Hey Ap'ers, how does it feel to know you are a contingency plan?

The Colonel

changing the annual pass structure
increasing black out dates
massive price increases
takings APs off the market
dubbing us legacy guests
complaining about the guest mix- preferring the once in a lifetime guest
now referring to us as a contingency

and let's not forget that the svelte CFO also called us fatties

it's a cumulative reaction

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Are people really offended that Disney is stating one thing they can do to respond to a hypothetical decrease in demand is introducing a type of discounted entry?
That, and they're also offended that Disney has expressed a preference for selling undiscounted entry over discounted entry.

CaptainAmerica

We all know what it means.
Obviously not.

complaining about the guest mix- preferring the once in a lifetime guest
Explaining financial variances in a financial presentation is not "complaining."

If I sold 10 apples for $1.00 each and 20 bananas for $0.50 each last quarter, I had $20.00 of revenue. If this quarter I sell 5 apples for $1.10 each and 26 bananas for $0.55 each, I had $19.80 of revenue.

I have to explain the $0.20 decrease. I must. That's my job as the CFO. Volume went up, from 30 fruit sold to 31 fruit sold. Pricing went up too... I raised the prices of apples and bananas by 10% each. If volume is up, and pricing is up, then how could my revenue go down? Because my mix was unfavorable. I sold more of the cheaper thing and less of the more expensive thing.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

This reminds me of that stretch during the pandemic where nurses and teachers were battling it out to determine who could be the most obnoxious group of people on the Internet. Disney APs are right up there.
Please do not label all APs by the actions of one. Thats prejudice.

I am happy to wear the obnoxious title for the rest. ;)

And please do not pick on nurses and teachers.

Feel free to pick on their unions though ;)

The Colonel

Obviously not.

Explaining financial variances in a financial presentation is not "complaining."

If I sold 10 apples for $1.00 each and 20 bananas for $0.50 each last quarter, I had $20.00 of revenue. If this quarter I sell 5 apples for $1.10 each and 26 bananas for $0.55 each, I had $19.80 of revenue.

I have to explain the $0.20 decrease. I must. That's my job as the CFO. Volume went up, from 30 fruit sold to 31 fruit sold. Pricing went up too... I raised the prices of apples and bananas by 10% each. If volume is up, and pricing is up, then how could my revenue go down? Because my mix was unfavorable. I sold more of the cheaper thing and less of the more expensive thing.
complaining about the guest mix was Chapek in a previous interview. As I said the reaction is cumulative.

EeyoreFan#24

Maybe the words are a little off target for PR, but a corporate CFOs job is to guide the business to manage their money. Any business without a continuity plan before COVID was just ignorant, after COVID, just down right reckless.

Remember a balance, in theory there’s other people who’s job is to guide the business with customer relations, products, experiences, etc. regardless of financial factors, but we don’t get to hear from them as much as we should - at least I think.

Disstevefan1

Ooooh will there be a magnet?!?!
Here you go!
CPH2_magnet2.jpg

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I get that you’re not smart enough for this conversation so I’ll explain it to you pretty simply.

Yes.

Now go back to your coloring books and crayons
I humbly suggest that if you are upset by that suggestion, you might be the one who would feel better going back to colouring books and crayons.

If you see the offer of a sale or special offer either online or out there in the real world, probably also best to turn away.

Crunchie9

Disney CFO Christine McCarthy said that the company has contingency plans if the country enters a recession and they need to boost numbers. She said that they can offer discounts on hotels, the reservation system can be adjusted (meaning let even more people in) and finally that they could restart sales of annual passes.

If this isn't a huge slap in the face to their most loyal fans then i don't know what is.

"we don't want you in the parks because you don't fit our guest spending profile, but if our numbers are hurting, we will let the peasants back in"

WTH happened to this management group? They only care about profit, not people.

Well if the stock is any indication, they have screwed up on both fronts.

What a disgrace this company is right now
Depression. We’ve been in a recession for 1.5 years.

Casper Gutman

Protip: If you're not a financial professional, stop listening to earnings calls. You don't understand what you're hearing.
Protip: If you’re the most prominent entertainment company in the world with a huge fan base that analyses your every word, assume non-financial professionals will be listening to your earnings call and adjust accordingly.

JoeCamel

Protip: If you’re the most prominent entertainment company in the world with a huge fan base that analyses your every word, assume non-financial professionals will be listening to your earnings call and adjust accordingly.
No the call is for investors and does not need to be dumbed down to lowest possible level.
If you are not a surgeon stay out of the operating room you don't need to know how the meat is cut but if you want to then educate yourself so that you can understand

TrainsOfDisney

No the call is for investors and does not need to be dumbed down to lowest possible level.
If you are not a surgeon stay out of the operating room you don't need to know how the meat is cut
The call is for the public or it wouldn’t be available to the public. The idea that “investors” are special people is silly anyways. There’s teenagers trading stocks online with great success.

JoeCamel

The call is for the public or it wouldn’t be available to the public. The idea that “investors” are special people is silly anyways. There’s teenagers trading stocks online with great success.
If you are going to invest your money educate yourself or it is just gambling. If you cannot do that get a pro who does.

Sir_Cliff

I understand what you're saying, but I do think it is a little unreasonable to expect that they can't say on an investor call that they have contingency plans for a recession such as reintroducing Annual Passes because it might be upsetting to some people. The attempt at humour about reducing portion sizes helping guests to control their waistlines was probably a bit much, but I don't think this kind of thing is unreasonable for this setting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom