here's an interesting disscussion, How long would Walt have lived...

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
If he didn't smoke? As we all proboly know, Walt smoked like a chimney. During his time, people didn't know the dangers of smoking and I had noticed that alot of the people who knew Walt are still alive today so I often wondered if he hadn't smoked, how much longer do you think he would've lived? I wager that he proboly would've made it to the early to mid 80s at least. What do you think?

Scar Junior

Well, that's assuming he didn't get hit by a bus or something... You never know what would have happened. He could have even died from cancer eventually (without smoking being a factor).

GenerationX

Walt would've survived a long time. Ultimately, though, he would've had a heart attack on the day an Imagineer came into his office and said,

"Ho-ho, have I got an idea! Stay with me on this, Mr. Disney, you're going to love it. You know the Animal Kingdom? Spectacular park. Outstanding. We're going to put it in the stratosphere. Here's my idea - we put a bunch of carnival rides and games right in the middle! What do you think? Brilliant, huh? ... Mr. Disney? Are you okay, sir?"

[thud]

Windy.Mind

Rotfl :lol: :lol: :lol:
Walt would've survived a long time. Ultimately, though, he would've had a heart attack on the day an Imagineer came into his office and said,

"Ho-ho, have I got an idea! Stay with me on this, Mr. Disney, you're going to love it. You know the Animal Kingdom? Spectacular park. Outstanding. We're going to put it in the stratosphere. Here's my idea - we put a bunch of carnival rides and games right in the middle! What do you think? Brilliant, huh? ... Mr. Disney? Are you okay, sir?"

[thud]

ctwhalerman

I read something about Disney having problem with an old polo injury, and coupled with his workaholic ways, would have probably cut him short even if he didn't smoke. I'm guessing he would have died in the mid-70s.

SteveUK

If anybody here ever finds a way to predict life expectancy with any accuracy you will be worth billions. The medical industry will love you!

PencilTest

Rudimentary math time! Okay, so this took a little digging (and now I feel kinda gross), but here's what I found out about the Disney family lifespan.

Walt's immediate family - 11 people that I could find (2 parents, 4 siblings, 2 daughters, 1 wife, 1 nephew, plus 1 Walt to keep things semi-accurate). Average life span of those 11 people, including the ones who are still alive (Roy E. and Diane) = 79.06 years (give or take a few tenths). Add that to Walt's birthdate of December 5, 1901 and my guess is:

December 15, 1980. Oooh, weird!​

Now, this is taking into consideration his mother (who died of unnatural causes), his wife (who he wasn't related to - um, let's hope), and his daughter Sharon (who was adopted). So needless to say, my math's a little fuzzy. But I think it's close. And close counts in hand-grenades, so that's saying somethin'.

Oh yeah, and here's one more thing. The average life expectancy of the typical person born in 1901? 49 years. So Walt actually outlived the average guy in his age group by a good 17 years.

350ceo

No matter when he died it still would have been too soon :(

to add a twist to the discussion. taking current cancer treatments back in time, how much more time could doctors have afforded Walt? or was the cancer so far advanced by the time it was discovered not even current medicine could have done much but offer more comfort?

PencilTest

That's hard to say. If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't even one tumor, it was multiple tumors. Enough that required the removal of one of his lungs. So that's pretty far advanced. But cancer therapy has come a long way, so if they had the treatment options we have now (and they had caught it sooner) they may've been able to do something about it.

Disneyfan2000

Even if he did live till the late 70's i wonder if Walt Disney World would be diffrent what do you think? Espically EPCOT . because the imagineers even said after his death they really didnt know how to build this dream

sbkline

If Walt hadn't smoked, he may have been killed in a plane crash at age 70. He may have died in a car wreck at 72. He may have been murdered at 73. He may have had an anneurism at 75. He may have had a stroke at 77.

No one is guaranteed tommorrow, and there are a thousand different things that can claim your life, regardless of how healthy you live. My Mom didn't smoke and was very healthy,and died from a car wreck several months ago. So know one knows how long Walt might have lived if he didn't smoke. Many non smokers die at a pretty early age, and I have seen people up in their 70's and 80's puffing on the ol' cancer sticks. Just another one of those unfair aspects of life, I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom