Help With Solo Day Park Hopping

WhitBit

Hi all!

In the beginning of December I will be going to Orlando with some friends. On Monday December 5th we will be going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and on Tuesday December 6th we will be going to Magic Kingdom together. For our Magic Kingdom day, we plan to spend the whole day in the one park. That leads me to Day 3, Wednesday December 7th. My friend is really thinking she wants a second day at Harry Potter, while I would like to explore some more of Disney World. I am considering splitting up on that day and just doing Disney solo. It sounds a bit scary, but I feel like I can't just go to one park. This will be my first ever trip to Disney World, although I have been to Disneyland.

So for my solo day I'm really wanting to hop between parks, and could use some tips and advice. I really want to explore Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. On the day of my visit, Discovery Kingdom is only open until 5pm, and Hollywood Studios is open until 7pm. So I am thinking I should start the day in Discovery Kingdom and hit all the attactions I want to see, and then head over to Hollywood Studios and stay until they close at 7. Then, because Magic Kingdom closes at 10pm that night, I was thinking I'd hop over there to see the fireworks and spend the last few hours there. Magic Kingdom closes at 7pm on the day I'm going with my friends, so it'll be nice to go back to enjoy the late hours.

So basically I would like some advice on how doable this is. I will be alone, so I'm assuming that will save me some time, both on lines for rides as well as not having to decide with the group where to go next. I'll be able to go from place to place at my own speed. I'm also wondering what your opinion is on my plan to do the parks in that order, and looking for any tips to help make the transition between them as smooth as possible. I really don't know how the transportation between parks works...I think I read that you can take a bus at the entrances? How long does this process take?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

WhitBit

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, sorry I meant Animal Kingdom. I mis-wrote it because of Six Flags "Discovery Kingdom" here in California.

To be honest, I'm a bit nervous and intimidated about going alone, but also excited. I worry that the experience won't be as special without having people to "share the magic" with. But with my group wanting to do other things, and the fact that they don't do any rollercoasters or thrill rides, I really think it'll be worth it to be brave and go alone. I really don't want to miss out on those other parks.

Upvote 0

Greg H

Sounds like a pretty great day to me! Depending on what you hope to do in each park, it sounds pretty manageable. I don't think there are any extra magic hours at AK or HS that day so much of the crowd will likely go to MK (they have extra magic hours that night). We have found AK the best in the morning, especially for the animals (e.g., early morning safari). We usually see what we want to see there in a half day. Having said that, it is always a possibility they may have their new night show, Rivers of Light, up by then... I would say you could also see a lot of HS in a half day. They have a lot of starwars stuff going on and they have two excellent nighttime shows. You may have to pick one though (Fantasmic versus starwars fireworks) as seeing both in one night would be difficult with the timing of these shows. Both are pretty awesome. As a side note, you might want to consider checking out Epcot on your MK day (after MK closes at 7, Epcot will be open). You could check out some of the special holiday stuff there and also Illuminations. If you are staying on resort, I believe they have extra magic hours that night until 11:30. Have fun!

Upvote 0

WhitBit

Original Poster
If your friends don't do any roller coasters or thrill rides, they're not going to need much more than two hours at Wizarding World of Harry Potter, let alone two days. They do realize it's not an entire Harry Potter theme park, right?

Yes they are aware of this, haha. It's one friend and her husband I will be going with. The husband is not super interested in HP, but my friend is a different story. She has gone once before, and spent 3 days in the Harry Potter part of the park. She has no interest in the rest of Universal Studios. She's happy to spend the full days walking around and taking it all in...taking pictures, eating at the Leaky Cauldron and shopping. I love Harry Potter like you wouldn't believe, but I need to *do* stuff. I can easily see myself spending one full day with the HP stuff, but I'm interested in riding all the rides. That's why I'd rather go off on my own for a day if she's set in stone on a second day there.

Upvote 0

WhitBit

Original Poster
Ok, well my plans have changed a little bit, but I think it's for the better! And even if I end up going alone one day, I'm starting to get really excited about it! The thing that makes the planning a bit tricky is that my friend does not even know I'm coming. Her husband and I are planning it as a surprise to where I meet them at the hotel and knock on her door. My friend and I have actually NEVER met face to face before, and we live in totally different parts of the US. We have been friends for 9 years now, but we talk on the phone weekly, play online video games together, and send each other letters and gifts in the mail.

I think once my friend knows I'll be coming and that I want an extra day at Disney, she may be more willing to skip the second day at Harry Potter. Even now her husband says she's feeling torn between the two parks. So I'm planning my day so that it could easily work as a solo or joint day. I still don't think she has any interest in HS, but it's quite possible we will do a half day at AK together before we separate for the rest of the day. Also, her husband told me that she wants to move her MK day to the Wednesday that week, since it has extra magic hours on wednesday.

So as of now, my plan is to go to AK on Tuesday morning (with or without my friend and her husband). I'll get there as soon as they open so that I can see everything I want before it gets super crowded. Once I'm done there I'll hop over to HS and stay there until closing at 7pm. Then Epcot has EM hours that night until 11:30 pm, so I'll have the option to head over there for the rest of the night!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

To be honest, I'm a bit nervous and intimidated about going alone, but also excited. I worry that the experience won't be as special without having people to "share the magic" with. /QUOTE]

Dont be scared or intimidated. Going Solo will feels different at first, but its a lot of fun. No waiting for others to make decisions, jumping in single rider lines, doing what you want to do when you want to do it, racing through the parks and attractions at your own speed. Then when you rejoin your friends you can tell them all about your fantastic day and all you accomplished. Your plan is very doable. I've gone solo several times and they were great days.

Upvote 0

Juliaz3

I agree that if you do get a solo day that you'll probably really enjoy it! I've gone solo three times now and although I missed my husband, I sure didn't miss his slower pace! ;-) He also is a photo bug and will stop to take photos every 2 minutes whereas I may take 2 shots each day.

The beginning of December means lower crowds also, so you'll have a bit more space to move around and the transportation won't be as crowded. A couple of things to keep in mind: It always takes longer than you imagine to walk around Animal Kingdom. It's a large park. So pick the rides you want to ride and make a plan. Second, you will get tired of all the walking so perhaps plan that your first 30 minutes at HS and Epcot will be "rest" and planning time. Just find a nice place to take a break and take in the vibe of the park before you set off on exploring. ENJOY!

P.S. Single-rider lines are an awesome perk of going solo! The one for Expedition Everest is a bit harder to spot, but definitely useful when the lines are long.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom