Has anyone used their old Magic Bands

graphite1326

Original Poster
So I have about 10 of them. My newest being 2 years old. I was thinking about using that one for my upcoming trip rather than order a new one. I have read that the batteries last about 2-3 years. Has anyone ever tried using an old band?

Raxel7851

We were there last week with our new MB+ bands. We charged them each night. There were several times after riding POTC and HM we received a message that we had to choose which photo was ours. I’m not sure if that’s a MB issue or a timing issue on the ride.

Weather_Lady

We last visited in August, using 12 different bands (all MagicBands 2.0 with the round puck, NOT MagicBand+) that were all 4-8 years old.* Although they didn't always work for things that needed to happen over a distance (e.g., capturing on-ride photos automatically, although to our amazement, they DID still work for that a couple of times!), they worked for anything at which they can be tapped: park entry, hotel room entry, lightning lanes, payment, manually adding on-ride photos at the exist kiosk, etc.

Just check My Disney Experience and make sure the bands you want to use are still linked and listed as "active."

*Footnote: There were only 4 of us, but we brought 12 bands, for the simple reason that they all had MagicYourBand skins on them in various designs and colors (the skins were complimentary, comped by David's Vacation Rentals the last few times we rented points from them as a thank-you-for-booking gift), and we each wanted to be able to wear the ones that best matched our outfit/destination/mood each day. ;)

Last edited:

graphite1326

Original Poster
Alright! Thanks everyone. I looked up the bands on mydisneyexperience and they are still linked. But would it be safe to say if they did not work we could buy new ones and have them linked while at WDW (or maybe the front desk could do this at my resort).

JaxFLBear

Alright! Thanks everyone. I looked up the bands on mydisneyexperience and they are still linked. But would it be safe to say if they did not work we could buy new ones and have them linked while at WDW (or maybe the front desk could do this at my resort).
If you buy new ones on-property, you can link them yourself using the MDE mobile app.

Nottamus

Last two trips made last year -I used a less than 1 year old band AND still had to go to desk to reactivate. Not sure why what happened
Trying band + this trip in two weeks for all the hoopla

I use multiple bands on a trip - one I keep in car to activate resort gate

Worldlover71

As long as the old band is linked to the account, you should have no problem. We were there a few weeks ago with some new bands and old ones from 2017 and 2019. The old ones worked fine for payment, door opening and getting into the park (I checked before going to make sure they were still linked to my account.) They did not work for ride photos, but because we also had new ones with us, we got to see the photos anyway (even though we never buy them.)

donnylambb

So I have about 10 of them. My newest being 2 years old. I was thinking about using that one for my upcoming trip rather than order a new one. I have read that the batteries last about 2-3 years. Has anyone ever tried using an old band?
we just got back and used ours that were about 1 year old. held a charge and worked great

Laura

Premium Member
I never even thought about them having a lifespan. I’ve been using the same one for so many years. No wonder my on ride photos never ever work. 😂

Tiki Traveler

Remember you can get a free card at the front desk of your hotel too! Not as fun as a magic band but still a possibility…

Last edited:

DisneyFanatic12

Maybe you can. I'm 67 years old and not tech savvy (nor do I want to be). I have the app on my phone and getting times for rides like GOTG is about the top of my ability.
No worries! A cast member at the front desk would be happy to assist you. They’ve linked magic bands for my grandparents multiple times, but with the MagicBand+, they might have to guide you through using the app to do so (again, they would be happy to assist you). Either way, it should not be an issue and it’s definitely a common task for guest relations and front desk cast members!

AndyS2992

I took my 2015 ones back last year and they worked just fine, even picked up the photos, though may be because I had my phone with Bluetooth on and MDE signed in.

MickeyLuv'r

Maybe you can. I'm 67 years old and not tech savvy (nor do I want to be). I have the app on my phone and getting times for rides like GOTG is about the top of my ability.
If you don't want to buy all new bands, buying just one would be probably suffice to get most ride photos, as long as you stay together, and maybe stop to scan at the end of the rides.

We initially had trouble with our plus bands. I think eventually WDW improved the software, but it is still a bit of a pain to get them to properly pair some days, and also a bit of a pain to charge them at night. Ours also have a tendency to fall off more than earlier bands did. I suggest you might want to avoid them. Some of the light effects are a bit fun the first few times you see them, but not a big deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom