"Heat Advisory" for most of Florida - including WDW

hrcollectibles

DO what you must to keep cool while at the Disney parks. Take in attractions that you normally would not. Hall of Presidents, The American Adventure, The Film at Norway, Its a Small World even Stitch's great Escape anything that offers an extended escape from the heat in an Air conditioned room

Disney05

Going to the World the first week of September. Was wondering how we'll adapt to the heat that time of year. I haven't even opened my pool here yet.

Thrill Seeker

Avoid going to AK today. That park is always somewhat hotter than the others and most of the attractions are outdoors. I was there yesterday and it was unbearably hot all day. Not good weather for doing any outdoor activities...

Wilt Dasney

Do fur characters have their sets cut shorter than normal during weather like this? Do any outdoor meet and greets get moved indoors entirely?

I'm guessing CM's in outdoor positions just have to suck it up and hope they get rotated indoors as soon as possible.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Florida about now. Heck, I could do without Georgia for that matter, although it's considerably "cooler" here. (heat indices only in the mid-90s!) :rolleyes:

WDWNooby

We just got back to Central Illinois last night after 8 days there...heed these warnings...I cannot tell you how unbearably hot it is right now there...drink LOTS and LOTS...you definitely need it and should make it a priority to stay hydrated.l

bayoutinkbelle

When we go during the summer, I always try to alternate what we do so that we get breaks in attractions with AC/water between the times we have to stick it out in the heat and humidity. Drinking water is a must, of course.

I did discover something last summer that works wonders, for me at least. I was working a Dixie softball world series - a week of games from morning to night in temperatures that often went over 100 degrees. I had to stand outside the third-base dugout to video these games. A nightmare, as you can imagine. A vendor there was selling "Cajun Neck Coolers," a catchy title for a frozen tube that you tied around your neck. She gave me one after I did a story on her and her booming business. I'm telling you, that thing was wonderful. I'm bringing it with me next week. I may not be able to keep it frozen, but I can keep it cold. We'll see if it makes a difference.

MissM

Original Poster
It's been extended once again...

Heat Advisory for Orange County, FL

from 12 pm EDT, Mon., Jun. 22, 2009 until 8 pm EDT, Mon., Jun. 22, 2009

Issued by The National Weather Service Melbourne, FL
8:21 pm EDT, Sun., Jun. 21, 2009

... HEAT ADVISORY FOR THIS AFTERNOON HAS EXPIRED...
... HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT MONDAY.

HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER 90S COUPLED WITH HIGH RELATIVE HUMIDITY VALUES WILL PRODUCE HEAT INDICES OF 105 OR HIGHER FOR A FEW HOURS DURING THE MID TO LATE AFTERNOON... ESPECIALLY AWAY FROM THE IMMEDIATE COAST.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES... NEIGHBORS AND PETS. IF POSSIBLE... CONDUCT ANY OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES EARLY IN THE MORNING OR LATE IN THE EVENING WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE COOLER.

It was well into triple-digits again today. Sickeningly, disgustingly, dangerously hot outside.

For those of you trying to stay cool or cool down, another good suggestion besides trying to cool down your neck or your head is to cool down the inside of your wrists. Run cold water over them, or "cup" a cold bottle or drink with your wrists. It will really feel good.

Stay safe out there guys! If a 23-year resident who grew up here thinks it's been beyond miserable out, trust me, it's beyond miserable out. They don't put out advisories like this without cause.

oakback

I'll be heading to WDW June 6-10. Last time we went (summer '08), we had 2 Camel Baks (3 liter I carried, 2 liter my son carried), sunscreen, and hats. No rushing, plenty of bench breaks, and we did fine. When the packs ran dry, I requested ice at the restaurants, and they gladly filled up my pack, which I then re-filled with water at a fountain.

Out of all the WDW parks, regarding heat management, Epcot Future World was the best. So much of it is indoors. In the same respect, Epcot World Showcase was the worst. Not much shade, and attempting to drink-around-the-world in 98F+humidity heat was not a good idea. :hammer:

This year we'll return with a new baby (7 months), and in-laws, one in a wheelchair, so combating the heat will be a major concern. This will be the first time staying in the park, and we got the park hoppers, so we'll be able to return to our cabin for the hottest part of the day, and go later in the evenings for the magic hours.

Luckily we're all lifetime Florida residents, so it's nothing new. Local highs this weekend were 101 and 102.

elisatonks

It may also be worth noting that though no heat advisory has yet been issued for tomorrow, the meterologist for FOX Tampa Bay indicated this morning that they expect the heat to continue tomorrow, so will not be suprised if a heat advisory is issued later today for tomorrow.

elisatonks

When we go during the summer, I always try to alternate what we do so that we get breaks in attractions with AC/water between the times we have to stick it out in the heat and humidity. Drinking water is a must, of course.

I did discover something last summer that works wonders, for me at least. I was working a Dixie softball world series - a week of games from morning to night in temperatures that often went over 100 degrees. I had to stand outside the third-base dugout to video these games. A nightmare, as you can imagine. A vendor there was selling "Cajun Neck Coolers," a catchy title for a frozen tube that you tied around your neck. She gave me one after I did a story on her and her booming business. I'm telling you, that thing was wonderful. I'm bringing it with me next week. I may not be able to keep it frozen, but I can keep it cold. We'll see if it makes a difference.

They sound really cool, i'd buy one if they sold them down here!!!

timeman

Just watching the news on the local Orlando NBC station and they mentioned that today a lot of places in the area broke record highs for the day. They also stated that last summer they only had 3 days above 95 degrees. The rest of the week they are calling for temps in the low 90s and of course a 40% chance of rain every day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom