Has Be Our Guest gone downhill?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
...or microwave eggs like in McDonalds ?
Are McDonalds eggs microwaved? In my younger years, I worked at Burger King. When I was there, all of the eggs we sold were received to the store frozen (cooked, but frozen). We thawed/reheated them in a convection oven and if you had one right when it came out of the oven, they were actually really good. The issue was that after they came out of the oven, they went into a steamer and after they came out of the steamer to go on a breakfast sandwich, they would pop the completed sandwich in an industrial strength microwave to help melt the cheese. If everything was done within the holding times that we were supposed to follow, it was still pretty good in the end, but the proper holding times were rarely obtained (except during the busiest times of day). And that's always been my problem having been a former fast food restaurant worker... you know how good fast food can be but you are always chasing that same quality and (almost) never finding it. Burger King fries straight out of the fryer right after the fryer has been cleaned and the oil completely replaced are spectacular! And a Whopper made with patties that have just come off the broiler are really, really good!

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
Starting to do some preliminary research on places t dine, etc. I haven't been to WDW since 2017, and at the time, I LOVED Be Our Guest, however, I've read a few reports mentioning how it's just not the same. Folks that have done dinner there recently (or at least more recently than I have) what are your thoughts? Is it still worth a dinner reservation?
We have just returned from WDW and Be Our Guest was our first booked lunch. We loved the atmosphere but sadly the food was sub-par. The french onion soup was very salty and mushy. Our main course of chicken was tough in places but the desserts were the best part although the truffle was extremely rich so we only took a tiny bite and left the rest.

Figments Friend

I think BOG will be a more reasonable proposition when / if more restaurants open at Magic Kingdom. Right now there aren’t enough themed dining options so I think BOG commands kinda absurd prices based on supply and demand. Back in the days of QS breakfast / lunch I think it was a fun themed restaurant, I don’t know that it lives up to the current price tag.

The general consensus seems to be that the food is “plated wedding dinner” quality - good, up to a certain standard, but not going to blow anyone’s mind. The castle is gorgeous but they don’t really “do” anything with that ambiance - no character interactions, no Belle and Beast dancing, no fun staff interactions in the style of Roundup Barbecue or Whispering Canyon Cafe. I don’t know if it’s just me but I always felt like some last extra step in the immersion was missing. Tables tend to be pretty close together as well and I think some rooms are very noisy.

Personally after looking at it long and hard for our next trip with the Grands, I decided on Liberty Tree Tavern instead. Honestly Liberty Tree would not have been on my list if not for the rave reviews, so I’m hoping it lives up to its reputation.

Rest easy knowing you made the right decision in choosing Liberty Tree Tavern.
One of my favorites at the Magic Kingdom for a filling table service meal.

They serve good food, and plenty of it.
Come hungry…and be sure to leave room for their signature dessert!
🙂
-

Disstevefan1

Starting to do some preliminary research on places t dine, etc. I haven't been to WDW since 2017, and at the time, I LOVED Be Our Guest, however, I've read a few reports mentioning how it's just not the same. Folks that have done dinner there recently (or at least more recently than I have) what are your thoughts? Is it still worth a dinner reservation?

Has Be Our Guest gone downhill? Yes, as designed.​

BeanCounterBob

We ate there a few weeks ago and loved everything that we had. The inside is stunning, this being our third time, and we were able to sit in the main room. Usually we were in the study. We loved the meal and our waiter was great. My beef with BOG is the waiting room. Its a $200 plus meal, for 3 of us, and we sat on the floor in that side room for around 20 minutes. You would think there would be chairs for a lot of people; not the 4 chairs that are in there. Its a castle....I am sure the Beast has plenty of chairs he could place in that room so his guests are not of the floor

Smiley/OCD

Rest easy knowing you made the right decision in choosing Liberty Tree Tavern.
One of my favorites at the Magic Kingdom for a filling table service meal.

They serve good food, and plenty of it.
Come hungry…and be sure to leave room for their signature dessert!
🙂
-
Another vote for LTT…good all around filling meal, the pot roast is excellent and the dessert too!

We ate at BoG 3 times…twice when if first opened (we were impressed) and then 2014 with our friends who wanted to try it. Just like with CRT, you’re going for the ambiance, NOT the food quality which is sad, VERY sad because of the price. We haven’t been back since then…

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Another vote for LTT…good all around filling meal, the pot roast is excellent and the dessert too!

We ate at BoG 3 times…twice when if first opened (we were impressed) and then 2014 with our friends who wanted to try it. Just like with CRT, you’re going for the ambiance, NOT the food quality which is sad, VERY sad because of the price. We haven’t been back since then…
My last time there was in September '17 with the dining plan

Figments Friend

BOG is worth doing at least once to experience the interior.
Unless you are a mega Beauty & the Beast fan, I find once is enough if you are looking for more bang for your buck.

It IS quite nice inside visually, but ambiance can be luck of the draw depending on when you visit , crowds, etc.
And that is really what you are paying for….the experience.
I recommend it for those interested, so I say go for it.
But do not expect ‘gourmet’ food that fits the setting now…those days are passed us.

I have been a few times with various friends over the years who have wanted to experience it and have been through all of their service changes.
I will say that despite the fixed menu today, I like it better now than back when it was the quick service offerings.
Back when lunch time featured the self service soda fountains…that totally spoiled what was supposed to be ‘dining in the castle’ feel and it was packed with little kids screaming.
Different scene now, so slightly better.

Also of note that I feel makes a difference today -
Beast now visits with Guests during ALL meals, not just dinner as previously.
That was a nice surprise when I last dined there last year.
Just be aware that he strolls randomly through the castle rooms waving at Guests, and cannot linger for individual photo and autograph sessions.

-

Minnie1986

Original Poster
BOG is worth doing at least once to experience the interior.
Unless you are a mega Beauty & the Beast fan, I find once is enough if you are looking for more bang for your buck.

It IS quite nice inside visually, but ambiance can be luck of the draw depending on when you visit , crowds, etc.
And that is really what you are paying for….the experience.
I recommend it for those interested, so I say go for it.
But do not expect ‘gourmet’ food that fits the setting now…those days are passed us.

I have been a few times with various friends over the years who have wanted to experience it and have been through all of iths service changes.
I will say that despite the fixed menu today, I like it better now than back when it was the quick service offerings.
Back when lunch time featured the self service soda fountains…that totally spoiled what was supposed to be ‘dining in the castle’ feel and it was packed with little kids screaming.
Different scene now, so slightly better.

Also of note that I feel makes a difference today -
Beast now visits with Guests during ALL meals, not just dinner.
That was a nice surprise when I last dined there last year.
Just be aware that he strolls randomly through the castle rooms waving at Guests, and cannot linger for individual photo and autograph sessions.

-
I've been multiple times, and have enjoyed it. However, it's been quite a while (7 years between when I last went and when I will next be in WDW). My niece and goddaughter have not been, so I'm ultimately trying to decide if it's worth taking them. Is it still included on the dining plan?

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

I've been multiple times, and have enjoyed. However, it's been quite a while (7 years between when I last went and when I will next be in WDW). My niece and goddaughter have not been, so I'm ultimately trying to decide if it worth taking them. Is it still included on the dining plan?
Yes, but for 2 credits, making it one of the very worst (meaning: most financially wasteful) uses of the DDP. If you opt to go, you're better off paying out of pocket, and using your TS credits somewhere else. (To summarize the math, a TS credit on the DDP is worth about $63/adult, so a 2-credit meal needs to cost $126 just to break even. The math is more favorable when it comes to kids, so assuming your neice and goddaughter are under age 10 at the time of their visit, you'd stand to save about $10 on each of them, but that still wouldn't come close to making up for the $60+ you lost by using the DDP for your adult meal. If either girl is 10 or older, you come out even further behind.)

More information here: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/be-our-guest-restaurant-worth-high-price/
And here: https://touringplans.com/blog/think-twice-before-using-two-ddp-credits-on-one-meal/

Last edited:

Eric Graham

We were going to go for lunch recently, but it wasn't worth the price comparison to us. I mean, though, it's awfully beautiful inside with the rose, the falling snow etc. Even my dog is named Belle.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Yes, but for 2 credits, making it one of the very worst (meaning: most financially wasteful) uses of the DDP. If you opt to go, you're better off paying out of pocket, and using your TS credits somewhere else. (To summarize the math, a TS credit on the DDP is worth about $63/adult, so a 2-credit meal needs to cost $126 just to break even. The math is more favorable when it comes to kids, so assuming your neice and goddaughter are under age 10 at the time of their visit, you'd stand to save about $10 on each of them, but that still wouldn't come close to making up for the $60+ you lost by using the DDP for your adult meal. If either girl is 10 or older, you come out even further behind.)

More information here: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/be-our-guest-restaurant-worth-high-price/
And here: https://touringplans.com/blog/think-twice-before-using-two-ddp-credits-on-one-meal/
I thought I remember seeing somewhere that it was now 2 credits. Thanks for the reminder! I'll save it off of the restaurants to be used on the DDP, and if, for some reason the girls really want to go, then that's what auntie's AMEX is for😂

LittleMerman

The dinner and lunch used to be great. The dinner has been just good lately. I went the other day and the French onion soup was really good but the filet was just alright.

But the restaurant is so cute and I love the reserve wines so I don't really care! But I do wish it wasn't prix fixe - hate that a lot of table service restaurants are doing that now. I eat so much at Disney that I get so full and end up wasting so much food.

RealBlast3

Always had an amazing meal there, from apps to entre to dessert. Ate there twice in the last year. Last time I had the Trout Almodine as my main course and I am still dreaming about it. Sorry to hear people have had otherwise.

I also always had good breakfasts back when they had it, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom