’ve inherited offers us and are content to retain it until it fizzles out (which I’ve no doubt it will).

Alarmingly, the police preemptively arrested dozens of republican (in the British sense) protestors before the coronation. It was a very heavyhanded, draconian, and antidemocratic move, and they are rightly receiving a lot of criticism for it.

jaklgreen

That was not my point.. I knew that, however, Diana was hot! 🙂 But, he wasn't the first Royal to follow his heart. I guess relationships are hard enough without having to have the approval of a group of Royals.
If he truly followed his heart, he would have abdicated and chose to marry Camilla, not bring an innocent teenager into the mix and make a fool of her.

Goofyernmost

If he truly followed his heart, he would have abdicated and chose to marry Camilla, not bring an innocent teenager into the mix and make a fool of her.
At the time wasn't Camilla already married? I'm not sure of the timeline because frankly I really didn't and really still don't care that much. That system just seems grossly expensive and really, other than some type of regal showmanship, has no affect on the happenings of government at all.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That was not my point.. I knew that, however, Diana was hot! 🙂 But, he wasn't the first Royal to follow his heart. I guess relationships are hard enough without having to have the approval of a group of Royals.

I mean, she could have used new teeth, by todays beauty standards, but Camilla was really pretty too when she was younger.

IMG_8275.jpegIMG_8274.jpeg

jaklgreen

At the time wasn't Camilla already married? I'm not sure of the timeline because frankly I really didn't and really still don't care that much. That system just seems grossly expensive and really, other than some type of regal showmanship, has no affect on the happenings of government at all.
Yes, she was married with kids but was carrying on with Charles. She got divorced a year or so before Charles and Diana. Both of them were cheating, quite openly on their spouses. Yes, they system was old fashioned but I am saying that they had a choice to do the RIGHT thing, for Charles to never marry Diana and for her to just divorce her husband and they could have live quiet lives. But they wanted it all, which makes them even more disgusting.

LittleBuford

Even if you have no interest in royalty, the anointing is worth watching for the music alone. Handel composed "Zadok the Priest" for the coronation of George II in 1727, and it has been performed at every British coronation since. It is a truly incredible piece of music that makes a stirring soundtrack to one the most significant moments of the ceremony:

Lyrics:

Zadok the priest
And Nathan the prophet
Anointed Solomon king
And all the people
Rejoiced, rejoiced, rejoiced and said
God save the king
Long live the king
God save the king
May the king live forever
Amen, amen, alleluia, alleluia, amen, amen

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom