Here's YOUR Sign!!! Best Guest Question EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

v_misses_epcot

Original Poster
Seriously, it made our day! While working Tipboard with a few others, we got approached by a guest while Illumintions was going off.

She proceeded to ask:

"Where are those fireworks coming from?"
"Are they here at EPCOT?"

My friend tipping with me tried so hard not to explode and just pointed to the fireworks when she asked that.

She then proceeded to say:

"I know they're over there, but where are they coming from?"

:brick:

Thank you for making our xmas eve so special! :lol:

CelticRose

I wonder did she even realize that World Showcase was beyond Future World, Some People's Children:brick:

134 Days and I am there:sohappy:

Mystic

I don't think it's funny. When I was at Epcot a number of weeks ago, my mom and I helped a couple that were trying to find their way to the Italian Pavilion (We were near the Lights of Winter and the Christmas tree). We gave them directions and pointed it out across the World Showcase lagoon. They didn't realize that what they saw across the water was still a part of Epcot.

Maybe it was this lady's first trip to Epcot and she didn't realize it was more than just Future World.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You`d think if she (or anyone) forked out the high price of admission they`d know what they`re paying for. And those little bits of paper other guests have - that were available free to everyone at the entrance - amazingly would tell her what was where.

Some people....

(the same people who didn`t read warning signs then complained they got scared on a certain attraction)

Mister Toad

Ha Ha Ha

Laughing at people on vacation. Nice.

You know what's funnier than that? The fact that the people who come spend their vacations in Disney World probably make 3-5 X the money that the people who WORK THERE do!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Yeah, laugh at us as we come to visit. Sure. But who's the dope? The one there on vacation or the one working there for $10 an hour?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

When I'm at work, I treat everyone with dignity and class that they deserve.... the janitor that cleans my office (oh yeah, my office isn't a hotdog cart, either), all the way to the CEO.

Pathetic.

mowens5

"Yeah, laugh at us as we come to visit. Sure. But who's the dope? The one there on vacation or the one working there for $10 an hour?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

When I'm at work, I treat everyone with dignity and class that they deserve.... the janitor that cleans my office (oh yeah, my office isn't a hotdog cart, either), all the way to the CEO.

Pathetic."

Please remember that the people that started the thread were visiting as well. Also remember that if it was not for those who make $10 an hour you would not have a place to visit.

Also some of us who work at Disney, myself included, work another job, I teach, and wiork there because we LOVE disney. So do not assume that just because our office is as you say a hot dog cart, we are any less caring or treat people in a different way. I am sure that everyone at one time in their lives has left work, church, or walked down the street and said can you believe they just asked. . .

Everyone is human and NO ONE is perfect. If you go back they did not say it to the guest and are just sharing now.

Its comments like this that make some people just read the forums and not want to post because they may be rediculed. Please be reminded that some people work a $10 a hour job not for the money but for happiness, and without those workers you would not be enjoying that hot dog or the parks.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Please remember that the people that started the thread were visiting as well. Also remember that if it was not for those who make $10 an hour you would not have a place to visit.

Also some of us who work at Disney, myself included, work another job, I teach, and wiork there because we LOVE disney. So do not assume that just because our office is as you say a hot dog cart, we are any less caring or treat people in a different way. I am sure that everyone at one time in their lives has left work, church, or walked down the street and said can you believe they just asked. . .

Everyone is human and NO ONE is perfect. If you go back they did not say it to the guest and are just sharing now.

Its comments like this that make some people just read the forums and not want to post because they may be rediculed. Please be reminded that some people work a $10 a hour job not for the money but for happiness, and without those workers you would not be enjoying that hot dog or the parks.

It sounded to me like the person who started the thread works there. Didn't they say they were, "working the tipboard"?

Also, it kind of sounded to me like the response the guest got from the cast member was one that could be interpreted as somewhat sarcastic. If I asked someone where the fireworks were coming from and the only response I got was someone simply pointing at the fireworks, I'd be annoyed.

Doesn't Disney Traditions training address the issue of so-called "stupid questions" from guests? Maybe it doesn't anymore, and that's why so many cast members have the attitude that they have about "stupid questions". But I remember the famous "stupid question" was "What time does the 3 o'clock parade start?" Most people hearing that question would likely think the person asking it was a complete idiot. But when you look at the question more deeply, you realize that while the 3 o'clock parade may, in fact, start at 3 o'clock in one part of the park, it will take several minutes before it reaches another location. Cast members are taught this (or at least, used to be taught this) during Traditions training. I sometimes think many cast members these days miss the point of it though.

Mister Toad

Fair Enough, and point taken, but people like that totally enrage me. Places like DW are confusing to new visitors at times. On the contrary, I have a lot of people who call me a "loser" because WDW is the only place I've ever taken my family for vacation since 1994 (I average 2 trips per year).

I remember once when I arrived at the Amsterdam (Holland) Central Station from the Schipol Airport. I got out of the station, and since I don't know Dutch, showed a taxi driver the address to the hotel I was booked at. He started trying to explain something to me and was pointing, but I didn't understand (anyone who has been to Europe, especially Holland, can attest that things aren't clearly marked, especially in Dutch.)

Anyhow, he shakes his head, starts the taxi, and drives me.... ACROSS THE STREET!!!! How stupid is that? I figured out what he meant.... But.... instead of laughing at me, he helped me with my bag and refused my attempts to pay him. I think he said "Welcome to Holland" in Dutch, but I don't know.

THAT GUY (the Taxi Driver) is what I expect when I go to WDW, but more and more often it seems like idiots like v_misses_epcot are there.

Oh well.

SteveUK

Laughing at people on vacation. Nice.

You know what's funnier than that? The fact that the people who come spend their vacations in Disney World probably make 3-5 X the money that the people who WORK THERE do!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Yeah, laugh at us as we come to visit. Sure. But who's the dope? The one there on vacation or the one working there for $10 an hour?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Pathetic.

I find your comments more offensive and patronising than the original post to which you took issue.

Your comments about making 3-5 times the amount, and $10 per hour and unneccessary, unwarranted and just plain rude. To call somebody a 'dope', for not earning as much money as a guest is a disgraceful attitude.

I do not believe money, job or socio-economic status in any way determines how good, intelligent or worthy of respect a person is. I work with all sections of society each day, and I have met homeless, unemployed and very unfortunate people who are far better people than a large proportion of guests I have met walking around WDW.

Mister Toad

I find your comments more offensive and patronising than the original post to which you took issue.

Your comments about making 3-5 times the amount, and $10 per hour and unneccessary, unwarranted and just plain rude. To call somebody a 'dope', for not earning as much money as a guest is a disgraceful attitude.

I do not believe money, job or socio-economic status in any way determines how good, intelligent or worthy of respect a person is. I work with all sections of society each day, and I have met homeless, unemployed and very unfortunate people who are far better people than a large proportion of guests I have met walking around WDW.

:kiss:

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Fair Enough, and point taken, but people like that totally enrage me. Places like DW are confusing to new visitors at times. On the contrary, I have a lot of people who call me a "loser" because WDW is the only place I've ever taken my family for vacation since 1994 (I average 2 trips per year).

I remember once when I arrived at the Amsterdam (Holland) Central Station from the Schipol Airport. I got out of the station, and since I don't know Dutch, showed a taxi driver the address to the hotel I was booked at. He started trying to explain something to me and was pointing, but I didn't understand (anyone who has been to Europe, especially Holland, can attest that things aren't clearly marked, especially in Dutch.)

Anyhow, he shakes his head, starts the taxi, and drives me.... ACROSS THE STREET!!!! How stupid is that? I figured out what he meant.... Anyhow, instead of laughing at me, he helped me with my bag and refused my attempts to pay him. I think he said "Welcome to Holland" in Dutch, but I don't know.

THAT GUY (the Taxi Driver) is what I expect when I go to WDW, but more and more often it seems like idiots like v_misses_epcot are there.

Oh well.

:sohappy: This was a great example of the type of service we should be able to expect from Disney cast members, but its more and more a rarity when we actually do get it. Someone posted earlier that people who shell out the kind of money they do on the high admission prices should take the time to know the layout of the place a little better. Funny how that would be someone's mentality..."You paid all that money to get into our park....now you're on your own. If you bug us with a dumb question, we're going to give you a sarcastic answer and then make fun of you after you walk away." Its no wonder Disney's reputation for outstanding service has begun to diminish in the last several years.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended

You make a good point, but I can understand what Mister Toad meant with his post. The attitude you sometimes get from many Disney cast members these day is one of arrogance and "superiority". You are right, though, that the amount of money a person makes, or the type of job they perform, is not indictative of the kind of person they are.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...Funny how that would be someone's mentality..."You paid all that money to get into our park....now you're on your own..
No - you misread my post. If I pay a lot of money for something, I make sure I know what I`m paying for - be it a theme park ticket, a car, or an albeit expensive tin of beans.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
No - you misread my post. If I pay a lot of money for something, I make sure I know what I`m paying for - be it a theme park ticket, a car, or an albeit expensive tin of beans.

How did I misread your post? I understand that if YOU pay a lot of money for something then you want to know as much as you can about it beforehand. I'm actually the same way, and I believe that only enhances the experience of visiting a place. But that doesn't mean everyone should think that way, and your post made it sound like you think they all should. Everyone is different in how they like to experience a vacation. Some people like to plan it all out and do in depth research, while others love to just "wing it" and let everything come as a surprise. It's not the place of Disney cast members to judge how guests should enjoy their vacation. It IS the place of Disney cast members to courteously answer questions from guests.

I don't think she intended to be rude to the guest. Sometimes when working with the public you have just had enough. It is not possible for every person to provide perfect guest service at all times.

I have been working at Bath and Body Works this holiday season. On Christmas Eve about 20 min before we closed a woman called and asked one of my employees to go out of our store and ask for Santa's phone number. She said that she was missing her youngest childs first picture with Santa. Now at this time we had a line half way through our store, the credit card computers were down meaning that we had to call in every credit card for a manual approval number, and our store was a disaster--I knew it was so bad that it would take us several hours before we would be able to leave. As the manager on duty it was my responsibility to decide if I should take the time away from my busy store to help this woman out. At first I said no..that I couldn't leave the store, but then I decided to make this woman's day--i left the chaos for a moment to get her the phone number. I didn't need to do this for her, but in the interest of making her day I did.

On the other hand does it make me a completely rude and awful person if I get a little chuckle about the people who walk into our store ask if we sell bubble bath or the ones who come into the front of our store (which had 4 tables of giftsets) and ask if we have any premade gifts?!?!

The reality is that we aren't always going to be at the top of our game, and anyone who claims to be perfect towards all of their customers and coworkers all the time is just lying! Everyone has an off day at some point! I'm sure that it has been a long holiday season for the Disney cast members...just as it has been for me....we all need a little release at some point to make it through our day.:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom