Help with teenage sister?

kleo!

Original Poster
Hello! My sister is 12 years old and just doesn't seem to be excited about Disney World like I am and it's a total downer. I know she's in the puberty stage but I've just been trying so hard to get her to be excited and nothing has worked. I'm absolutely pumped but this just sucks. I don't want her to be dragging her feet around Disney and creating a terrible time for us. Do any parents or people of siblings have any tips? Thank you.

IMFearless

My advice would be:

Find out if there is anything she is worried about, either about the trip or generally, often older kids/tween's have misconceptions about the specifics of what is going to happen, when and why. Often kids that age worry about silly things like sharing a hotel room, or getting dressed with family around etc.

I would also be realistic about time, as to a preteen several months seems much further in the future than it does for an adult, they tend to live in the moment much more and what is happening this week is more on their minds.

What does she enjoy doing usually? Does she have any particular interests or hobbies? I honestly think there is something at Disney for everyone.

Also, just because she is not seeming excited does not mean that she secretly isn't, most kids will loosen up and enjoy WDW once they get there.

kleo!

Original Poster
My advice would be:

Find out if there is anything she is worried about, either about the trip or generally, often older kids/tween's have misconceptions about the specifics of what is going to happen, when and why. Often kids that age worry about silly things like sharing a hotel room, or getting dressed with family around etc.

I would also be realistic about time, as to a preteen several months seems much further in the future than it does for an adult, they tend to live in the moment much more and what is happening this week is more on their minds.

What does she enjoy doing usually? Does she have any particular interests or hobbies? I honestly think there is something at Disney for everyone.

Also, just because she is not seeming excited does not mean that she secretly isn't, most kids will loosen up and enjoy WDW once they get there.
Thank you so so much. This really helps. She just tells me she wants to stay home and play on the computer all day instead of go to Disney. Only time will tell at this point. But, thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Thank you so so much. This really helps. She just tells me she wants to stay home and play on the computer all day instead of go to Disney. Only time will tell at this point. But, thank you so much. I really appreciate it!
My 12 yo son does the same thing but has a blast once we get out doing other stuff. Don't try too hard. Just let the parents set the expectation of going then once there I'm sure things will be great.

IMFearless

If she's into computers why not think about some of the interactive games, Magic Kingdom has one called Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom which I know little about but it is basically an interactive treasure hunt.

If she's on social media she could live blog her vacation, one video a day.

I'm sure she'll have a blast once she gets there in any case.

Hope you have a great trip!

kleo!

Original Poster
A huge thank you to the both of you. This really helps me feel better about the whole situation. My father and I just want her to enjoy it! And I'm sure she will. Thank you so so much. I can't wait!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom