Help with allergies

Bazlar

Original Poster
Hey All

Our first time to disney and my youngest son (18 months) has a milk allergy. In the UK he only drinks Almond milk and has no food with any milk product in it

I was wondering do they have similar non milk products in Disney? I imagine they do but just want to check.

Also are there any restaurants that cater for this type of thing. we intend to eat out as much as possible

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance for your help

Baz

Weather_Lady

Disney is great about working with you when it comes to food allergies and aversions.

Many of the resort shops sell almond milk and other non-dairy options, if you want to have something to put in your fridge in an onsite hotel room.

As for the restaurants, table service places will be happy to accommodate you. (I don't know if they have almond milk available, but they should offer other dairy-free beverages.) Just let them know as soon as you sit down at your table, and they'll send a chef out to consult with you and point out what menu options are non-dairy, and what options can be customized to make them so.

There's less flexibility with counter service (fast food style) restaurants, but do ask what items contain dairy ingredients, and what substitutions can be made.

StarWarsGirl

Disney is awesome about food allergies. I have multiple food allergies and have never had an issue. When you make a TS reservation, not on the reservation that a member of your party has a food allergy. The chef will come out and talk to you and tell you what to avoid, what can be adapted on the menu, etc. Counter service places you can ask what's in the food. A bit more challenging, but manageable.

When you're in Animal Kingdom, stop by the garden kiosk. They have nutritional information on hand and may be able to offer you some milk-free snacks (I know they have nut and gluten-free snacks, so they should be able to help you with milk-free as well.) The kiosk is located in Discovery Island. http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/gardens-kiosk.htm

In Epcot, I recommend Teppan Edo as a TS place (Japanese). Not only is the food fantastic, but as far as working around your allergy, it should be a breeze. For CS, check out Sunshine Seasons. They also are very easy to work with.

As far as almond milk for in the room, Disney does not sell almond milk on property. They do sell soy milk, but only in small containers rather than a carton. If you are planning on being off site for part of your trip, head over to a grocery store. They will have almond/soy milk there.

Have a great trip!

Weather_Lady

As far as almond milk for in the room, Disney does not sell almond milk on property. They do sell soy milk, but only in small containers rather than a carton. If you are planning on being off site for part of your trip, head over to a grocery store. They will have almond/soy milk there.

Have a great trip!

I based my [contrary] response on the availability of Almond Milk on this answer from the Mom's Panel, but I defer to you. Sheesh -- I've seen them give out enough wrong information that I really ought to have learned not to trust a thing the Mom's Panel says by now! http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/questions.aspx?sort=&page=&qid=167082&pid=94&cid=148

StarWarsGirl

I based my [contrary] response on the availability of Almond Milk on this answer from the Mom's Panel, but I defer to you. Sheesh -- I've seen them give out enough wrong information that I really ought to have learned not to trust a thing the Mom's Panel says by now! http://disneyworldforum.disney.go.com/questions.aspx?sort=&page=&qid=167082&pid=94&cid=148
Yeah, no almond milk. I asked a CM in August about Soy and Almond milk because I have a milk sensitivity (I don't drink milk or eat cream products if I'm already feeling allergic or my asthma is bad) and my friend is also dairy sensitive and drinks almond milk at home and she was coming with me in January, and the CM said no, though she thought they ought to carry it (this was at BC, also none at Pop when we checked). They do sell individual cartons of Silk Very Vanilla both in the parks and , but it's not that great, especially on cereal. I prefer regular vanilla Silk. It is an option, insides the parks

The OP posted elsewhere that they will have a car. They are better off going to a grocery store and getting exactly what they need. It will also be cheaper.

coachwnh

Hey All

Our first time to disney and my youngest son (18 months) has a milk allergy. In the UK he only drinks Almond milk and has no food with any milk product in it

I was wondering do they have similar non milk products in Disney? I imagine they do but just want to check.

Also are there any restaurants that cater for this type of thing. we intend to eat out as much as possible

Baz
First, welcome to the boards. Second, as others have said on here already, Disney may be the best place to go on vacation and not have to worry about your food allergies. I know from personal experience that they are excellent with this!

TWICKERS

Hey All

Baz
We are also from the UK and going to WDW in June with my Granddaughter who also has a dairy allergy when are you going?

Charlotte's Mum

As Twickers said we are going in June with our daughter who will be 18 months old with a severe dairy allergy. I found this website quite useful
http://www.allergyeats.com/blog/index.php/no-ones-perfect-not-even-disney-world/
I have also looked at offsite restaurants and some have printable lists of what allergens their foods contained.

I found Target and Walmart websites good to see what milks and snacks are available to buy. We've also decided to buy all our nappies, wipes etc out there as although slightly more expensive I don't have to worry about finding room for them.

After going to Ibiza last year and taking over 20kg of food with us when she was 9 months old, I'm definitely much happier about going to America and being able to cater for her without taking stuff with us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom