HKDL Small World pics!

Skippy_

Original Poster
I don't know if this has been posted before but HKDL has released pics showing off their version of IASW, which concentrated more on asian culture and has scenes specifically built for the new characters. Link to the pictures are below:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/

I don't remember a western scene or underwater scene. What country does the underwater scene represent?

It would really suck if Disney took out our rainforest scene and replaced it with an american scene but HKDL gets to keep the rainforest scene.

We'll just have to see how this turns out but it look like they're catering to the characters.

PeoplemoverTTA

Thanks for the link!

I think that most of the dolls look pretty good (except Stitch...he really didn't fit in, IMO).

Too bad I can't afford to check out the attraction and park in person!

urbanvegan

I really don't think it's so bad. Rather cute, actually - especially Stitch.

It makes sense in keeping with the initiative to get Chinese audiences more familiar with the Disney characters that enjoy ubiquity with North American audiences.

Looks great!

TheBeatles

I think the characters detract from the small world brand and feel.

although, disney characters are overwhelmingly popular in asian countries.

daliseurat

The dolls that still look like SMALL WORLD dolls with a character costume are okay, I guess. But anything that doesn't have that same look, LIKE STITCH is going to really be out a place. I'd rather they didn't do this update, but it seems like they are at least going forward with the characters. If it blows up in their face they can always take them out. But if they destroy the rainforest to put in a tacky USA bit, the backlash will be severe.

I think it's adorable. It's not a change I'd want to see in the other IASW but I think it's neat that they did something slightly different with it for Hong Kong, it kind of makes it their own and not a carbon copy of all the others.

imagineer boy

Eh, I don't like the characters in there. It just doesn't fit. Everything else seemed fine though. At least they didn't take the cheap route like they did with virtually everything else in that darn park.

Thiger

I think its brand-tastic!
They're kinda cute actually.
Kids will definitely love them.
Don't worry, we'll always have youtube (to watch non re-imagineered rides)

dolbyman

darn ...so I was one week late .. was there last sunday .. only got some pics of the exterior behind some plywood wall :mad:

smallworld2.jpg

smallworld3.jpg

Fun2BFree

oh well, who needs story and theming anyway? (sarcasm)

Please explain how a handful of IASW-style Disney characters completely ruins the story and/or theme of the attraction.

I think it's quite tastefully done... although from the pictures it seems that much of the ride is Asia... although this might not be the case in actuality.

WaltsApprentice

I have noticed though that Because Back in the day Disney and the mouse was banned from china...they haven't had that local connection with the mouse I think thats why they make so much importance on characters. Even on the website they have areas that show pictures of the characters and gives a little bio of them. They did this for the halloween party...they gave bios for each nightmare before x-mas character...is it because the normal population of the contury has never seen them?? Maybe thats why they are adding the characters into this ride to bring them more into the parks. They were orginally going to do this to WDW..there are pins release that prove this.

Brian_WDW74

With the exception of Stitch, and possibly Woody and Jesse, I think the characters fit in rather well. I mean, nobody's mentioned that it's Lilo on the surfboard with Stitch. She blends right in with the other Hawaiian dolls and doesn't stand out at all.

daliseurat

Please explain how a handful of IASW-style Disney characters completely ruins the story and/or theme of the attraction.

I think it's quite tastefully done... although from the pictures it seems that much of the ride is Asia... although this might not be the case in actuality.

I don't think it COMPLETELY ruins it. I don't really CARE about the dolls that blend in and will be just something neat to notice. But, any character that sticks out and draws my attention away from the country will detract. I guess we'll all see for sure when they actually open it. I'm sure some folks will totally dig it. Some of us cranky old sticks in the mud won't just because we, we, well we just won't let ourselves.:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom