Here's A Thread That Won't Last Long...

BuddyThomas

We can hope, but, yesterday I responded to one of those Facebook things where they gather information, allegedly from your posts and determine things about you. This one was when you are going to die. I read through it and all my "friends" were getting 90 to 101 years old. Mine came up 67. The bad part is that in 4 more months I will no longer be 67. I would have been 68 if I hadn't read that damn post. Curse you Facebook, you have ruined my life (or what little is apparently left of it).
Don't you know that 67 (or 68) is the new 57 (or 58)? Look at all the people who are there with you:
Susan Sarandon
Phylicia Rashad
Olivia Newton John
Sigourney Weaver
Samuel L. Jackson
Richard Gere
Vera Wang
Cher (69)
Bette Midler (70) - and she is playing Dolly in Hello Dolly on Broadway next year (!!)
Debbie Harry (70)
Rod Stewart
Tom Selleck
Michael Douglas
Mia Farrow
Mick Jagger (72)
Paul Simon (72)
Carole King (74)
Donald Drumph - yes - I went there - (69 years old)
Bernie Sanders (74 years old!)
Hillary Clinton (69 years old!)
Charlotte Rampling (70)
Christopher Plummer (86!!!!!)
Julie Andrews (80!!)
Bill O'Reilly (66)
Chris Matthews (70)
Ennio Morricone (recent Oscar winner for Best Score ) - 87!!

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on, but I think you are fine, and all of the above people are still active members of society, as are you. So try not to stress about age, which really is just a number.

;)

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Don't you know that 67 (or 68) is the new 57 (or 58)? Look at all the people who are there with you:
Susan Sarandon
Phylicia Rashad
Olivia Newton John
Sigourney Weaver
Samuel L. Jackson
Richard Gere
Vera Wang
Cher (69)
Bette Midler (70) - and she is playing Dolly in Hello Dolly on Broadway next year (!!)
Debbie Harry (70)
Rod Stewart
Tom Selleck
Michael Douglas
Mia Farrow
Mick Jagger (72)
Paul Simon (72)
Carole King (74)
Donald Drumph - yes - I went there - (69 years old)
Bernie Sanders (74 years old!)
Hillary Clinton (69 years old!)
Charlotte Rampling (70)
Christopher Plummer (86!!!!!)
Julie Andrews (80!!)
Bill O'Reilly (66)
Chris Matthews (70)
Ennio Morricone (recent Oscar winner for Best Score ) - 87!!

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on, but I think you are fine, and all of the above people are still active members of society, as are you. So try not to stress about age, which really is just a number.

;)
You don't have to convince me, but, alas, Facebook has spoken so, in the slightly altered words of Timon... I'm doomed! Too bad to cause I had such big plans. Oh, well, someone else will have to save the world.

trr1

We can hope, but, yesterday I responded to one of those Facebook things where they gather information, allegedly from your posts and determine things about you. This one was when you are going to die. I read through it and all my "friends" were getting 90 to 101 years old. Mine came up 67. The bad part is that in 4 more months I will no longer be 67. I would have been 68 if I hadn't read that damn post. Curse you Facebook, you have ruined my life (or what little is apparently left of it).
maybe they forgot to put a 1 in front of the age they gave you

The Mom

Premium Member
Several years ago, after dealing with the death of both parents within a few years, I ordered a publication called "Before I Go, You Should Know" published by the Funeral Consumers Alliance. Their website is www.funerals.org. It is in a blue plastic folder, which can be kept in the freezer or refrigerator. There is a magnet to put on the door alerting anyone who comes in the home.

It has a checklist of things that have to be done, your wishes concerning your remains, service, etc. You can add or delete things as you go. It has a space for all sorts of people who aren't family but would need to know, such as hairdresser (cancel any appointments) heating oil company, etc. They really have a place for everything - where do you keep old income tax returns, credit cards, debts - and debts owed to you, if any! I don't think it was more than $10, if that.

Sounds morbid, but people do more planning and research on their next car, which can be sold or traded, than they do something that is just as personal as marriage or birth. It takes away all of the arguments over what someone would or would not want done - it even covers the different types of life support, and what do the medical terms really mean.

Tony the Tigger

We recently had a family member pass away, and although we knew he had made preparations and had been sick for a long time, no one could find the paperwork for weeks. It was not in any of the obvious places to check. So don't forget to impart that little bit of information!

We were just talking about getting all our wills and so forth done as well. It's on the agenda, sooner rather than later.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
I have done up a 3 page instruction guide that spells out where everything is, details about them and where to find all that information. Last week I bought a burial lot in a local cemetery that practically demands that I live at least two more years because I financed it, interest free for that time. :greedy::happy:

Basically, I am done with it now. I have priced the cost of burial and created a separate account with that money in it. So, one more briefing of the girls and I am done with speaking about it again. It took up a month of my time and was kind of depressing to do, but, I knew that it had to be done and now it is.:):hungover:

Because misery loves company, I urge everyone to take care of this to save the people that you love from a high stress situation at what is probably the worst possible time. I know that now that the initial realization that I am likely to die at some point is over... I feel a lot better.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have done up a 3 page instruction guide that spells out where everything is, details about them and where to find all that information. Last week I bought a burial lot in a local cemetery that practically demands that I live at least two more years because I financed it, interest free for that time. :greedy::happy:

Basically, I am done with it now. I have priced the cost of burial and created a separate account with that money in it. So, one more briefing of the girls and I am done with speaking about it again. It took up a month of my time and was kind of depressing to do, but, I knew that it had to be done and now it is.:):hungover:

Because misery loves company, I urge everyone to take care of this to save the people that you love from a high stress situation at what is probably the worst possible time. I know that now that the initial realization that I am likely to die at some point is over... I feel a lot better.

Again very commendable that you have done this for your girls. It will make this part of losing you a lot easier for them. I do hope that they get to enjoy your company for many, many more years!

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Just for morbid fun, I am giving life saving, albeit things we don't want to think about a chance to revive and ask if people have made the effort to get this unpleasantry taken care of. Seven years has past and in a few days I will have reached 75 years of fun times. I noticed that at least one of the participants (Nemo) has passed. As I age, I'm glad that I don't have to try and plan that kind of stuff anymore. It is all paid for and set up. I do, indeed think about my mortality a lot more than I did seven years ago and have taken to wondering if there will be a tomorrow. Not fear it, just wonder. I've had a number of mobility problems set in over those years as well as having a pacemaker installed just to make me immortal. My ex passed in April of 2016, shortly after I posted this thread. Trying my best to remain, as the Bee Gees once sang "stayin' alive! Most all of you are much younger then I am and I hope you all are doing well.

Tony the Tigger

Just for morbid fun, I am giving life saving, albeit things we don't want to think about a chance to revive and ask if people have made the effort to get this unpleasantry taken care of. Seven years has past and in a few days I will have reached 75 years of fun times. I noticed that at least one of the participants (Nemo) has passed. As I age, I'm glad that I don't have to try and plan that kind of stuff anymore. It is all paid for and set up. I do, indeed think about my mortality a lot more than I did seven years ago and have taken to wondering if there will be a tomorrow. Not fear it, just wonder. I've had a number of mobility problems set in over those years as well as having a pacemaker installed just to make me immortal. My ex passed in April of 2016, shortly after I posted this thread. Trying my best to remain, as the Bee Gees once sang "stayin' alive! Most all of you are much younger then I am and I hope you all are doing well.
Much like Sam in the Katiebug thread, I have done nothing. (It’s really unforgivably stupid.)

And just got a call from a friend my age this morning. I was a groomsman in his wedding several years back. (Might even be in a TR here.) His wife just passed from cancer yesterday.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
I commend you for what you are doing and am thankful its not due to something imminent.
To be completely honest, at the time that I did all this I was keeping a secret. I had been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. The doctors and I both decided at the time that we should not take any major action other than monitor it for the time being. It was considered to be a slow growing type. Monitor it we do, every six months I have a PSA test and for a while had occasional biopsies done and one MRI. At this point almost 8 years later the numbers are up only slightly but as long as the rest of my health stays stable they see no reason to be overly concerned. Of course, at the time we didn't know that. I have been lucky and have since told them about the Cancer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom