Help for a DLR Newbie

DarkImage4

Original Poster
OK, so I'm a seasoned vet of WDW, but I know little to nothing of DLR.

My wife and I are looking into attending an event at the Rose Bol next August, and as part of the trip we'd like to go to DL. What are the closest aiports to fly into? We'd like to do JetBlue if possible.

Any info on the drive from DL to he arera of the Rose Bowl?

Thanks, as we plan I'm sure I'll have MANY more questions...

MainSt1993

There are several airports in the LA area. JetBlue flies into Long Beach (LGB), which is very close to the resort, and is a great airport to fly in/out of because it's not nearly the size of LAX.

The Rose Bowl is in Pasadena, which is northwest of Anaheim. Plan on about 45 minutes (depending on day/time) for travel each way.

Expect Disneyland to be very different from the World. The World is totally isolated from the outside world - DLR is smack in the center of the urban jungle. I'm sure you'll absolutely love it though, and hopefully Nemo will be open by then!

DarkImage4

Original Poster
There are several airports in the LA area. JetBlue flies into Long Beach (LGB), which is very close to the resort, and is a great airport to fly in/out of because it's not nearly the size of LAX.

The Rose Bowl is in Pasadena, which is northwest of Anaheim. Plan on about 45 minutes (depending on day/time) for travel each way.

Expect Disneyland to be very different from the World. The World is totally isolated from the outside world - DLR is smack in the center of the urban jungle. I'm sure you'll absolutely love it though, and hopefully Nemo will be open by then!

Thanks for the input!

isitingood

John Wayne airport is the closest to DL. I don't think Jet Blue flies into John Wayne. Are ou flying out of N.J? Because Jet Blue doesn't fly to Long Beach from N.J. you will have to fly out of JFK.

Lynx04

I am flying out of Philly into LAX in the next couple of weeks. My first back to DL in over 20 years. Since then I have visited WDW world many of times. I will write a follow up post when I get back about the trip from LAX to the resort and everything else.

TTATraveler

John Wayne airport is the closest to DL. I don't think Jet Blue flies into John Wayne. Are ou flying out of N.J? Because Jet Blue doesn't fly to Long Beach from N.J. you will have to fly out of JFK.

If you want a direct flight to John Wayne Airport, you'll have to go with Continental out of Newark. Jet Blue only flies to Florida and Puerto Rico out of Newark. If you want a direct flight to Long Beach on Jet Blue, you'll have to fly out of JFK.

You'll have more options with LAX, but LAX is much further then John Wayne and Long Beach from DLR, not to mention that it is much larger.

DLR is awesome, you should have a great time!

crazycalf

Flying in to John Wayne (SNA) was awesome. We were not able to take a direct flight because we wanted to arrive in the morning. But we did not have to worry about LA traffic.

isitingood

Flying in to John Wayne (SNA) was awesome. We were not able to take a direct flight because we wanted to arrive in the morning. But we did not have to worry about LA traffic.

I agree if you don't know your way around the freeways in So.Cal. then John Wayne is the way to go. LAX has more options but if you get caught in that parking lot called the freeway during rush hour life will be horrible.:wave: With no traffic I can make from LAX to DL in about 45 min.

TP2000

LAX is awful. Do anything you can to avoid flying into or out of LAX.

John Wayne is the first choice for a Disneyland trip, because it is so close and such a lovely airport. Long Beach is a good second choice, mainly because JetBlue has lots of flights there and the airport is small and easy and convenient. Third choice is Ontario; a new, moderately sized airport that is clean and friendly, but a bit of a drive into Orange County or Los Angeles. Burbank is next, as it's like Long Beach but quite a bit farther away from Disneyland than Long Beach.

Did I mention you should avoid LAX like the plague? LAX is huge and overcrowded and dirty and sprawling and ugly and a bit scary. The freeways radiating out from LAX are 16 lane nightmares. The sole redeeming quality of LAX is the fabulous Theme Building at its center. It was built in 1964, looks like something from The Jetsons, and has a fantastic restaurant and cocktail lounge in the top called Encounter that was designed by WDI. If you have no other choice but to use LAX, at least give yourself an extra hour to see Encounter and experience some of Walt Disney Imagineering's finest interior design work ever. The miniskirted hostess who loads you into the bizarre elevator for the ride to the top is worth the trip alone. (They did this Jet Set Mod restaurant in the 1990's during a very brief period of time when WDI was contracting out its services to locations not on Disney property or owned by Disney.)

Disneyland in August should be lots of fun. The weather will be dramatically better than the entire East Coast at that time of year; no humidity, not a drop of rain until December, not a cloud in sight with sunny, dry, hot days and warm, wonderful nights. And the new Submarine ride will be open, plus the new Pirates Tom Sawyer Island and the revamped Pirates of the Caribbean ride. And all of the other fabulous things that makes Southern California famous around the world.

Just avoid LAX.

MainSt1993

I feel bizzarely compelled to stand up for LAX. So, here goes. The *good* things about LAX include:
  • First and foremost: Non-stop flights from the east coast. I'm particularly fond of Alaska Airline's non-stop from DCA (Washington National Airport).
  • Hertz Prestigue Collection, 'cause your ride matters when in LA!
  • Airline clubs - it's nice to have a couple complimentary cocktails before being herded onto a flying bus for five hours.
  • Taking off over the Pacific Ocean - gorgeous!

TP2000

Good points all MainSt1993. LAX isn't exactly a coal mine, it does have redeeming qualities. It's your typical mega-city international airport, and I just try to avoid it.

But John Wayne is also right on the coast and all flights take off directly over the ocean, then turn over Santa Catalina Island and head in whichever direction they need to go.

MainSt1993

TP2000, you've piqued my interest in SNA! Hertz even offers my beloved Audi convertible! :cool: I do have to conceed that LAX can be a royal pain, so SNA is definitely on the table for New Years' and next year's half marathon.

For the record though, I hate LGB because I hate JetBlue. :fork: I know they have a lot of fans. I'm not one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom