Has Disney Never Built Something That They Announced?

djmatthews

What about the Persian hotel and the other one (Far East theme) around the 7 Seas Lagoon? It was in the plans after Contemporary and Poly.

GoofyMike29

Originally posted by DMC-12
There was also a Big plan (like 10-15 years ago I think) in the works for Disney to build a huge Entertainment District in Downtown Chicago... but that never went thru.... We got a disney quest (now closed) and a ESPN Zone instead.

dude Philadelphia was scheduled to get one too, but the city at the time was too cheap and never actually put enough money into the project. Now all we have are strip clubs and bars:veryconfu

MGM WDWFan

Well, I keep hearing these "Beastly Kingdom" and "Fire Mountain" and "Bald Mountain" rumors, and they all seem pretty lame to me.

--MGM

WDWCook

Lets see....
There is Colonial disney which they planed on putting on the Marinac(sp) battle ground.

There is Mt. Fuji that kodac 86ed due to they did not want the name of one of there bigest competitiors in the park(or so the rumor goes)

Beastly Kingdome, South Africa exibit(canciled after sun city)

Buying Coney Island.

oh and opening 15 disney quests.

Horizons_03

Does anyone rember the Disney Quest project for philadelphia , that fell through. I do, ALso did the Pop Century resort ever get built or is it still just sitting there half built?
Thanks for you help
Horizons_03

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Back in the 1971 WDW Souvenir Book, the back page announced the Western River Expedition coming soon. This was supposed to be the replacement for the Pirates of the Caribbean at WDW's MK. Imagineers originally thought that Florida's close location to the real Caribbean would make POTC an unsuitable attraction for Florida. The WRE would be a next generation POTC with a western theme. Along with WRE would be a companion Mine Train attraction. These attractions would be located where BTM now exists in Frontierland. The land was actually cleared by WDW's opening day. Well, once WDW opened, visitors kept asking where the Pirates were. They quickly decided to add (by popular demand) the POTC. This put WRE on the back burner, never to be heard from again until Jim Hill did a lengthy piece on the subject. Of course we did get a mine train attraction, but I think we missed the best part of what was once "coming soon". If you go to Rotocats aerial photographs, under the MK section there is a picture of the MK in 1971 (taken over Frontierland). You can see the cleared land, ready for construction of the WRE.
www.rotocat.tripod.com/mk.htm is the address. Life Magazine published the picture.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
On the last post I listed a web page with a picture of Frontierland in 1971. The link doesn't work. you must type in rotocat.tripod.com/mk.htm in your location bar to get there. Sorry, I'm not sure what I did wrong before.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Yep, I'm back with another one. This attraction was to be a whole new land at Disneyland. Announced in the 1976 Annual Report was "Circusland". It was to be located on five acres both inside and outside the berm adjacent to "It's a Small World" (roughly where the Fantasyland Theatre and Toontown now exist.) Dumbo was to be re-located to Circusland and elevated on a platform (much like the Astro Orbitor at WDW's MK) above the land. By the looks of the model, Casey Jr. might have also been boarded from this location. The reports adds " a new Pinocchio dark ride with Stromboli's Little Puppet Theatre gracing it's queue line; a whimsical Clown Restaurant, and Mickey's Mad House, a thrilling ride-through themed to the 1030's and the days of glorious black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons and ragtime music. However, the highlight of this all-Disney themed area will be "Circus Disney", a major ride-through attraction featuring a myriad of favorite Disney characters, all brought to life through the "Audio-Animatronics" process. Guests will travel through the wild animal menagerie (featuring King Louie and Shere Khan from "The Jungle Book"); down the midway where familiar Disney stars may be seen in the sideshow like "The Amazing Flying Dumbo-Ninth Wonder of the World"; through clown alley and finally into the Big Top where they will actually be "on-stage" as part of the three-ring show, featuring such daredevil acts as "The Flying Goofys".
The strory went on to describe how the "Circus area would be connected to Frontieralnd through the developement of Discovery Bay along a portion of the Rivers of America. Themed to the San Fransisco of the gold rush age, Discovery Bay will bring to life a time and place that climaxed an age of discovery and expansion. Here would be located attractions based on the motion pictures "Island at the Top of the World" and "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," the latter featuring "undersea" dining in the Grand Salon of Captain Nemo's famous submarine."

So obviously, Disney used to announce projects much further out, during planning and design phases. Portions of the above projects have appeared in other areas of the parks, world-wide. It seem they are now more cautious about announcing future plans until they are actually ready for construction. This could be due to the increased competition in the theme park business. Secrecy seems to be the name of the game now.

wild01ride

How about Mission:Space??

My theory is that the whole thing is just a conspiracy- the building is made of paper mache and is hollow. It's just there to take up space.

Originally posted by wild01ride
How about Mission:Space??

My theory is that the whole thing is just a conspiracy- the building is made of paper mache and is hollow. It's just there to take up space.
didnt u hear?that was the plan all along. get it?mission: space as in its all space hahaha lol i crack myself up:hurl: ok well that was pointless,i think i need to cut back on the pixie stix

durhay

There is also coverage of WRE on the Widen Your World website. It's a good place for extinct attraction coverage as well.

maelstrom

i believe the asian hotel (which was to be where the grand floridian currently stands) was announced and then never happened. i've heard things about the israel pavillion at epcot that never happened. david copperfield's; the big billboard outside mgm showed the tower of terror coming soon after the plans for copperfield fell through, if i recall correctly. oh, and POP CENTURY!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom