Having a party member save a table while others get the food?

disneyfan1995

We do this all the time. It's a lot less stressful for everyone to just have one person order the food than to have all five of us crowd up and cause traffic jams up at the register. I don't really see any issues with it considering things like this happen everywhere, not just at Disney.

armyfamilyof5

We were at Casey's once, got in line, everyone decided what they wanted the husband took the 2 little ones outside to get a table and were able to find one but with only 2 chairs, this was like over 2 hours before the last parade. There is a woman sitting at three tables (the ones closest to Main St) with 10 chairs and bags and backpacks etc in all the chairs. My husband, oldest child and I ate standing up and no one ever sat in any of those chairs, many people asked if they could use one to eat and she just shooed everyone off. 2 hours later we stroll by and there she still is but now all those seats are full. That beotch had been sitting there taking up those tables for over 2 hours so her family would have great seats for the parade, (or so she thought). Those $10 balloons and sitting the twins up to completely block their view was worth every penny as well as the bags of popcorn we gave them to feed the ducks, she was swarming in ducks, karma baby, karma.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We were at Casey's once, got in line, everyone decided what they wanted the husband took the 2 little ones outside to get a table and were able to find one but with only 2 chairs, this was like over 2 hours before the last parade. There is a woman sitting at three tables (the ones closest to Main St) with 10 chairs and bags and backpacks etc in all the chairs. My husband, oldest child and I ate standing up and no one ever sat in any of those chairs, many people asked if they could use one to eat and she just shooed everyone off. 2 hours later we stroll by and there she still is but now all those seats are full. That beotch had been sitting there taking up those tables for over 2 hours so her family would have great seats for the parade, (or so she thought). Those $10 balloons and sitting the twins up to completely block their view was worth every penny as well as the bags of popcorn we gave them to feed the ducks, she was swarming in ducks, karma baby, karma.

I'm not sure if this is evil...or brilliant!

jenn47

Wow, who knew this was such an issue!! Lol..but yeah we have a system for counter service. I order with one of my kids, a helper with the tray drinks etc. One goes for napkins, utensils, condiments etc, while my third finds, and yep sits at a table. I never have however, and would never DREAM or hovering or asking someone how much longer they were going to be. In fact around Easter weekend the kiddo's and I sat on the concrete outside at cosmic rays when there was no seating. But overall, no I don't see a problem with it and don't think twice when I see someone else doing it.

armyfamilyof5

We had elementary school graduation last week and my mom is blind so we arrived at 8:15 for the 9:00 program and it was already pretty busy. A woman had all kinds of paraphenalia spread across the front row and advised me she was saving that entire row for her family, she needed 10 additional seats, I told her I wasn't dragging my 70+year old blind mother all over the place to find a seat and if her family was serious they wanted front row seating they should have arrived before us. Sat mom down and we made ourselves comfortable. Her family shows up at 8:50 and there weren't enough seats for them all. She loudly complained about us informing them that we had taken two of the seats and allowed another woman to sit next to us as well. My mother sweetly leaned over and told them, "yes, we all got here early to get these seats for the excellent viewing, she think's she owns the auditorium but the seating is first come, first served." Both my kids won academic presidential awards and I was so happy traveling across them to the end of the row to take pictures of my son that is receiving this award and then again for my daughter that is receiving this award just because their kid did not get one. Yes, I am evil.... Saving a table to so you can eat at Disney, sure, go for it. Saving a seat for one family member at a graduation, sure, go for it but trying to save an entire row for late arrivers, not happening on my watch.

wdwmom2+1

We also usually leaveone parent with the three kids while the other one goes and orders. I don't really see this As a big deal as it is a lot easier and it usually is only like ten minutes while the person orders. We also don't take very long eating so we probably don't take half the time others do even including the time we have the table take. Up. While ordering. We do not however hover close or by people or stalk people for tables.

Britt

Hahahahahaha!!!! That is so horrible and yet so awesome! <3

armyfamilyof5

We also usually leaveone parent with the three kids while the other one goes and orders. I don't really see this As a big deal as it is a lot easier and it usually is only like ten minutes while the person orders. We also don't take very long eating so we probably don't take half the time others do even including the time we have the table take. Up. While ordering. We do not however hover close or by people or stalk people for tables.

We do not hover but we are stalkers, I'm not proud of it.....I can't tell you how many times we've followed people leaving DTD to see if we can score their spot. What's even funnier about it is how happy they almost always are to be able to hook us up. We asked a lady one day if she was perchance going to her car to leave and she was all smiles, pointing us the way, we were all high fiving each other in the car and she ran over to the car and high fived us through the window, I'm just giggling remembering!!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We do not hover but we are stalkers, I'm not proud of it.....I can't tell you how many times we've followed people leaving DTD to see if we can score their spot. What's even funnier about it is how happy they almost always are to be able to hook us up. We asked a lady one day if she was perchance going to her car to leave and she was all smiles, pointing us the way, we were all high fiving each other in the car and she ran over to the car and high fived us through the window, I'm just giggling remembering!!!

Yeah, that's me in the QS places when it's busy. I'll happily offer to share a table, and when we get up we bus our own table (I'm trying to teach the kid to be clean and polite, plus it's really just the right thing to do...I worked years in restaurants and couldn't believe the way some people left their tables!), and if busy we'll motion one of the "floating" families over.

It's easy to spot them, or maybe that's just a carryover of years in restaurant management...but they all have that same look on their collective faces...

tumblr_m1ytugaXIx1rt06rto1_500.gif

beachlover4444

Well that 10-20 minutes that you sat at a table not eating holding it, while someone was standing there with a tray with food getting cold on it, sure irritates me to death. If the table was vacant, a family could eat and leave before you get there to eat. Table hogs are part of the problem. If I ever see someone needing a table and we're done I get out of the way. If it's slow it's ok to hang around a bit and rest. People just need to be more courteous and pay attention to what's going on.

mergatroid

Original Poster

Just seen this whilst tidying up my bookmarks, brilliant :D:D:D

JohnD

I go alone so just have to fend for myself. But if you have a larger party, why should the whole party get in line for counter service? It would seem okay that some in the party hold the table and you have enough in the party to order/carry the food back to the table. Mind you, this is long enough to order food then eat. Not hog the table for a long period of time.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I go alone so just have to fend for myself. But if you have a larger party, why should the whole party get in line for counter service? It would seem okay that some in the party hold the table and you have enough in the party to order/carry the food back to the table. Mind you, this is long enough to order food then eat. Not hog the table for a long period of time.
So what happens when it's real crowded, and it takes 20-30 minutes for that person to get their food? A family could have sat down and eaten while you were getting your food, but now they have to stand to eat. It's totally rude for anyone to hold a table at a QS place.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Thus the policies where they have had cast members prevent people without food to sit in the dining areas. If they de-couple dining areas from viewing areas this would be less of an issue.

Weather_Lady

As a matter of etiquette, we don't hold tables for anyone (unless we already have our food in hand and are just waiting for a straggler in our party whose order took longer to prepare).

We generally try to avoid dining at peak times, but if tables are at a premium and we have any extra seats at our table, we offer them to people who are "hovering," looking for a place to sit. Even if sitting with another family wasn't their first choice, nobody has ever refused. :)

DManRightHere

I don't really know the math involved. As long as it doesn't take over 10 minutes to get food I don't see the problem having someone save a seat.

We've never had an issue with other guests over seating, and the only place we have trouble finding a place to sit and eat is near the yak and yeti quick service. Once at Morocco I was by myself and asked another lone fellow that was seated at a large table if I could dine at his table, no issues!

Ugh, just noticed this is from 2011.

PrincessRachelT

I will admit...I have done this before. Not because we haven't ordered our food, but because I've gone with others who have food allergies like I do, and we find a table to sit at while we wait for our food to be made (this can take anywhere from 5-25 minutes) and then we send one person up with all three buzzers once they go off. We also make a point not to dine at peak times, so usually there are lots of tables, and we just really need to sit (since one member of our party never goes to Disney and wants to run around like a chicken with her head cut off)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom