Have universal surpassed Disney ?

tbone8706

Having just visited Universal myself for the first time a few weeks ago, l'd like to add my opinion on this.

First off, yes, Harry Potter is probably the best part of Universal. It has that "Disney" vibe: the theming, rides, shops, food, etc. all fit in really well. Even the cast in the area do a good job of playing the role. The attention to detail lets you really immerse yourself in the action going on, something of which Disney has excelled at for years. However, outside of this and possibly the Simpsons area, this immersion appears to be severely lacking in the park. Sure, you may have some themed lands, but there's not near enough detail to make you think you've escaped reality and entered a fantasy land.

Personally, I think part of the problem is that there is no centrally - recognized character or mascot that one thinks of when they think of "Universal," so it's hard to incorporate that immersive theming throughout the park. Disney has Mickey, Six Flags has Bugs Bunny, Universal has...? There's several mascots (Harry, Minions, Dr. Seuss) that Universal could use, but it just seems like they're all over the place on coming up with a central "theme" or quite frankly don't wish to have a common theme.

As far as rides are concerned, Universal has way more "E-ticket" / thrill ride density than Disney. Not as much "family friendly", but they don't appear to be targeted to family as much either. Universal's rides are also more up-to-date...but that is also a consequence of what they choose to exhibit at their park.

So who wins? Depends on how you look at it. For the level of action, Universal wins. However, for that full immersion feeling, Disney is a generation ahead of Universal.

IAmFloridaBorn

I will say this. Universal suites my tastes more personally. The theming at Universal is on Par and surpasses Disney to an extent (Rides, Ride Queues). Disney themes lands much better as Universal think's it's okay to plop a ride down anywhere (being cheap).

I do like the streetscape at Universal better. Disney does a great job at making me feel as though I have really walked into a land elsewhere than home, except it can be too much "Disney" . Where as Universal is like, "Hey come and take this journey we know not where, but you will enjoy it" type of atmosphere.

I find the Resorts at Universal to be as nice as the Disney Resorts. I think the DIsney resorts are better themed but too many of them are too far from the action.

The people at Universal are more "Real" in terms of "hey Look , yeah we don't have that sorry. But Jenny at the next cart does"
Where as Disney "Bs's" with you when something doesn't go your way they can not fix right away.

Universal doesn't have Magic Bands. I find that totally awesome as you are just wondering like a well written story.
Disney feels like a pressure moment to finish the daily checklist with no time to spare.

TO me nobody is winning. They are offering different experiences, customer service, and ultimate vacations.
Universal want's you to "Vacation like you mean it" Literally. Although I am a Local, I do enjoy Universal much more. No Hate to Disney.

IAmFloridaBorn

and for the People who keep saying "If All of Universal Was as Good as Potter".

Well Unlike Disney, Universal has new owners who definitely aren't with the BS! No more Blackstone Group. Much Like Sea World. The Parks are going to be much more immersive and much more of an experience!
What we have been getting (Simpsons, Transformers, Harry Potter), we will continue or should continue to see that same innovativeness.

EngineJoe

and for the People who keep saying "If All of Universal Was as Good as Potter".

Well Unlike Disney, Universal has new owners who definitely aren't with the BS! No more Blackstone Group. Much Like Sea World. The Parks are going to be much more immersive and much more of an experience!
What we have been getting (Simpsons, Transformers, Harry Potter), we will continue or should continue to see that same innovativeness.

I actually don't like or care for the Transformers ride. It's always empty too, no line which is a good indication of it's popularity.

UpAllNight

I'd argue Transformers is one of the most immersive ride experiences in Orlando, thus the world. The action was so fast paced I really got into it and forgot I was on a ride. Awesome.

forevertrueblue

Our family was in Orlando for an event this summer and since we'd already done two Disney-only trips we decided to try two days at Universal this time. We mainly focused on the Wizarding World sections, seeing as that was also a tie-in to the event, but we managed to check out some other areas as well.

Pros to Universal:
- More "thrill" rides.
- Wizarding World-mainly Diagon Alley-is incredible and very immersive (love that JKR refused to have standard products like soft drinks sold in these areas). The Jurassic Park area is pretty immersive as well.
- Staff are nice but more "realistic". ("Have a magical day!" has its charm and all but it can get kind of grating after awhile.)
- We didn't stay in any of the Universal hotels but they seem really good and I like that they are all quite close to the action while not being too close to all the noise.
- Everything was close to everything else which allowed for more flexibility in planning (well, as much as we could get with it being the middle of summer).

Cons to Universal:
- Wizarding World is so good but perhaps to a fault, because once we left it everything else in the park seemed to pale in comparison when being right next door to THAT awesomeness (I wish they would just make WW a third park on its own so we could just go there and skip the other stuff)
- Less variety in quickservice food options except in Wizarding World and we found it more expensive than at Disney.
- In much of the areas I felt like I was in a theme part and not in a special world. There's nothing WRONG with theme parks, of course, I love them, but I love feeling like I'm in a magical and unique place even more. Like in the Marvel area I wanted to feel like I was really in a city or something with all these superheroes and I just didn't (maybe I'm too spoiled lol).
- Everything was close together which, as I said, was great, but some things were so close it felt like an odd mishmash of stuff together and not all of it fit quite right.
- Their version of the Fastpass system costs extra (which can be both a good and bad thing in a way but I put it here because it has been unaffordable to the vast majority of people I have talked to who have gone there).
- We found that a lot of Universal's attractions are quite similar, like 3D movies in moving theaters (this was on the Universal Studios side of things, not IoA). By no means do they take up the majority of the park but we did kind of notice a pattern there. :p

Pros to Disney:
- A good majority of their parks/resorts have very immersive atmospheres (and even the areas that don't have it as strongly still make a decent attempt).
- Good staff who make an effort to be enthusiastic and helpful (I've been hearing that this has become lacking lately but the last time I visited an area of WDW other than Disney Spring was in August 2013).
- More options for food and the dining plan and all its variations was very useful for us.
- More to choose from in terms of resorts, plus there is DVC if you're into that sort of thing.
- More to do in general (four theme parks compared to Universal's two, Disney Springs, two water parks, other activities such as mini golf, and the opportunity to explore the other resorts if you are staying on property).
- More variety in activities offered (Universal's parks mainly focus on Hollywood and movies while Disney has parks that cover other topics).
- The opportunity to meet "face characters" which Universal does not have.

Cons to Disney:
- There is a lot of construction going on in certain areas right now and as a result a lot of attractions have closed and still have yet to be replaced and in some places it is hard to move around comfortably.
- Disney Springs is becoming more high-end which is cool as a theme but is becoming too costly for some families.
- Some staff can be overly chipper in an obviously phony way which gets annoying.
- The new Fastpass+ system is annoying especially that in two of the parks you have to choose between certain rides to get a pass for.
- The resort is so big that depending on where you stay (assuming you stay on property) it can take up to an hour to get from your hotel to your desired destination).
- The included transportation systems, particularly the buses, can have long waits and with so many people on the same shuttle at times it can be very uncomfortable.
- A lot of walking is involved, especially when staying in certain resorts or visiting certain parks, and this can be very bothersome for some guests.
- We noticed that a few rides in WDW are similar to one other, most notably the "Dumbo" style of ride, of which there are three in MK as well as one in AK. Not terrible just kind of repetitive and not very exciting.

We found that Disney caters to our family's needs better and while I love Universal I don't think I could spend a whole trip there. If I had to choose one I'd go with Disney because while there are things we missed at both we didn't feel the same pull to to check out more of Universal the way we did with Disney. I would love to take a day or two to explore Universal the next time we visit Orlando but for the rest of my family it's "Disney or bust" but I suppose that's fine with me too.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'd argue Transformers is one of the most immersive ride experiences in Orlando, thus the world. The action was so fast paced I really got into it and forgot I was on a ride. Awesome.
How do you feel about Spider-Man? I've always thought Transformers was like a newer, but less awesome version of Spidey.
I wish Transformers had actual, moving elements and real fire...

UpAllNight

How do you feel about Spider-Man? I've always thought Transformers was like a newer, but less awesome version of Spidey.

Hadn't been to Orlando for nearly a decade before this year and I always said Spiderman was the best ride on the planet. This trip I thought Forbidden Journey and Transformers exceeded it slightly.

EngineJoe

Felt the same way. Was underwhelmed by Transformers. I really liked Spidey when it first came out but now I prefer the roller coasters, Harry Potter and MIB.

UpAllNight

Felt the same way. Was underwhelmed by Transformers. I really liked Spidey when it first came out but now I prefer the roller coasters, Harry Potter and MIB.

I love how everyone's opinions on rides can differ so greatly...we were all plotting what they could do with the space if they tore MIB down...thought Buzz was a much stronger ride :)

Disneyhead'71

I love how everyone's opinions on rides can differ so greatly...we were all plotting what they could do with the space if they tore MIB down...thought Buzz was a much stronger ride :)
Really? I think everything about MiB is FAR superior to Buzz. Buzz has a dirty claustrophobic queue and a bunch of plywood flats as targets. I think this is where your love of Disney has clouded your judgement.

UpAllNight

Really? I think everything about MiB is FAR superior to Buzz. Buzz has a dirty claustrophobic queue and a bunch of plywood flats as targets. I think this is where your love of Disney has clouded your judgement.

I wouldn't agree with that conclusion, 3 of my top 5 rides in Orlando are Universal ones, and ones in Seaworld :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom