Hitchhiking Ghosts at Disneyland getting the MK treatment?

BasiltheBatLord

They should've taken the dialogue out of context and only rid of the bride auction aspect. I've seen people propose solutions that take this approach already. Would've been less costly, and the scene would still be funny and not a snore.
Yep, it would've at least been funny if they kept the pirates chanting "We wants the redhead!" as a response to the lame new auction dialogue. But they couldn't even have left that.

yensidtlaw1969

I *might* be ok if the new HHG effect is somewhere between the old and the new. If the screens were set back at the same depth as the current figures, and they did not do the silly cartoonish guest interactions, that might look ok.

Though one issue with the MK projections is sightlines and angles. With physical figures, the reflections always lined up to the viewer not just in your car but for the cars on either side of you too. So if you're in a group and looking in the mirror at the reflection of adjacent friends, you saw what they saw in a realistic 3D manner.

But however they implemented the projected effects in MK, once you get off-center the effects no longer seem to line up properly. I'm not sure if that's a result of the angles of a flat 2D effect in a 3D world, or if it's because of how they implemented the effect (isn't it Musion/reflected image?)

If they can work out the viewing angle issue *and* tone down the cartooishness, I might be ok.

Did DL ever get the upgraded "moving" sound system in the stretching rooms? That was a solid upgrade in MK's Mansion.

-Rob

I believe the WDW Hitchhiker effect is just a projection on a flat surface set back behind the mirrors, I don't think Musion factors into it. You're right that it suffers from feeling like a 2D effect (mainly because it is one). Personally I find it doesn't even "work" from straight on, but the effect definitely reveals its flatness the second you look at anyone else's Hitchhiking Ghost.

I agree that two major hurdles are the viewing angle and the cartoonishness - why on earth do the digital Hitchhikers look so barely like their animatronic counterparts?? That part should be easy enough to overcome with new digital assets.

It's been 13 years since the WDW effect went in, and the team responsible for that iteration is no longer with WDI, so I suspect the new team will want to improve the effect for the DL show in whatever ways possible. Presumably the tech has evolved in that time. It should be the bare minimum that this version improves over the existing counterpart.

That said, the legacy HHG effect is as handsome as the day it was created, so it really is a shame to lose it for any reason.

Avastindy

I would hate if the MK effects really did show up here at Disneyland’s HM.

Now I don’t know if anyone brought this up, if they did bring this tech to the HHG, would they do something for when HMH shows up for the holidays?

yensidtlaw1969

I would hate if the MK effects really did show up here at Disneyland’s HM.

Now I don’t know if anyone brought this up, if they did bring this tech to the HHG, would they do something for when HMH shows up for the holidays?
Technically, if the WDW HHG effects come to DL they will debut with the Holiday, since the ride will be opening with the overlay intact after the refurb instead of the classic Mansion. We'd have to wait until Jan/Feb 2025 to see their new version of the traditional Hitchhikers.

Mickey's Pal

Have we been worried about the wrong thing? This is from MC's article yesterday...

• Haunting new magic and improved infrastructure: The attraction’s extended closure is due in part to much-needed behind-the-scenes work. We’re hearing that a major refurbishment to the attraction’s huge graveyard and other scenes is on the way and will address some critical infrastructure work to the 55-year-old attraction. While no major show changes are expected in the graveyard, you can expect the scene to look brand new when it reopens with all animatronics refurbished, new scrims, and refreshed special effects. But there’s even more magic that could be on the way… and it might follow you home! It’s possible that the beloved hitchhiking ghosts could be getting a major refresh that will bring a technology update to the ride’s iconic finale and keep you hurrying back for more!

Major bummer if true.
No!!! Nooooo! Leave that cgi cartoony garbage in Florida!!!!! The ending is fine in Anaheim!!!!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
No!!! Nooooo! Leave that cgi cartoony garbage in Florida!!!!! The ending is fine in Anaheim!!!!
I liked the idea but the execution was terrible. I'd be OK with it going to Anaheim if it were updated to somehow strike the right balance but they'd have to tone down the zany cartoon antics and improve the CGI. But that's really only a best case scenario and with the stipulation that the update go to Orlando as well.

But yeah, DL's ending is fine.

Now if they can just work on Constance.

zipadee999

Yep, it would've at least been funny if they kept the pirates chanting "We wants the redhead!" as a response to the lame new auction dialogue. But they couldn't even have left that.
I’m a big fan of the old scene and would’ve done anything for it to be saved, but they could’ve kept more of the original dialogue and set design and still gotten rid of the bride auction aspect if they really wanted to.

They could’ve kept the original redhead figure and simply added a large keg of ale in her hand. That way they could add a potential second interpretation of ‘we wants the redhead!’ They could’ve found a way to keep the line.

Or they could’ve had the auctioneer trying to sell off boring supplies and stuff with the pirates still far more interested in Redd than what the auctioneer is actually selling.

I like the Paris version’s firearms auction. It gets rid of the auction which WDI wanted away with (even though I disagree) while still being edgier and more ‘piratey’ than selling off barn animals. That version could even still get away with saying ‘We wants the redhead’

I know I’m off topic but geez am I passionate about pirates!

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

The obvious solution is to have the male pirates boorishly pester "We wants the redhead!," to which the redhead responds by shooting in their general direction, stunning them into silence as the redhead confidently says, "In your dreams, bilge-rats!"

The redhead gets to be tough and believable as a pirate. The male pirates get to be actual pirates and not Boy Scouts. The audience gets to enjoy the classic "We wants the redhead" line. Everybody wins.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The obvious solution is to have the male pirates boorishly pester "We wants the redhead!," to which the redhead responds by shooting in their general direction, stunning them into silence as the redhead confidently says, "In your dreams, bilge-rats!"

The redhead gets to be tough and believable as a pirate. The male pirates get to be actual pirates and not Boy Scouts. The audience gets to enjoy the classic "We wants the redhead" line. Everybody wins.

This would be much better. What was wrong with DLP’s solution. They kept the old redhead but removed the auction. Not sure about the dialogue.

zipadee999

That’s the best idea I’ve heard, it rids Disney of a scene they wanted to get rid of while still keeping the feel of the attraction! The new scene just feels out of place in tone with the rest of the ride. You go from an epic ship battle with cannon fire, to a man being drowned in a well, to a bunch of pirates politely auctioning off farming equipment. It just doesn’t work! Your version keeps the edgy pirate tone and alters the scene just enough to keep it tasteful.

Does anyone know what’s actually said in the Paris version?

duncedoof

That's better, but I would never want to lose Paul Frees.

yensidtlaw1969

I liked the idea but the execution was terrible. I'd be OK with it going to Anaheim if it were updated to somehow strike the right balance but they'd have to tone down the zany cartoon antics and improve the CGI. But that's really only a best case scenario and with the stipulation that the update go to Orlando as well.

But yeah, DL's ending is fine.

Now if they can just work on Constance.

Re: The Bolded - Can't guarantee, so don't get your hopes up, but I've heard this may be possible.

It would certainly be well past time. Constance hasn't looked good in years. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Keep in mind, we likely wouldn't see for sure until 2025, but I suspect more conclusive word one way or the other will be out before then.

duncedoof

Re: The Bolded - Can't guarantee, so don't get your hopes up, but I've heard this may be possible.

It would certainly be well past time. Constance hasn't looked good in years. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Keep in mind, we likely wouldn't see for sure until 2025, but I suspect more conclusive word one way or the other will be out before then.
Aw yeah, that's where the money should be going. She's been upstaged by Hattie since 2015.

Weird that they didn't give reworking this scene a go in Florida first, and work their Hattie into that scene instead.

yensidtlaw1969

Aw yeah, that's where the money should be going. She's been upstaged by Hattie since 2015.

Weird that they didn't give reworking this scene a go in Florida first, and work their Hattie into that scene instead.

Hattie's placement in WDW is based around a very complex set of circumstances.

I believe WDW is currently happy with their version of Constance, which, in fairness, does look better than the DL counterpart (though I think she is an unimpressive effect in both incarnations).

Constance at DL had issues in design and installation that were never properly resolved, and being tossed around by the Holiday every year doesn't help. WDW got a refined version of what DL ultimately ended up with, but even that version is still not what they had initially intended.

Given that DL doesn't like to close the Mansion any more than they already have to for the Holiday changeovers, I would expect that they know this is their chance to make more substantial changes to the ride. The ride will likely not have a similar opportunity for another 20 years.

Which, again, does not necessarily mean they *will* do anything to address Constance during this closure, but if they don't do it now then that ship is probably sailing.

yensidtlaw1969

Can you elaborate at all on this? I had heard vague “structural issues” as a possible reason which never made sense to me considering WDW’s Mansion is newer than DL’s.
Only kinda - there are many ways in which DL’s Mansion is structurally and infrastructurally different from WDW’s.

I’ve been asked not to share publicly, but truthfully some of the reasons themselves speak to their own need for protection - if I told you you’d tell me I shouldn’t have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom