Hearing news of a monorail crash today.

s8film40

Well we're hearing two different things:

1 - Contact during towing, per Disney.

2 - Crash during automation testing.

Time will play out what actually happened but I dont think it was being towed.
Yeah, I don't have any solid information. I do know though that everything with the work tractors is completely manual. An automated system should never be tested alongside a manual vehicle that to my knowledge cannot be detected by the system.

DisneyOutsider

I think were just getting closer to the day when Disney does away with the monorails all together, they are leaning towards more boats and buses etc. some of the boat captains discuss such a plan very openly when they probably shouldn't. But it wouldnt surprise me in the least sadly.

So, I'm curious, where do the boat captains rank on the "my bus driver told me" rumor-scale? ;)

GeneralKnowledge

They've got it towed back to the ttc. Monorail cast are doing crowd control and I overheard one of them asking people not to spread the rumor that there was a monorail accident.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 319

jrhwdw

Forgive me but why would EPCOT 's line be down? Wonder what MK will do for travel tonight? They close at 9 tonight right? Wonder if anyone saw something from the resort line? Good thing the resort line wasn't passing by at moment of impact!

s8film40

Forgive me but why would EPCOT 's line be down? Wonder what MK will do for travel tonight? They close at 9 tonight right? Wonder if anyone saw something from the resort line? Good thing the resort line wasn't passing by at moment of impact!
My guess is the tractor you see at the other end came from that spur so they would need to stop that line to move it over. They also would typically shut everything down to focus on the issue at hand and minimize all other radio traffic and avoid confusion with dealing with the situation.

PhotoDave219

Typically if they are out during normal operations it's to tow a train that can't be moved. It is also common practice to de-energize the beamway they are on for the safety of the employees on the tractor.

Yeah but this was testing. It will be interesting to get an answer of "so why was the tug there"....

Also, its testing. There better be a really good explanation as to why the beam was not de-energized by someone watching as a safety person. You would think they'd have someone on a kill switch to prevent the train from hitting anything, if something like a sensor failed.

GeneralKnowledge

Since they have it towed to the ttc I don't think they want anyone up on the Epcot platform looking over and seeing the damage.

danv3

They've got it towed back to the ttc. Monorail cast are doing crowd control and I overheard one of them asking people not to spread the rumor that there was a monorail accident.

Interesting request from the CMs. It's not exactly a rumor that there was a monorail accident--there pretty clearly was. Fortunately not a serious one (no one hurt, etc.) but I don't think there's really any denying that an accident of some sort occurred!

raven

Original Poster
Interesting request from the CMs. It's not exactly a rumor that there was a monorail accident--there pretty clearly was. Fortunately not a serious one (no one hurt, etc.) but I don't think there's really any denying that an accident of some sort occurred!

The denial is from Disney management. Just another brainwashing technique for those cast members.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Common sense would be to put a break-away barrier in the path for the monorail to crash into IF the test failed. NOT a repair vehicle. Dumb.

Probably management being cheap 'this test is just a formality, we've got it covered etc' because WDW is so hung up on 'saving' money the few thousand for a breakaway obstacle was deemed excessive 'cost'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom