Help Senior Parents want to go to Disney!

MOUSEGIRL

I need some help my parents in there 70's want to go to Disney with us! Last night we (DH &I) had dinner with our parents and my father has decided that they want to go to Disney with us. They have never been to Disney world, they went to Disney Land over 40 years ago. He ask me to give him an itinerary of things he can do at Disney with a description. He said this is going to be a once in a lifetime trip and he wants to feel like a child. The only things I think he may not be able to do is the roller coasters. He is very active, however my mother is not she is perfectly happy playing games on her ipad all day. My father wants me to talk her into going. I have planned several trip for people and usually have no problem, however never for seniors. My DH and and I have gone for the past 25 years every year and sometimes 2 times a year. Please help, any suggestion will be appreciated.

daringstoic

This sounds like so much fun. I love his enthusiasm. I think part of the planning is knowing that it's going to be a slower-paced trip. You probably won't doing rope drop and closing down the parks at night. Avoiding the blazing hot summer will help a bit too. You could try booking sit-down dining everyday so you have a built in break in an air conditioned restaurant. Staying at one of the monorail resorts or at least a deluxe will make transportation easier.

You could try selling your mom on World Showcase, especially if they haven't traveled internationally. It's so nice to just walk around for an afternoon. You could maybe make a rough itinerary for what you think would be reasonable to cover in a day with them at each park. It sounds like you have a decent idea about their energy level and mobility. You could also give your mom the option of spending afternoons at the hotel by the pool if she just wants to chill out.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Have you actually asked her yet? Did she say that no way she is not going? You can't really force anyone into doing something they really do not want to do but you can always tell her that she should do it for her husband. And if not then he should go without her. You can tell her that she can go back to the resort any time she feels like it. And maybe stay at a nicer resort if you can afford it, so there are more amenities for them.

Upvote 0

DisAl

The most important advice I can give them is --- GO!
I agree with everything daringstoic said.
As for itinerary, remember the old saying that no plan of battle survives first contact with the enemy. Plan all you want but one long line can wreck your detailed schedule. As I am sure you already know, flexibility is one attribute that help make a WDW trip successful.
As for descriptions of things they can do, I suggest that you get a copy of "the Unofficial Guide to Wald Disney World 2018" by Sehlinger and Testa or "Birnbaum's 2018 Walt Disney World: The Official Guide" and give it to your dad. Both of these books are excellent and provide a wealth of information. Reading the World Showcase section may be all it takes to convince your mother.
Another great planning tool is touringplans.com . It costs around $10 or so to subscribe for a year but I think it is well worth it. You can plug in what you want to do. You can plug in parameters like "minimize walking" and let it generate a plan for you. We have never had this work perfectly (see first contact comment above....) but it will give you a plan to aim at.
One other thing to consider is their overall health. My mother, who will be a month shy of 89 when we take the whole family again this June, does well over short distances but cannot handle our average of 6 miles a day of walking at WDW. We take wheelchair and that way can cover about 3 times as much territory and she can enjoy it without being totally exhausted. (FYI she rode Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Said it was two trips in one. Her first AND last.)
Finally, I love your dad's attitude. I still feel like a kid every time we go, and I am almost 67. (70's ain't seniors any more!!!;)) My wife and I plan to go back to WDW for our 45th anniversary next January for a whole week. JUST US! It is a completely different trip with just the two of us.
Tell your mom to start packing. Tell her she can take her tablet if she wants to, but I'll bet once she gets there she will be right in the middle of things with the rest of you.

61UCUDG5PrL._AC_SX60_CR,0,0,60,60_.jpg
See this image

Upvote 0

yensid67

After thinking about it for a few minutes and your dilemma...here is what I am leaning towards...

As far as the trip. you and DH will have to remember that your parents are with you and will no doubt slow you down more than you are accustomed. That being said, I WOULD DO ROPE DROP and leaving when its get hot(mid afternoon) for a resort break and then return a few hours later when the heat begins to break for the night! This will give your Mom the time she needs to just do what she wants to do, because she doesn't seem like she would too interested in attractions. Your Mom will have to make some concessions for your Father, so he gets what he wants out of the trip as well! Its GIVE & TAKE kinda thing for them! Now on getting you Mom to go with you that's a little tricky, but it goes with what I just said...She can still do the same things she would do at home, just in a MAGICAL place. I would just tell her THEY are going with you on this trip, no questions! Tell her she can still do the things she does now, even if she chooses to stay at the resort while you all go to the Parks. Just remember, its her vacation too! But if you're parents have been together, they know how to get what they want while keeping the other happy! I would really talk up World Showcase, show them a Vacation Planning DVD video or youtube videos of World Showcase, Disney Springs, your Dad might like ESPN. Orlando is more than Theme Parks...venture out and have a day or 2 seeing International Drive area, taking in a dinner show(alcapones.com) I think they will have fun in whatever way they choose!

Upvote 0

macefamily

Absolutely take them. My mom went twice. She went with us when she was 62 and we just took her again in October when she was 72. She wanted to try everything at least once. When we took her on Expedition Everest I felt like people were thinking "elder abuse." But she did it. We also took my mother in law many years ago, but she gave out after three days. She was 68. We got her a jazzy scooter after that. You can move at their pace. Slow down and enjoy the experience. At the end of our trip this past October, my mom said that it was probably the last time she would see Disney, and she was so very happy to have experienced it. That was kind of sad. Although, my wife and I plan on eventually selling our home in Pennsylvania and moving to Florida. If mom is still around, you can bet she'll be seeing Disney again.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

I think it's great that your Dad wants to go. And don't assume that your mother won't be interested in the attractions ONCE SHE GETS THERE. She may surprise you. We once had a large multi family group, with one of the members being quite reluctant about the whole thing. Until he actually experienced it. His attitude took a completely 180° change. I'm not the most active person at home, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy more active vacations where there are new things to see and do.

I agree that a guide book might be a good thing for your parents. While I think the Unofficial Guide is best for planning purposes, it might be a bit intimidating for your parents (it's huuuuuge!). Birnbaums might be a better choice. Since you will be doing the planning, the customized touring plans might be a good idea, even though you and your spouse are WDW veterans. Give your dad a copy of each days plan, so he knows whats going on each day. And invite their input. But remember that they are just a guide, and aren't carved in stone.

Getting an early morning start and taking a midday resort break will likely be very important in managing energy levels and health for all involved. I didn't see what time of year you're going, but for us, even winter trips benefit from those breaks. If your mother is not physically fit, or is lacking in stamina, consider renting a wheelchair or (if you think her driving skills are adequate to the task) an ECV. She wouldn't have to ride in all the time if she didn't want to. For instance, she could drive it to a central point in one of the lands, park it in one of the designated parking areas, then walk around until she tires. The nice thing about these is that it provides her with a place to sit no matter where you are.

Upvote 0

DisAl

In addition to the guides mentioned by a couple of us there are dozens if not hundreds of WDW videos on YouTube with video "tours" of just about every resort, ride, parade, and walks through the parks.
I agree with Minnie Mum on Birnbaums probably being the better choice in this case. I always get the Unofficial Guide which is more like a detailed technical manual, our daughter always gets the Birnbaum with is more like a friendly users guide so we have both. The daughter also get the kids version of the Birnbaum book for our granddaughter.

Upvote 0

Larry G

I have read your "cry for help" and the responses with a lot of interest. My wife and I are both 68 and we love Disney World. We have gone once every year for the past ten years and this year we have reservations for two visits driving from Texas. DW brings back the child in all of us and makes us feel younger and healthier than we are. I have never had a bad day at DW. But, then we "get it". By that I mean we feel the vibe of youthfulness and fun and Magic that is Disney. Hopefully you feel it and it sounds as though your Dad wants to feel it. Just maybe your Mom will get it too. Give her a chance. As other responses have said, go at her pace, let her do what she wants to do. It just might be possible that her pace will quicken as she feels the Magic. Keep an open mind and no matter how it goes just have fun. Maybe it is a once in a lifetime experience for your parents, but it will create memories that all of you will enjoy for years.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

A Disney trip would be a great way of spending quality time with your elderly parents. Do all you can to make it work, especially as they are advancing in age, do it while they can. The only thing you might have to consider depending on their stamina and health is planning in rest times and bathroom breaks, and check out menus for dietary needs. Even though they have good stamina at home a Disney trip involves more of a hectic pace and a different walking pace throughout the day. Just the surroundings and dealing with crowds can wear an elderly person down faster. Also you should check on any medicines they need to take along to be sure they pack everything they will need for that time period.

Upvote 0

MOUSEGIRL

Original Poster
Thank you for all of your advise. I went to the book store today and bought both book you suggested now i a putting a list of you tube videos to show them tonight and also have highlighted sections in the books that might appeal to them. We are going and we are staying at the contemporary just waiting for mom to sign on. The plan as of now is just to have them meet us for lunch (they usually don't get up till 10:30) then do stuff they want to do then dinner then they can hang out with us or head back to their room. I figure we will probably just leave my mom at the hotel most days and only see her for meals and she will go back to the room and we will do stiff with dad.

Upvote 0

DisAl

Hey Jiminy! 70's IS NOT ELDERLY!!! Well, I used to think it was but that was before I turned 66... ;) Now I think it is anybody over 103.
You made a number of valid points that will help to make the trip more enjoyable. Thinking about those sort of things ahead of time keep minor issues from becoming big problems.
In particular the bathroom breaks brought a smile to my face. After taking my now 88 year old mother with us on the last few trips I think we know the location of every restroom in WDW even without using the restroom map on the My Disney Experience app!

Upvote 0

DisAl

Thank you for all of your advise. I went to the book store today and bought both book you suggested now i a putting a list of you tube videos to show them tonight and also have highlighted sections in the books that might appeal to them. We are going and we are staying at the contemporary just waiting for mom to sign on. The plan as of now is just to have them meet us for lunch (they usually don't get up till 10:30) then do stuff they want to do then dinner then they can hang out with us or head back to their room. I figure we will probably just leave my mom at the hotel most days and only see her for meals and she will go back to the room and we will do stiff with dad.
If you mentioned this I missed it, but are there other family members going? Seeing the look on my grandchildren's faces as they experience the wonder of Disney makes the whole trip worth it. Especially if there are grandchildren involved encourage her to go on the parks with you, especially the Magic Kingdom, since it will be so easy to go back to the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

Dory71

It is wonderful that you have thought ahead and received some good advice already. We took my parents a few years ago when they were in their late 60's. I always thought of them as in pretty good shape, (they ride bicycles 7 miles a day), but never imagined the wear and tear it would take on them. I would suggest taking it slow and resting when necessary. They did tell me that Animal Kingdom was the worst park on them due to the amount of inclines at that park. Enjoy and have a memorable trip!

Upvote 0

MOUSEGIRL

Original Poster
If you mentioned this I missed it, but are there other family members going? Seeing the look on my grandchildren's faces as they experience the wonder of Disney makes the whole trip worth it. Especially if there are grandchildren involved encourage her to go on the parks with you, especially the Magic Kingdom, since it will be so easy to go back to the Contemporary.
Thanks for asking but no grandchildren are going ours is the youngest and he is 20 and will be at school. We tried several times when he was younger to get them to go but they would not.

Upvote 0

LeighM

Sounds like a fantastic idea of your parents going with you! What a great experience to make memories. Mom and I would take family vacations with her Mom and step dad, her older brother, his wife, and their granddaughter (who was a few years younger than me) and those are some of my best memories. We had so much fun (arguments as well but mostly fun LOL). I lost my Mom a couple of years ago at the age of 71 and my last surviving uncle died a few years prior at 72 (the other brothers died age 63 and 69). Memories and pictures are the only thing I have left of them. I would've loved to have been able to share my love of Disney with the family closest to me. Losing them has reminded me to always chose the option that will make the best memories.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Driver

Age is just a number, my best friends mother in law has gone zip lining with us and just recently tried sky diving..... she's 89! I ran into a couple just this week that have been coming to WDW for app. 35yrs. and they are well into their 70's. They love it!!! Disney has something for the kid in all of us. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Miceberg

I really hope this works out for you! We took my parents to WDW for their 50th Anniversary in August. They are 71 and 75 - their first trip. We offered to take them to Hawaii, WDW or on an Alaska cruise and they chose WDW. The traveling party included my parents, 2 grandkids ages 25 and 27 & 1 grandkid-inlaw, me and DH. It was an amazing trip, even with the heat and humidity. My Mom cried happy tears multiple times and even my Dad got choked up a couple of times. I think part of the trip's success was taking our time with a very loose agenda and being very flexible. When they would start to slow down, we would go for a drink or snack in air conditioning or shade. We decided against rope drop and let them start the day when ready. I just didn't want them to feel rushed or pressured. There were a couple of days when the heat was relentless (even with cooling towels and hats) so we called it a day early and enjoyed the pool.

I hope everything works in your favor - happy traveling!

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

Your dad sounds adorable - you are so lucky to have this opportunity with them. Take lots of pics (well, not so many that you do nothing but take pics)! Would love to see some of them if you feel like you can share them with us. Have a blessed and magical trip, enjoy every minute - these moments go by so fast!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom