Help!!! Disney Proposal

firemanmickey

Hi. Im lookin for any advise for a wonderful proposal idea. my gf has never been to disney, and is not sure that she is going to like it down there. I grew up a Disneyaholic, and want her to appreciate it the same way i do. Looking for any ideas on what to do. Thanks :wave:

slappy magoo

The main suggestions I could give you would be not to make the proposal TOO "Disneyish." If there's a chance she's not gonna dig the trip, then don't risk the proposal not being as magical as it should be. To that end my other suggestion would be to be prepared to bail on the proposal if she's not feeling the magic at the moment.

I popped the question to my wife at Epcot, at Rose & Crown a few minutes before Illuminations. We were eating on the patio, and I had flowers delivered to our table. I then gave my little speech about how much she's meant to me, how much I hope our lives will be forever intertwined, and how much I hope the ring will fit. Then I got down on one knee and made it official. She was so transfixed by the ring (patterend to look like her grandmother's ring), I had to remind her she'd yet to give an answer. She then said Yes, we kissed, everyone around cheered (except, iroinically, the people at the table RIGHT NEXT to us, oblivious to history being made inches from their table until the clapping started and they turned to see what the fuss was about), and with that, Illuminations began. After that, the staff congratulated us, gave us a little certificate signed by all to commemorate, we had dessert, it was all good. What was really nice about it was that, while it wasn't at Disney, it wasn't too Disney - no characters, no silliness, it was about as romantic as I could get without getting too elaborate for my wallet. Don't know if my little story (meant to be an example and NOT bragging. :D ) helped or not, but I certainly wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Upvote 0

imamouse

The beach at the Polynesian during Wishes is always a good way to go. Another popular spot is the wishing well next to Cinderella's castle. Ask her to make a wish out loud and then you make yours (ala proposal). Good luck and let us know how it went.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Since she is not really a Disney freak like you, no offense...I am too, do it there but in a traditional sort of way. Dinner at a nice restaurant (Narcoossee's, Prince Alberts, etc,.), maybe on the beach, maybe stroll the wedding pavillion and do it there, during Wishes at Mk (that always makes me cry anyway), iin front of Cinderella's castle, in front of Cinderella's wishing well---make a wish that she'll marry you and then ask her to make your wish come true and pop the question, in Epcot in her fav country, or near the many lakes and beautiful scenery. Or...you can go funny and do it at the HM, as mentioned, on Cinderella's Carousel, in front of a character, etc,.

Hope this has helped. Good luck and congrats!!:wave:

Upvote 0

Philo

Like magoo said, don't make it too Disney unless you know she will love it. Let's face it, you want her to see this night as perfect.

Wait and see how much fun she is having. If it turns out she doesn't love the world (I've heard that this is possible!?) then it might be better to change your plans.

I got engaged there in 2007. I spent a while thinking of the best way to do it:
  • As soon as we walk through the castle - too public for my liking and not really the atmosphere I was after (as it happened, a guy did this right in front of us so it would have been a bit wierd)
  • Using the 'Proposal Package' at CRT. Didn't really like the idea of a package, especially as I wasn't 100% sure she would say yes!
  • Coral Reef Scuba Diving idea - I wasn't organised to set this up in time but I quite like it. Again, probably a bit to public though.
  • As we got on the plane - seemed a bit of an anti-climax to get engaged and then have to sit quietly for 9 hours. Best to do it at night when you can celebrate properly (if you get my drift)
  • On a ride / attraction. Again, too public and as much as I love Disney, I'm not sure I want to remember getting engaged on a ride.
  • After a nice romantic meal - this was a good plan. Very traditional and everyone likes it. The plan was to do it at the Cali Grill on our last night
So the last one it was. Made the reservations and all was good. However, upon watching wishes (for the first time ever), the emotion took over and I proposed there and then! Well, not quite. I suggested that we enjoy the post wishes atmosphere and music so that we weren't caught up in the post wishes rush. When it got a little quieter I proposed. I'm glad I did it this way!

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

Just a thought.... perhaps you could call ahead to the California Grill atop the Contemporary Resort and tell them you would like dinner's end to coincide with the fireworks at MK. Take her outside to the terrace and share the love while watching the fireworks (they once held our dessert so that we could be there late enough to go outside after eating on our anniversary). If you happen to go on a slower night, there shouldn't be too overwhelming a crowd on the terrace. Best wishes with your proposal- in the end two lives shared together will mean much more than one single event.
download.aspx

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
What!!!??

Dude, Wait a minute hold the phone. What you need to do is take her to WDW- see if she likes it and THEN decide if you WANT to propose!!!
What happens if she hates it? You're going to see a whole new side of her!!! Could you live with her knowing that she thinks your obsession with Disney is ridiculous...You'll have to make secret getaways just to get to the World..."Honey I've got a business trip..yes Orlando again..."You have kids...she'll turn them into Disney haters...Oh no..
:p Just kidding!! Whatever you do just put your heart into it and it will work out just fine. Have fun.

Upvote 0

raven

My suggestion would be like some of the others were saying. Don't make it too Disney-fied. If she doesn't see Disney the same way you do than she might think you are a little crazy. Let her know that she needs to be a kid when she gets there. Let herself go. Then toward the end of the trip, spring the question on her. Preferably in a quiet, romantic location like the beach at the Poly or in the Rose Garden in front of the castle.

If you want to make her cry (a good cry), get your pictures taken by a Photopass photographer in front of the partners statue at MK. Stand on the railing and shout out your proposal for everyone to here. Then you will also have pictures of the moment with the castle behind you. How much more Disney can you get than that? :wave:

Upvote 0

sissa216

The main suggestions I could give you would be not to make the proposal TOO "Disneyish."

[*]As soon as we walk through the castle - too public for my liking and not really the atmosphere I was after (as it happened, a guy did this right in front of us so it would have been a bit wierd)

My suggestion would be like some of the others were saying. Don't make it too Disney-fied.

...that's what I said.....;)

Upvote 0

slooger99

do what I am gonna do when I meet the girl of my dreams , propose to her in front of the castle with a glass slipper instead of a ring. Good luck

Upvote 0

MGMBoy

One option would be what I did.

We had reservations at the California Grill (my personal favorite signature restaurant). Scheduled them to be about 15 minutes after Wishes starts. We checked in about 20 minutes early and hung out on the outdoor promenade. Watched Wishes and I proposed to her during the finale. Placed myself so everyone had to walk past me on their way in so we were the buzz of the restaurant for the rest of the night. :)

If she's still working there, Jenny Oh was our server. I would recommend requesting her. She was amazing. We were some of the last ones there and she came over and sat down at our table with us and just talked with us for a good 20-30 minutes. It was great.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

How about simply on Main Street USA with the castle looming behind you and with a PhotoPass CM ready to snap the picture!!!!! :kiss:

After all, she IS gonna love it...how can she not???

Next Trip - January 2009

It's like coming home again......

Upvote 0

pacochran

Depends on when you are going. Last year while we were their in December we saw a guy propose to his girlfriend in the middle of Streets of America, with the light show going on and the snow coming down, it was really nice.

Upvote 0

scottb411

Proposal at WDW

We got engaged at Disney and my wife sounds like your girlfriend. She had told me in the past that she would NOT want to be proposed to at Disney World. I took this that she wouldn't want to be proposed to at the Magic Kingdom and justified the proposal at Disney so that I could get a professional photographer to take pictures of us after I proposed. I contacted the Disney's Weddings and Honeymoons department to set everything up (even though it was a proposal):

http://www.disneyweddings.go.com/site/hon/distinctly_disney.jsp

Here was my itinerary:

Friday:

1. Booked a weekend trip to AK Lodge with a Savannah room.
2. Dinner at Fulton's Crab House at Downtown Disney
3. Take in Cirque De Soleil - La Nouba
4. Ice Cream at Ghiradelli's

Saturday:

1. Go to Epcot in the morning but go back to the hotel around lunch to relax and get dressed up for dinner. - May be easier to stay at a hotel in walking distance to Epcot (ex: Yacht and Beach Club or the Boardwalk)
2. Proposed in the garden area of France at Epcot at dusk.
3. Immediately afterwards had dinner at Bistro de Paris - this helped a lot because what do you do or say after you just proposed. This helps to unwind and take in the moment.
4. At the end of the dinner, the professional photographer came and took pictures at the restaurant, then again in the garden downstairs after we were done with our meal, and then during illuminations with the fireworks behind us. They gave us a VIP seating area to watch the show and take pictures.
5. After illuminations, I had a limo pick us up out where the cast members area is to take us back to the hotel - Highly recommend this as well. After you proposed, the last thing you will want to do will be to wait in line at the monorail or bus stop with the rest of the crowds. Again, staying at a hotel in walking distance could be the better option but I liked the idea of the AK Lodge since it was brand new at the time and they had good discounts and we could see the animals from our room balcony.

Sunday:

1. Spent the day at Animal Kingdom

Needless to say, my wife and I have been happily married for over 6 years now and our first child is three weeks old today. Good luck!

Upvote 0

I-4Warrior

My brother proposed to his fiancee in front of Cinderella Castle... he had informed the Photo Pass CM what he was going to do and the CM was so excited, he snapped dozens of photos documenting the whole event from the typical poses, to dropping to one knee, to the actual proposal to the acceptance. They then got one of the keepsake books with the photos printed on each page. I thought that was a pretty great Disney proposal.

Upvote 0

momofnine

Dude, Wait a minute hold the phone. What you need to do is take her to WDW- see if she likes it and THEN decide if you WANT to propose!!!
What happens if she hates it? You're going to see a whole new side of her!!! Could you live with her knowing that she thinks your obsession with Disney is ridiculous...You'll have to make secret getaways just to get to the World..."Honey I've got a business trip..yes Orlando again..."You have kids...she'll turn them into Disney haters...Oh no..
:p Just kidding!! Whatever you do just put your heart into it and it will work out just fine. Have fun.[/quote

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL: Thats exactly what I told him...If she doesn't get Disney....RETURN THE RING!!!!! :animwink:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I wanted to also share a proposal idea I came up with that made me giggle to myself, knowing it would never ever happen (oh-so-slightly NSFW)

I thought it would be hilarious for my then-GF and I to come across Bob Parr from the Incredibles in the MK or the Studios. Big guy, strong guy, right? I'd pretend to whisper in his ear, and have him agree. I would then produce, from my pocket, a lump of coal and give it to Bob Parr, who would then pretend to stick it where the sun don't shine. After a few seconds of thigh-flexing, he'd pretend to pull out of his keister the diamond ring which I would then use to propose to my GF.

In retrospect, I probably could've just pretended to give him a lump of coal, and he could've used his hands to compress the coal into the diamond ring. That would've been funny, too...

Dang...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom