Here come the mermaids

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Depends on the mermaid. Those from Peter Pan or The Little Mermaid (of age, of course), alright. Those from Pirates 4? No thanks. Dealing with the hazards of NextGen are plenty without worrying about being pulled under the water and eaten. I only want just so much immersion.
They would only eat the people using flash photography and Brazilians. :D

Sped2424

They would only eat the people using flash photography and Brazilians. :D
lol I noticed everyone dislikes brazilians at the parks I have yet to encounter the menace maybe they are going to add interactive elements to the boats? or theme them like the black pearl like djlaosc said I would be okay with either

Sped2424

We'll get Disney's top geneticists right on that.
Be careful what you wish for..

pirates_mermaid.jpg

Rum Pirate

What would be the point of changing the boats?? They work just fine and as far as I could tell when I road it 5 times last week, none were in bad condition. I don't even understand them adding the interactive queue considering the wait time is usually pretty short but I guess it makes a bit more sense than wasting money on something that really really really is not needed.

Well as far as the first point in the statement, not getting into that, but keep an eye out, as far as the second, part get the idea of Mansion and Thunder type queue out of current thinking......something a bit more creative

The Duck

Well as far as the first point in the statement, not getting into that, but keep an eye out, as far as the second, part get the idea of Mansion and Thunder type queue out of current thinking......something a bit more creative
The plot thickens... I vote that the guests in the queue will be able to fire the Wicked Wench's cannons at the boats via closed circuit cameras.

bubbles1812

I still see it as pointless unless the boats really do need more support because of heavier guests. Otherwise it seems like a spectacular waste of money. Why won't you "get into that"?

Also, the "I know something and you don't but I won't say" is annoying and also see as pointless. Just say it. Vague statements that even I could make dont do much for your credibility in my book. Sorry.

And I never expected a Haunted Mansion type queue. It's not like there is a whole lot of room the way there was at Mansion (another attraction that didnt need an interactive queue). They getting CGI crabs like mermaid and an AA Jack the monkey rather than a scuttle? ... *shrug*

flynnibus

Premium Member
sounds like he's inferring interactive elements in the boats themselves... sound maybe? localized effects?

Given they can't usually fully load boats now.. I'd think they be pretty constrained on how much they can add to the boats without having to further cut capacity.

Rum Pirate

I still see it as pointless unless the boats really do need more support because of heavier guests. Otherwise it seems like a spectacular waste of money. Why won't you "get into that"?

Also, the "I know something and you don't but I won't say" is annoying and also see as pointless. Just say it. Vague statements that even I could make dont do much for your credibility in my book. Sorry.

And I never expected a Haunted Mansion type queue. It's not like there is a whole lot of room the way there was at Mansion (another attraction that didnt need an interactive queue). They getting CGI crabs like mermaid and an AA Jack the monkey rather than a scuttle? ... *shrug*

My credibility stands for itself, there are things I can say and, and things that I will not and can not, because you cant infer, a very simple (perhaps a lil bit cryptic) post as to "watch the boats" do I really need to spoon feed you? New Boats are on the river, I have made it very clear from the beginning. when I'm able to say something I do! Lee and others know my credibility, if you have any questions about my level of respect, I advise you do consult with them, as for me, I stand by my statements. Now back to counting the Hats on the hat pirate................

ExtinctJenn

My credibility stands for itself, there are things I can say and, and things that I will not and can not, because you cant infer, a very simple (perhaps a lil bit cryptic) post as to "watch the boats" do I really need to spoon feed you? New Boats are on the river, I have made it very clear from the beginning. when I'm able to say something I do! Lee and others know my credibility, if you have any questions about my level of respect, I advise you do consult with them, as for me, I stand by my statements. Now back to counting the Hats on the hat pirate................
I think the idea was not to say something that basically can be read as "I know something you don't know. I know something you don't know. Neener neener neeeeener." :D LOL!

GrumpyFan

Interesting that they're getting new boats. Are these a change in design, or just replacement?

Also, I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but I noticed that Disney filed a patent application for method(s) of water projection. So, even though it's in place now, there may be additional changes to come, based on the patent.

from Patent Application 8328367 - System and method for projecting onto an upper surface of a body of water
A projection system for projecting light such as images or content upon a liquid surface such as a lake or pool surface. The system includes an agitation assembly selectively operable to agitate a portion of the upper surface of liquid to form a projection screen. The system includes a projector assembly projecting or focusing light onto the projection screen on the upper surface of the liquid. The liquid is translucent to light, but the projection screen on the upper surface reflects a portion of the projected light due to the agitation. The agitation assembly may include an aeration system with a distribution manifold and is positioned below the liquid surface and has outlets discharging gas into the liquid such that air bubbles for the screen. The manifold outlets may be provided at two or more depths, whereby two or more portions of the projection screen are generated at differing times.

bubbles1812

I think the idea was not to say something that basically can be read as "I know something you don't know. I know something you don't know. Neener neener neeeeener." :D LOL!
Yep... Watch the boats. Ok I can follow that just fine. Regarding the boats, I was just asking why the change... If he can say there is a change, why can't he elaborate on why.

But super vague statements about the new queue that don't provide any new information, are pointless. Everything he said I could have guessed. I was never expecting a Haunted Mansion type queue. There simply isn't the room.

@Rum Pirate it wasnt a question of credibility. It was a question of providing no information beyond a vague nothing that doesn't mean much other than saying you know something we don't. Clearly you got offended but you misinterpreted what I always saying. *shrug*

Goofyernmost

I think the mermaid skeleton looks excellent. Obviously it's pretty tough to tell how the projections look
I have seen both and although I am a bit puzzled as to why there is a Mermaid skeleton, it's been there for quite a while now. At least a couple of years I think. I only ride it once a trip and I know I have seen it at least twice, maybe three times. I have seen the Mermaid projection just once and frankly I thought it was pretty well done. It is distorted, but, if you were looking at something that is underwater and you are not, it would be distorted. So it was done well, in my opinion, but, apparently there are technical issues or maybe not enough people even noticed it to make the effect worthwhile.

To those about to say... Well, it should be working, Walt would roll in his grave, etc., remember that an effect that isn't seen is worthless. This one seemed to be way to subtle for the non-Disney obsessed to either see or even know existed. Without knowing where to look, it is nearly impossible to just accidentally notice it.

Goofyernmost

I think the mermaid additions are pretty cool, the skeleton especially. I always wondered what killed the pirates on the beach & refused to believe it was the crabs. Haha.

However, is it just me not hearing it or have they completely done away with the "Dead men tell no tales!" line through that scene? If they have to replace it with music, I'd much rather have that classic line back.
I would think that those swords that are running through their bodies would be a good clue as to what killed them.

Goofyernmost

The skeletal mermaid appears to have been tied by her wrists to the bow of the rowboat and left to starve.
Also, it's not as obvious as everyone seems to think. It was only on my second ride last Friday that I noticed that that particular skeleton didn't have femurs.
So, you are pretty sure that a fictional being, like a mermaid, would have a femur? Isn't that carrying a desire for accuracy just a little too far, since there is no possible way to know what would be accurate?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom