"high five!" a 1st trip to DLR pre-TR

I am finally making this happen...we are making our first venture cross-country to Mr. Walt Disney's personal playground!! After many years of visiting WDW, we felt it was time to pay homage to the place that started it all...DISNEYLAND!

Before this trip could be realized, we had to "debate" the 5 W's:
-"Who" would be going?
-"When" would we be going?
-"Where" would be staying and flying out of/into?
-"What" passes would we need?
-"Why" another trip to another Disney theme park?

Aaaaand, here are the answers:

WHO: We decided to make this an extended family event, and since we had such a good experience during our last big Ohana trip to WDW in Oct./Nov. 2012, we asked the same group to travel with us. This makes 6 adults & 3 children...2 in-laws, 3 cousins, and our family-of-four!

DSC_0291 by journ116, on Flickr
(L to R: cousin, FIL, MIL, DD3-Eliza, DD7-Chloe, DH-Joel, cousin, cousin, me-Sara)

WHEN: This part was highly debated. My DH wanted to go this fall, his cousins' wife would've preferred June 2014 (when school lets out), and I suggested anytime between Jan.-April 2014. The deciding factors were availability of our resort & school breaks. We decided on:
Feb. 8-15, 2014
(the week before President's Day & over Valentine's Day...crossing my fingers and toes that it won't be too busy)

WHERE: Considering we're DVC members, we were desperately hoping for a 2-bedroom at the Grand Californian Villas...and we got our request! Between the convenience of this resort to DCA and its theming, we feel that we've hit the jackpot!
As for flight, we have officially agreed upon flying with SWA out of BWI and into SNA. I started a thread in the "Disneyland" forum and received excellent input from several members' experiences.

WHAT: This one is still under debate: 4-day PH vs. 5-day vs. 5-day PH? I had read that weekdays are less busy, but "the shows" and extended park hours are available weekends only. What to do? what to do?

WHY: C'mon now, who wouldn't want to make at least one visit to the "original?" And let's face it, we're "Disney addicts."

As my plans progress, so will this thread...only 200 days to go!

PolynesianPrincess

YAY, can't wait to read all about it! We're going to be making our first trip out west to visit the park that started it all in 2014, either end of April / early May or mid-November, we haven't decided yet. I'm excited to see how you like it!

Missy_May

I would definitely recommend the park hopper. Disneyland is the park we go to most often, only hitting Disney World every few years. The parks are SO close together that hopping is no big deal. We have hopped between the parks multiple times in a single day. We almost consider DCA and DL one park and never go without the hopper add on.

TheMouseFan

So jealous that you get to go!! Can't wait to hear more about your plans as the trip gets closer and then read the TR when you return! Have fun!

journ116

Original Poster
YAY, can't wait to read all about it! We're going to be making our first trip out west to visit the park that started it all in 2014, either end of April / early May or mid-November, we haven't decided yet. I'm excited to see how you like it!
I cannot wait to write a DLR TR! There's not too many on this forum, and when there are, I've got them read before the poster can finish typing;)!
And, how exciting for your trip out west?! I've enjoyed reading your TR's, so I'll be looking forward to hear how your DLR experience went!

journ116

Original Poster
I would definitely recommend the park hopper. Disneyland is the park we go to most often, only hitting Disney World every few years. The parks are SO close together that hopping is no big deal. We have hopped between the parks multiple times in a single day. We almost consider DCA and DL one park and never go without the hopper add on.
I've read that recommendation before, about park hopping...that the two parks are ridiculously close and jumping from one park to the other is extremely easy.
Now that park hopping has been decided on (at least for my family-of-four), how many days would you recommend: 4 or 5? Honestly, the price difference is only $15, so I might just splurge and buy the 5-day PH, even if we only use it for 4 1/2 days we'll at least have the option!

journ116

Original Poster
So jealous that you get to go!! Can't wait to hear more about your plans as the trip gets closer and then read the TR when you return! Have fun!
Aren't you going sometime next year as well? I could've sworn that I read that in one of your postings?

Our plans are kind of at a stand still right now...I have an idea of what I'd like to book/reserve, but planning a trip out to DLR is a bit different than a trip to WDW. As you know, WDW plans can really start to take shape 180 days out from your arrival...DLR only has a 30-60 day window...sooo, I'm going a bit bananas with the research, because that's all I can do at this point to pass the time!

Next up on my "to-do" list: flight. I'm watching airfares like a hawk.

Other than that: dining, grocery order, stroller rental, airport transportation, and tickets (which could be purchased now, but we're waiting until December or January 2014...unless of course there's an impending price increase:confused:). All of that 'stuff,' can and will have to wait!

journ116

Original Poster
Ohhh I love Disneyland TRs! I went 8 years ago for the 50th!! I cannot wait to hear all about it!!!
I love DLR TR's as well! They are few and far between, but well read! Even fewer, DL Paris and Tokyo!

If my math is correct, we will be visiting a few months shy of DL's 59th birthday? That's OK, because we'll be there over Valentine's Day (a 'holiday' which my family really doesn't participate in oddly enough...but, I have some plans brewing for 'Disney's Valentine's Day!').

I know my trip is a ways a way, but thanks for the vote of confidence in my TR!!:D

TheMouseFan

Aren't you going sometime next year as well? I could've sworn that I read that in one of your postings?

Our plans are kind of at a stand still right now...I have an idea of what I'd like to book/reserve, but planning a trip out to DLR is a bit different than a trip to WDW. As you know, WDW plans can really start to take shape 180 days out from your arrival...DLR only has a 30-60 day window...sooo, I'm going a bit bananas with the research, because that's all I can do at this point to pass the time!

Next up on my "to-do" list: flight. I'm watching airfares like a hawk.

Other than that: dining, grocery order, stroller rental, airport transportation, and tickets (which could be purchased now, but we're waiting until December or January 2014...unless of course there's an impending price increase:confused:). All of that 'stuff,' can and will have to wait!
Sadly, no! But we are going on a cruise and back to WDW next June! Hopefully, the next trip after that will be DLR!!

journ116

Original Poster
Sadly, no! But we are going on a cruise and back to WDW next June! Hopefully, the next trip after that will be DLR!!
Ooooh, a cruise! That's our possible plan for the trip after DL! a land and sea deal (and now I remember your pre-TR). Cannot wait to read all about your excursions!

Missy_May

I've read that recommendation before, about park hopping...that the two parks are ridiculously close and jumping from one park to the other is extremely easy.
Now that park hopping has been decided on (at least for my family-of-four), how many days would you recommend: 4 or 5? Honestly, the price difference is only $15, so I might just splurge and buy the 5-day PH, even if we only use it for 4 1/2 days we'll at least have the option!
We are able to do everything we want to do in 3 1/2 days, but my kids are little and we go during some of the slowest times in January.

journ116

Original Poster
My DD's will be almost 8 y.o. & 4 y.o. at the time we're traveling. We are also going the week before President's Day, so I am hoping that it will be a bit slower...but from what I understand, we'll need to bring the ponchos to throw over our coats?o_O

Missy_May

My DD's will be almost 8 y.o. & 4 y.o. at the time we're traveling. We are also going the week before President's Day, so I am hoping that it will be a bit slower...but from what I understand, we'll need to bring the ponchos to throw over our coats?o_O
Make sure you check the forecast before you go. This is us January 2012:

P1090067 - Version 2
by m_lucky7, on Flickr

This is us January 2013:

Untitled
by m_lucky7, on Flickr

Same week and everything. The weather in 2012 was very warm. We only needed light jackets morning and evening. 2013 was FREEZING! Also, the precipitation levels for February are only slightly higher than those in January and over the past three Januaries we have never been rained on.

journ116

Original Poster
Make sure you check the forecast before you go. This is us January 2012:

P1090067 - Version 2
by m_lucky7, on Flickr

This is us January 2013:

Untitled
by m_lucky7, on Flickr

Same week and everything. The weather in 2012 was very warm. We only needed light jackets morning and evening. 2013 was FREEZING! Also, the precipitation levels for February are only slightly higher than those in January and over the past three Januaries we have never been rained on.
Thank you! thank you! thank you! This is extremely helpful info!! I will keep an eye on the weather like a hawk!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom