Help me stay calm.

steamboat wil

Original Poster
A background: became parents for the first time last summer of a 5 yr old boy with c/p and autism. He uses a stroller/wheelchair when we visit WDW. We took him last summer and he absolutely loved it so we figured we would go again this summer and planned a trip. Along the way we had a baby ( we adopt, unable to have kids of our own). Our baby girl is currently 6 months old. We added her to our reservation. We leave tomorrow night in our van for the 18 hour drive and week long stay at the beach club villas. I'm starting to freak out about having a small baby and our special needs son who needs constant tending to. I know things will move slower and more breaks will be needed but I feel this is a heavy task to accomplish. Worried about our traveling circus. I have never been in this situation before. I just need to say my prayers, know everything happens for a reason, and enjoy the ride. Anyone have any tips or tricks to making this less nerve racking?

Nemo14

First of all, kudos to you for taking this all on. An 18 hour drive will be a challenge, but bring little "surprises" with you for him in the car. Does he watch movies? A DVD player can be a real lifesaver.
When you stop for breaks, give him lots of active play time. It will mean it will take longer than the 18 hours, but it will help a lot.
Once you get to WDW, justtake things at a pace that he will enjoy. The baby will be easy - that's a real fun age, so just enjoy your time together as a family.

maryszhi

i would recommend lots of breaks. second i would recommend getting a guest assistance card which can help and putting you in a separate line if available with less distractions and such. third portable dvd players, ipods,etc are a great tool. fourth is there are baby care stations at all the parks for when your infant needs a feeding, break, etc. just take your time and pace yourself. disney world is not going anywhere. i hope you have a wonderful trip and kudos for adopting :) i will keep you in my prayers! have a magical time :)

steamboat wil

Original Poster
When we bought our van we made sure it came with DVD players for the middle and rear seating. It's been a life saver for trips.

jlsHouston

I am less than 8 hours from flight time to the world, we are staying at the BC too! I think everything will be fine for you and yours. It is a long drive and hopefully they will both sleep alot so there isn't alot of fussing. Relax and get excited for your trip, I am sure you will have lotsa fun and hopefully it will also be relaxing! You are making fantastic memories with your family!

Britt

I absolutely agree with getting Guest Assistance! They'll help you with rides and you'll go to the front of the lines! :D They know how to make sure the trip is EXTRA special!

Huge kudos to you guys! I bet they're both adorable and so much fun, even with the challenges! <3

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I second the DVD thing. We did the drive from PA several times with 2 kids under 5. They did pretty well. We left on a weekday so we left around 3am to get past DC area before rush hour. They slept most of the time until we reached VA somewhere south of DC and stopped at an IHOP for breakfast. We usually split the trip into 2 days by staying over somewhere in SC. Once you get there the DVC resorts all come with a portable crib (pack n play) for the baby. We used the one at BLT in June for my 2.5 year old who really didn't fit anymore, but it was very clean and worked out well.

As far as the parks, guest services will help you with the wheelchair. They seem to be very good with helping guests with special needs. Just enjoy yourself and don't try to do too much. I have a tendency to want to do and see everything, but the little ones need breaks and it will be hot down there so get out of the sun in afternoon. Enjoy the trip. If your kids are anything like mine they will do better on the ride down than the adults.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom